PDA

View Full Version : Will the age restriction ever be changed?

g21owner
01-12-2010, 2:03 PM
OK so suppose the 2nd is found to be incorporated to the states. Will the "21 to buy a handgun" law ever be repealed? I mean I didn't know the Bill Of Rights only applied to those 21 and over.

Also, if by some miracle CA becomes a shall issue state what are the chances an 18 year old would be able to get a ccw.

One more thing, If the 2nd is upheld will we ever get Vermont or Alaska style laws i.e If your able to purchase a gun legally your able to carry it? Cause if you think about it once the government is able to license something its no longer a right just a priveledge.

Sorry for the questions, I would just really like to hear my chances of ever living in a truly free state

Josh3239
01-12-2010, 2:21 PM
I think 21 is the minimum age to apply for a CCW. The 21 age limit isn't going anywhere, besides there are waaaay bigger and better battles to fight.

The government isn't licensing ownership, they are licensing carrying. Carrying is far harder to defend them ownership. Permits aren't going anywhere.

Probably as free as this state is going to get is shall issue, AWB gone, mag ban gone, and .50's gone.

Corbin Dallas
01-12-2010, 3:23 PM
OK so suppose the 2nd is found to be incorporated to the states. Will the "21 to buy a handgun" law ever be repealed? I mean I didn't know the Bill Of Rights only applied to those 21 and over.

Also, if by some miracle CA becomes a shall issue state what are the chances an 18 year old would be able to get a ccw.

One more thing, If the 2nd is upheld will we ever get Vermont or Alaska style laws i.e If your able to purchase a gun legally your able to carry it? Cause if you think about it once the government is able to license something its no longer a right just a priveledge.

Sorry for the questions, I would just really like to hear my chances of ever living in a truly free state

I'm sure it will be right behind lowering the minimum drinking age.

As for Q #2, it doesn't look good for CA residents even if incorporation passes.

BKinzey
01-12-2010, 3:36 PM
You can rest assured you'll be 21 before, possibly long before, any legislation lowers the age from 21 to 18. There just aren't the people interested in fighting that fight.

Theseus
01-12-2010, 7:12 PM
Although there are arguably a lot of disenfranchised 18-21 year olds that can vote for the administration that can deliver this

Gray Peterson
01-12-2010, 7:40 PM
Eugene Volokh over at Volokh Conspiracy has been talking about this in law review articles. Again, it all depends on scrutiny. That being said, it's a third tier issue that would likely get fixed before 922(o) (registering post-86 machine guns). We need right to carry first. We need the Navegar standard in DC Circuit fixed so we can challenge the federal law. California law allows the issuance of licenses at 18 years of age currently.

g21owner
01-12-2010, 8:35 PM
California law allows the issuance of licenses at 18 years of age currently.

But this is at the discretion of the Sheriff, correct? So if the Shall issue thing takes Sheriff's discretion out of the CCW equation, will they have to issue a license to an 18 year old? After all 18 year olds are able to own handguns.

yellowfin
01-12-2010, 9:18 PM
College campus carry is a higher priority AND would likely serve to reach the 18-20 demographic to stimulate demand needed to get it done. Meanwhile thank whatever god you pray to 1000x that you don't have New York State's minimum age to shoot law- that has done catastrophic damage to us and makes me so mad I could chew a cup full of screws and spit out a spatula.

loather
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
[This] makes me so mad I could chew a cup full of screws and spit out a spatula.

You owe me a new keyboard. :) I laughed so hard I spit beer all over my keyboard. Beer is sticky!

forgiven
01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
No.

Colt-45
01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Unfortunately you'll have to wait til you're 21. Sorry man and if this were to happen iy wouldn't happen in this decade.

cmth
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Cause if you think about it once the government is able to license something its no longer a right just a priveledge.

Careful with that talk around here. The "right people" will be coming along shortly to put you in your place. We don't discuss rights versus privileges, nor do we entertain the thought that we might someday live in a truly free state (this one or the other 49). You won't find any of that in California. Maybe you and I will cross paths someday in a free state, perhaps Alaska, but certainly not this one. Keep dreamin' the dream there, bub.