PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Years for Machine Gun Possession in San Diego

lumwilliam
01-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't know if this one is already up - Jason Hilliard was busted with 4 "machine guns" in his pickup and "a couple hundred rounds" of ammo. I'd like to know what kind of guns he had & what the definition of "Arsenal" was to the court - can't imagine he could fit many Gatling Guns in a pickup. Is this guy a CalGunner? I gotta admit it was pretty stupid of him to go into PB this heavily armed, and to smash into a parked car, no less, but I hate to see him get crucified like this if he has no priors and a clean record.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/11/lake-elsinore-man-sentence-to-prison-for/

Lake Elsinore man sentenced to prison for unregistered arsenal

By Jose Luis Jiménez, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Monday, January 11, 2010 at 6:23 p.m.

FEDERAL COURT — A Lake Elsinore man in possession of four unregistered machine guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his pickup truck was sentenced Monday to 6 1/2 years in prison, federal officials said.

Jason Hilliard, 36, was arrested May 6 when San Diego police found the arsenal inside his car after an accident with a parked vehicle in Pacific Beach, officials said.

Hilliard pleaded guilty in October to three felony counts of possession of unregistered machine guns and went to trial on two remaining counts, officials said. He was found guilty on one of the two remaining counts Oct. 20, and he was sentenced Monday based on his conviction on a total of four counts of possession of unregistered machine guns, officials said.

If convicted on all five of the original counts in the indictment, he faced a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison and $500,000 in fines, officials said previously.

San Diego police officers found the machine guns and ammunition among six firearms in the car. They also found a ski mask, duct tape and a large overcoat.

A subsequent search of Hilliard’s home turned up nine more guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, a silencer and two pipe bombs, authorities previously said.

Hilliard told officers he removed the firearms from his home for safety reasons after a fight with his fiancee, according to court records.

M198
01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't care how clean his past is, his future was looking pretty bloody. Ski mask, duct tape, overcoat, and two pipe bombs = something going down. 6.5 years seems awfully short for the unregistered weapons and pipe bombs. Surprised he wasn't dragged to Gitmo by a Bush appointee.

Seesm
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't care how clean his past is, his future was looking pretty bloody. Ski mask, duct tape, overcoat, and two pipe bombs = something going down. 6.5 years seems awfully short for the unregistered weapons and pipe bombs. Surprised he wasn't dragged to Gitmo by a Bush appointee.

FOR sure... Don't know if this one is already up - Jason Hilliard I hate to see him get crucified like this if he has no priors and a clean record.

They also found a ski mask, duct tape and a large overcoat.
A subsequent search of Hilliard’s home turned up nine more guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, a silencer and two pipe bombs, authorities previously said.

Hilliard told officers he removed the firearms from his home for safety reasons after a fight with his fiancee, according to court records.
[/I][/INDENT]

Sounds like he had some plans to do some damage somewhere... I am surprised you said you do not want to see him crusified... The Mg's do not bug me AT ALL... I think we should be able to own them but... the rest of the stuff? He had a serious night planned out... Just my opinion however.

bigcalidave
01-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Silencers are wonderful, we should be able to have them here so we can all shoot and save our ears :D

I can't believe he had duct tape and didn't get 20 years.

M198
01-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Silencers are wonderful, we should be able to have them here so we can all shoot and save our ears :D

Duct tape, ski mask, and pipe bombs are not problem. Neither is fertilizer and diesel. For that matter, ether and a bunny suit.

louscamaro91
01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
This was no first timer with that gear in his truck...He's pretty lucky the cops got to him first with what he was planning to do. Guy's like this are scum and make the noble gunowner look bad.

eric2063
01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Bet his "fiancee" is glad he got caught before he made it back home I don't think anything good would have come of that. And I agree with louscamero91 it wasn't his first rodeo

Maestro Pistolero
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Ah, the poor guy was on his way to go skiing, the bombs were just for avalanche control. The duct tape, well, who doesn't have a couple of rolls of that laying around? As for the machine guns, he was simply preventing them from becoming some of the 90% of fully automatic weapons that are flowing into Mexico.

joelberg
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I keep a ski mask and duct tape on my motorcycle at all times. Never know when the duct tape will come in handy or when it gets really cold and I need to wear the balaclava under my helmet to keep my face warm, especially in wintertime.

