PDA

View Full Version : Moving firearms interstate by Household moving company

hunterkm77
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I work for regular transporting company and one of my customer ask us if we can transport his firearms to Vegas out of California with their Household goods.

As a gunowner myself, I thought this is good question. I know some people has room filled with firearms and when they try to move out of state they can move their own.

Does any one can help me if Third Party Moving company can transfer on behalf of the orignal gun owner?

Is there any legal problem?

Appreciate your help!!

GearHead
01-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't think the actual act of transportation is a problem as long as the guns are legal in Vegas (which shouldn't be an issue since NV has less restrictive gun laws that CA) since interstate movement of legal guns is perfectly fine . The issue you might run into is a contractor moving them rather than the actual owner.

Obviously, I am not a lawyer and if I was in the same situation, I would just load my truck with my guns in a locked container and do it myself. I am interested to see what others say.

Window_Seat
01-12-2010, 11:58 AM
It is a good question, one I haven't thought of... I wonder on that note as well vice versa with AB-962. As far as the moving company, I'm sure that the reputable ones have their ducks and eyes with better than 20/20 on that issue, and they would be able to give you the straight shot (pun intended).

Erik.

SJgunguy24
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
This has been asked before, IIRC most moving contractors won't touch firearms for interstate moves. I wouldn't just because of states like California where a company could be illegally importing AW per state law. Now leaving California is different, I would still like to be in control of my own firearms.

I'm sure there are contractors who deal with firearms and i'd bet they cost a pretty penny just because of the liability aspect. That little pocket gun could be worth 10K$ , you never know with some guns.

bwiese
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Non AWs? No hicaps?
Locked & unloaded?
Sounds OK to me.

Methinks a licensed interstate mover would have some common carrier protections. UPS can move your guns, why not United Van Lines or Mayflower?

When I moved into my townhouse, I bought a new safe, and had the old safe shipped down to my place and did a swap/trade-in there.
The old safe had many of my guns including my Cat II reg'd AWs, and I rode with the old safe's movers.

zinfull
01-12-2010, 3:36 PM
Unless the people moving want to replace the guns I would not pack them up with any movers. I have lost to much stuff between moves. You would be better off taking them to a turn in and collect the gift cards.

jerry

jamesob
01-12-2010, 7:00 PM
legal? yes as long as they are legal. smart? i would never do it myself since i trust nobody.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-12-2010, 9:16 PM
Methinks a licensed interstate mover would have some common carrier protections. UPS can move your guns, why not United Van Lines or Mayflower?

Yes. Even if the particular moving company hasn't attained common carrier status, they are certainly a contract carrier. The Gun Control Act mentions both common and contract carriers as ways of shipping firearms. Most moving companies choose not to move firearms as a matter of company policy, not law. This business decision may or may not be influenced by insurance costs, I don't know.

It is important that all firearms be signed for when they reach their destination. Federal law requires this.

too old for this
01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
"UPS can move your guns, why not United Van Lines or Mayflower?"
It has been my experience that UPS and FedEx will only deliver firearms that come from a FFL or are going to an FFL.

When I moved to California in 2008, I carried my guns myself. If coming in to California beware to the 10 round mag limit and an import limitation of only 10 rounds. The 10 round import limit [not to mention of the mag size issue] seems rather dumb to me. But then myself defense gun only holds 10 rounds and Barstow is not that far a drive from the NV stateline

Sgt Raven
01-12-2010, 11:06 PM
"UPS can move your guns, why not United Van Lines or Mayflower?"
It has been my experience that UPS and FedEx will only deliver firearms that come from a FFL or are going to an FFL.

When I moved to California in 2008, I carried my guns myself. If coming in to California beware to the 10 round mag limit and an import limitation of only 10 rounds. The 10 round import limit [not to mention of the mag size issue] seems rather dumb to me. But then myself defense gun only holds 10 rounds and Barstow is not that far a drive from the NV stateline

This is not my experience, I've used both at different times to ship firearms to myself. ;)

hunterkm77
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I really appreciate all you guys for all good advise!:D

hammerhands32
01-13-2010, 1:30 PM
Per Allied Van lines policy Firearms may be transported but must be listed by make model and serial number on inventory and must also be packed in a carton that cannot list firearms as its contents (it can say sporting goods or etc..)

Riodog
01-13-2010, 3:20 PM
As per Hammerhands, BW snd a few others. It is perfectly legal for the moving companies to transport your firearms depending upon what the compa ny policy is. As an owner/operator for many years, leased on with different carriers, I've hauled weapons of all types to or threw just about all of the lower 48 and Canada.
Inventoried, complete description, and photos just to cover all happenings. Must be carried in trailer and secured. Paperwork is everything.
That's looking at it from a carriers point of veiw. From the owners point of view, I would move them myself.
Rio

-hanko
01-13-2010, 4:10 PM
Paperwork is indeed everything:cool:

Otoh, I've had company-moves from SF area to DFW, DFW back to CA, CA to ID.

Movers (Mayflower, United & Atlas Van Lines) will move almost everything, but you need to read their insurance conditions as to how much and what is covered.;)

I moved all guns & most ammo myself...in addition, I took other irreplaceable stuff...wife's good silverware, family photos, coin & stamp collections. If anything were missing on the other end, it's my bad v. negotiating with the moving company and their insurer.

Have a good move.

-hanko