PDA

View Full Version : How do you pin a mag in a FAL?

DrjonesUSA
12-21-2005, 4:17 PM
I may just buy a complete FAL, but I'd likely have to have the seller pin a mag in.

How do you do it exactly, to satisfy the CA DOJ standards?

Can anyone do it easily, or would it require a gunsmith?

Are there any kits readily available?

Thanks!

Leo762
12-21-2005, 4:57 PM
really easy to do

http://www.webshooters.org/diy_california_fal.htm

on my first one it drilled easy with no problems on the second one the steel was a lot stronger and broke the bit a couple times, another time it overheated and dulled, eventually i got through but it cracked when i was threading it. so i welded the crack back and it looks bad if you look closely otherwise you cant see it.

glock_this
12-21-2005, 5:08 PM
xxxxxx xxxxxx

Mike Searson
12-21-2005, 9:31 PM
The hardest part is drilling the hole in the mag release.
That webshooters guide was how I did mine.
Once it's drilled and tapped you insert the mag into the weapon, insert the mag catch and lock down the set screw.

I sold both of mine within hours of moving to Nevada and unneutered my FALs. To convert back took less than 5 minutes.

C.G.
12-22-2005, 2:52 AM
The hardest part is drilling the hole in the mag release.
That webshooters guide was how I did mine.
Once it's drilled and tapped you insert the mag into the weapon, insert the mag catch and lock down the set screw.

Important tools and advice:
1] Good low rpm drill
2] Do not use cheap drill bits, may need two; even good bits break sometime.
3] Cutting oil helps.
4] Run the first tap slowly, back up often, otherwise you will break the tap. When done, take a new tap and clean up the threads.

BigMac
12-22-2005, 9:32 PM
I've made at least 6 on one drill bit and tap. I'm not sure how you guys are breaking them.

M14Gunman
12-25-2005, 12:54 AM
I originally was going to do this but then I just bought an M1A....same caliber, similar balistics and accuracy, no nuetering.