I know it seems super shady that he has all of them together, but just having those things together is not necessarily damning.

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 4:38 AM
jeez you guys sure seem to jump on a guy for piddly crap.

who doesn't have duct tape?

ski mask? I've go those... gloves too..... along with a trench coat.... cause i get COLD here in NYC...

had them back in CA too... because I rode a motorcycle.... at night... and it can get COLD

no machine guns (or even regular guns) or pipe bombs or silencers or ammo..... but I have PICTURES of those things on my computer.... and I frequent a right wing extremist website (calguns)...

I must be planning something horrible... quick... call big brother.

louscamaro91
01-12-2010, 4:49 AM
People who are knowingly breaking the law on several counts are not right in the head. Sure if he got stopped and DIDN'T have FOUR MACHINE GUNS in his truck then sure can't prove any ill intentions then. Then come to find out the azzhole has bombs and a silencer at his home. Come on give him a break.. I think not, Everyone and their brother know the repercussions of illegal weapons in CA especially. There was a story like this a couple years back like 3 or 4 years. A doctor out of Sacramento, his home was raided and sure he wasn't out cruising with them, was busted for having several RPG's, MG, Grenades everything under the sun. Do you feel sympathy for this guy?

Diabolus
01-12-2010, 5:15 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I keep a ski mask and duct tape on my motorcycle at all times. Never know when the duct tape will come in handy or when it gets really cold and I need to wear the balaclava under my helmet to keep my face warm, especially in wintertime.

I know it seems super shady that he has all of them together, but just having those things together is not necessarily damning.

I understand your point, but its a bit of a stretch! :)

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 5:28 AM
People who are knowingly breaking the law on several counts are not right in the head. Sure if he got stopped and DIDN'T have FOUR MACHINE GUNS in his truck then sure can't prove any ill intentions then. Then come to find out the azzhole has bombs and a silencer at his home. Come on give him a break.. I think not, Everyone and their brother know the repercussions of illegal weapons in CA especially. There was a story like this a couple years back like 3 or 4 years. A doctor out of Sacramento, his home was raided and sure he wasn't out cruising with them, was busted for having several RPG's, MG, Grenades everything under the sun. Do you feel sympathy for this guy?

Yes.

Inanimate objects are inanimate objects.

You would be very surprised at what upstanding members of your community have squirreled away for rainy days.

they aren't hurting anyone,

they aren't committing any crimes unrelated to the simple POSSESSION of the firearms.

The only reason the stuff is illegal in the first place is because the government won't collect the tax they say gives them the authority to regulate them in the first place.

you do realize that posession of an unregistered machine gun is a crime of TAX EVASION in the amount of $200 right?

$200 they won't LET you pay...

kind of hard to say that a guy deserves six years of prison and the complete removal of his god given rights for not paying $1000 in back taxes... taxes that the government REFUSES to collect.

Its not something I would do myself.... but I would never convict a man for it, nor would I condemn or criticize a man for it.

oaklander
01-12-2010, 5:33 AM
I have a motorcycle balaclava that looks like a ski mask, duct tape, thousands of rounds of ammo too. I also have not one but SEVERAL overcoats!!!

:eek:

ski mask? I've go those... gloves too..... along with a trench coat.... cause i get COLD here in NYC...

had them back in CA too... because I rode a motorcycle.... at night... and it can get COLD

no machine guns (or even regular guns) or pipe bombs or silencers or ammo..... but I have PICTURES of those things on my computer.... and I frequent a right wing extremist website (calguns)...

Fjold
01-12-2010, 5:53 AM

Do keep one in your pickup in case it gets cold out?

joelberg
01-12-2010, 6:00 AM
Do keep one in your pickup in case it gets cold out?

Yes, and a blanket and a warm jacket in case my truck breaks down and I have to wait several hours in the cold or walk for assistance. I also keep a 30 pack of water in my truck and often have a handgun in my posession :-O

I didn't say this guy isn't a jerk off who deserves to go to prison, I'm just saying that we should be skeptical as he wasn't caught actually hurting anyone.

Pyrodyne
01-12-2010, 6:52 AM
Yes, and a blanket and a warm jacket in case my truck breaks down and I have to wait several hours in the cold or walk for assistance. I also keep a 30 pack of water in my truck and often have a handgun in my posession :-O

I didn't say this guy isn't a jerk off who deserves to go to prison, I'm just saying that we should be skeptical as he wasn't caught actually hurting anyone.

Pipe bombs?

Theseus
01-12-2010, 7:51 AM
Although sans firearms in one of my trucks I have my full camping gear and tools including shovels, rope, duck tape, gasoline, flares, sleeping bags, trash bags, ponchos, hatchets, etc. . . All of these things could make it look like I am out to bury a body. . . maybe I should clean the transmission fluid off the carpet before someone gets the wrong idea.

YubaRiver
01-12-2010, 8:04 AM

Imagine the sentence if he had a screw driver or a tire iron.

Or adult diapers.

hardrivr
01-12-2010, 8:31 AM
Another report of this...

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/lake-elsinore/445a6ea9-4723-573c-8ca6-69232f8cf294.html

It sounds like this guy meant business, I'm sure there's people on this board, in this state that have several high cap mags loaded just waiting for the wrong person to break-in, or for the SHTF type script to actually take place... but it really sounds (again by the reports from the paper, and we all know how 100% accurate they are!) like he was going to play somewhere with some very deadly and dangerous stuff... just my .02 cents worth!

I just wonder if he really had machine guns or just evil black rifles or AK's type that accepted high cap mags?

bwiese
01-12-2010, 9:56 AM
Only 6.5yrs for 4 MGs? Dude did well.

missiondude
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Duct tape, ski mask, and pipe bombs are not problem. Neither is fertilizer and diesel. For that matter, ether and a bunny suit.

Shhhh The ether bunny is coming...:D

Jicko
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Are they going to further prosecute him on the silencer, in CA and (federally, if he doesn't have a stamp)... and the pipe-bomb (destructive device)?

ALSystems
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a motorcycle balaclava that looks like a ski mask, duct tape, thousands of rounds of ammo too. I also have not one but SEVERAL overcoats!!!

:eek:
What would happen if you were pulled over while going to the range with some rifles and high cap magazines? :innocent:
The report would probably read, "Suspicious right-wing extremist :44: caught in attempted terrorist plot."

Newspapers have become such propaganda filled rags, it's hard to know what to believe these days. :shrug:

Cokebottle
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't care how clean his past is, his future was looking pretty bloody. Ski mask, duct tape, overcoat, and two pipe bombs = something going down.
Ignoring the pipe bombs, when I used to help a buddy repipe houses, I would wear a ski mask and sweats, and would duct-tape the legs to my boots, sleeves to my gloves, and neck to my ski mask... kept the bugs out, and kept the fine dirt somewhat under control (it was still like crawling in baby powder and I would not get "feelable" sweat on my skin for a week after a project).
On cold or rainy days, I'd also have an overcoat in my truck.

As a matter of fact, I think I may have a ski mask and duct tape in my truck right now (not positive about the ski mask, I know there's a watch cap out there)... and I KNOW that I have a ski mask and duct tape in the saddlebag on my bike. Just because items are found together doesn't mean they are used together.

It's typical media fluff. The guy effed up with the pipe bombs and the unregistered FAW's. Even the pipe bombs could be a media (and legal) "construction".... if the guy was a plumber who did hand loading, he would certainly be in "constructive possession" of the materials to make a pipe bomb. If he also had a welder, perhaps he had some pipe nipples with threaded caps that he used to store his electrodes?

Decoligny
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM

I have the following items at my home:
1. Duct Tape
2. Ski Mask
3. Surgical Gloves
4. Rope
5. Propane Torch
6. Hacksaws
7. Hatchet
8. Chainsaw
9. Garbage Bags
10. Large Rubbermade Containers
11. Shovels
12. Bathtub
13. Bleach
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Every single item has a specific purpose, some more than one specific purpose. None of these purposes are nefarious in nature.

Cokebottle
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
The report would probably read, "Oakland-based lawyer for suspicious right-wing extremist group :44: caught in attempted terrorist plot."
Fixed it for you ;)

BigBronco
01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I am so glad I did not hit a parked car on the way home from the range today. I seriously need to clean out the back of the Bronco. NO MG's however the counts would have been higher and had most everything else. No pipe bombs.

We all should have come to the defense of this unfortunate citizen. Whom, is protected by our second amendment. He should never been tried unless he had no insurance covering the parked car he hit. This stand up nut bag deserved better. Just think of the precedence, that would have protected us all if he won in court.

Just how many MG's can you shoot at once. Ever try to shoot two at once. It is a *****. Blows the accuracy to hell. Making him even less dangerous. He was obviously a collector. Or he just did not want to violate the 10 round limit.

LOL I just had to get a laugh or cry at the same time. While I agree this guy had issues. How I have to wonder again, Where did our rights go? How long till we have to show ID and get thumb printed to buy duct tape, Ski masks or Pipe?

MasterYong
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I have no issues with the ski mask, duct tape, and large overcoat.

Honestly I have all three in my truck right now (balaclava cuz it's COLD in Humboldt this time of year, oilskin trenchcoat for same reason plus rain, duct tape because, well, it's DUCT TAPE. Who DOESN'T keep that in their truck?).

It's the pipe bombs that worry me. I can't think of a legit use for those. Big difference than commercially-made and legally-possessed explosives and PIPE BOMBS. :D

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 1:12 PM
It's the pipe bombs that worry me. I can't think of a legit use for those. Big difference than commercially-made and legally-possessed explosives and PIPE BOMBS. :D

You never anything fun in highschool did you ;)

IsaacGlass
01-12-2010, 1:23 PM
I dont think the guy was a member of the forum, Calgunner's are law abiding citizens

MasterYong
01-12-2010, 1:58 PM
You never anything fun in highschool did you ;)

Not that I'd post on teh internetz.

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 3:38 PM
Not that I'd post on teh internetz.

Statute of limitations.... gotta love it.

B Strong
01-12-2010, 3:52 PM
Yes.

Inanimate objects are inanimate objects.

You would be very surprised at what upstanding members of your community have squirreled away for rainy days.

they aren't hurting anyone,

they aren't committing any crimes unrelated to the simple POSSESSION of the firearms.

The only reason the stuff is illegal in the first place is because the government won't collect the tax they say gives them the authority to regulate them in the first place.

you do realize that posession of an unregistered machine gun is a crime of TAX EVASION in the amount of $200 right?

$200 they won't LET you pay...

kind of hard to say that a guy deserves six years of prison and the complete removal of his god given rights for not paying $1000 in back taxes... taxes that the government REFUSES to collect.

Its not something I would do myself.... but I would never convict a man for it, nor would I condemn or criticize a man for it.

Only under federal law - state laws generally make the possession of an MG or other NFA device w/o paper a seperate straight criminal offense. California would prosecute an individual in possession of an MG or NFA device that was registered when the individual in possession isn't licensed by the state.

I have very limited sympathy for anyone other than the widow of a WWII, Korea or Vietnam veteran found to be in possession of unregistered NFA.

If it's a case of lost registration from the NFTR, and the individual makes a good case, I'm sympathetic to those folks as well.

Any full grown adult male that takes it upon himself to run around with unregistered NFA hardware in possession pays their nickel and has taken their chance, and now and then their luck runs out.

Very little sympathy from me in those situations.

If they were in dire straights and in need of a firearm for self defense, a legal non-NFA firearm would have served them just as well.

B Strong
01-12-2010, 3:57 PM
Only 6.5yrs for 4 MGs? Dude did well.

Hamblen got 13 months for 9 counts.

Makes one wonder why on a potential 90 years if sentenced under the max., a guy would get 13 months with time off for good time.

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 3:59 PM
Only under federal law - state laws generally make the possession of an MG or other NFA device w/o paper a seperate straight criminal offense. California would prosecute an individual in possession of an MG or NFA device that was registered when the individual in possession isn't licensed by the state.

I have very limited sympathy for anyone other than the widow of a WWII, Korea or Vietnam veteran found to be in possession of unregistered NFA.

If it's a case of lost registration from the NFTR, and the individual makes a good case, I'm sympathetic to those folks as well.

Any full grown adult male that takes it upon himself to run around with unregistered NFA hardware in possession pays their nickel and has taken their chance, and now and then their luck runs out.

Very little sympathy from me in those situations.

If they were in dire straights and in need of a firearm for self defense, a legal non-NFA firearm would have served them just as well.

Its possession of an inanimate object without paying the tax/obtaining the 'permits' from the state....

CA doesn't issue the permits to regular people....

the fed doesn't issue the tax stamps and hasn't since 1986...

Its a thing, just a thing.

Who is the victim of the crime he's committing?

My personal opinion is that he showed he wasn't a bad guy when he didn't burn down the cop with his MG...

just a guy transporting his stuff.

five.five-six
01-12-2010, 4:00 PM
wonder what he was planning

let's see what do i have in my car

some guns and ammo
ski mask
hacksaw
large zip ties
rope
heavy jacket
knives
razors
heavy duty ductape
sawzall
shovel

I'm sure there's more, but that's just what comes to mind

bigcalidave
01-12-2010, 4:01 PM
Because those guns are extra special killing machines.... That's why you can't have them!

B Strong
01-12-2010, 4:08 PM
Its possession of an inanimate object without paying the tax/obtaining the 'permits' from the state....

CA doesn't issue the permits to regular people....

the fed doesn't issue the tax stamps and hasn't since 1986...

Its a thing, just a thing.

Who is the victim of the crime he's committing?

My personal opinion is that he showed he wasn't a bad guy when he didn't burn down the cop with his MG...

just a guy transporting his stuff.

If you can get the CLEO sign-off, and you live in an NFA state, you can buy transferables to the extent of your bank balance.

You may not know this, but there are folks that registered stuff during the 1968 amnesty here in California, and never had the benefit of state licensing.

I'm not arguing that this guy was up to evil deeds, my position is that everybody knows the risks, and that if one takes the risk, they need to accept the potential consequences - this isn't the world as we all think it should be, this is the world the way it exists in the here and now.

If somebody with unregisterd NFA stuff can't wrap their head around that, they'd better not own any firearms at all, becuase they live in a fantasy world.

WALDSCHRAT
01-12-2010, 5:18 PM
Other than the thrill of 'rock n roll' full auto, is there really a practical reason to own a machine gun? The only scenario I can think of is some kind of apocalyptic house to house fighting using explosives and machine guns.
I understand that there are people who collect machine guns, are licensed to do so and have taken many precautions to secure their hobby; I don't have a problem with that but a person doing what the convicted guy was doing...no.

Cokebottle
01-12-2010, 5:29 PM
is there really a practical reason to own a machine gun?
Who cares?

The 2A was not written with exemptions indicating that citizens could not own cannons or other weaponry of the time that had no practical use other than on the battlefield.

grammaton76
01-12-2010, 5:33 PM
Other than the thrill of 'rock n roll' full auto, is there really a practical reason to own a machine gun? The only scenario I can think of is some kind of apocalyptic house to house fighting using explosives and machine guns.

If the sights break on your 22, you could still aim by walking the holes towards the target... :)

Serious practical, probably not so much. Fun and "mechanical geekery" - absolutely.

rcschummers
01-12-2010, 6:01 PM
2nd that mr seesm.

AJAX22
01-12-2010, 6:45 PM
If you can get the CLEO sign-off, and you live in an NFA state, you can buy transferables to the extent of your bank balance.

You may not know this, but there are folks that registered stuff during the 1968 amnesty here in California, and never had the benefit of state licensing.

I'm not arguing that this guy was up to evil deeds, my position is that everybody knows the risks, and that if one takes the risk, they need to accept the potential consequences - this isn't the world as we all think it should be, this is the world the way it exists in the here and now.

If somebody with unregisterd NFA stuff can't wrap their head around that, they'd better not own any firearms at all, becuase they live in a fantasy world.

Yes, I do know that there are legally registered NFA items in CA.... however there are a lot more people who weren't alive in 1968 and don't benifit from that particular age discrimination.

You can by a TRANSFERABLE MG in a free state, but you can not make a new one.... you have to pay 15k for a DIAS that is worth 20 bucks because the feds won't accept money for the proper tax stamp.

you can become an SOT02, but then you have to destroy your post sample guns once you get rid of the license and stop paying the annual fees.

Look, the guy broke the law... I'm just saying that If given the oportunity I'd use jury nullification to let him walk.... just like I'd let anyone walk for the big bad crime of having an inanimate object.

anthonyca
01-12-2010, 7:25 PM
Yes, I do know that there are legally registered NFA items in CA.... however there are a lot more people who weren't alive in 1968 and don't benifit from that particular age discrimination.

You can by a TRANSFERABLE MG in a free state, but you can not make a new one.... you have to pay 15k for a DIAS that is worth 20 bucks because the feds won't accept money for the proper tax stamp.

you can become an SOT02, but then you have to destroy your post sample guns once you get rid of the license and stop paying the annual fees.

Look, the guy broke the law... I'm just saying that If given the oportunity I'd use jury nullification to let him walk.... just like I'd let anyone walk for the big bad crime of having an inanimate object.

I really hope I get on a jury with a chance to do this.

CCWFacts
01-12-2010, 9:53 PM
This was no first timer with that gear in his truck...He's pretty lucky the cops got to him first with what he was planning to do. Guy's like this are scum and make the noble gunowner look bad.

Well-put. This isn't some innocent gun owner with the wrong parts, or someone who is otherwise a good guy and is fixated on having an MG but can't afford one legally. This was a bad situation caught early.

I hope that, sooner or later, there will be a successful post-Heller challenge to the 1986 FOPA / Hughes Amend, but it won't be in some situation like the one in this story.

Sinixstar
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I really have no sympathy.

Perhaps the media is painting a tainted picture by tying all these other things together (trench coat, ski mask, duct tape) that really have nothing to do with anything. wouldn't surprise me.

Fact is though - as much as we may hate the laws, think they're stupid and irrational, wish they didn't exist, etc - the law is still the law. Break the law, risk the jail time. That's how it goes. It's not a crucifying - it's called "don't commit the crime if you can't do the time".

stan
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
jeez i hate to think....my typical just-in-case loadout for the car when going to unknown places or for unknown times includes at least an NBC mask or two, duct tape, zip ties, the AR, the .308 bolt gun, ammo for each, heavy wool pea coat, some good boots, passport, change of clothes, etc

OMIGAWD IMA SCARY BAD MAN

tuolumnejim
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM

Wow you've got to be a new cop or an obot with that. :rolleyes:

forgiven
01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Should of drove off.:p

CCWFacts
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I really have no sympathy.

Perhaps the media is painting a tainted picture by tying all these other things together (trench coat, ski mask, duct tape) that really have nothing to do with anything. wouldn't surprise me.

Illegal weapons are dumb and having them is begging for a prison sentence. Ok, some guys get obsessed over them and "need" to have them even though they can't get them legally. And I think MGs and silencers should be legal (treated just the same as any other firearms). So, while it's dumb to do it, I might have sympathy for someone who possesses an MG and there's nothing else in the picture.

As for the ski mask and so on... maybe each of those things could have an explanation. Someone who searched my house and found thousands of rounds of ammo, assault weapons (all correctly registered and legal), contractor trash bags, duct tape, blah blah blah might also be able to paint it a certain way. Everything I have is squeaky-clean legal, and none of it is part of any malicious intent, but it could be portrayed in a negative way.

But possessing pipe bombs changes it. There's no way for an adult to explain having a pipe bomb. Yes, teenage males might have an excuse, but adults do not, and there is no way give the benefit of a doubt to possession of a pipe bomb.

Simple possession of an MG I might be able to sympathize with. Possession of ski masks and duct tape might have some other reasonable explanation. But a pipe bomb can't be justified and it dashes any understanding I might have for the other aspects.

Sinixstar
01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
CCWF - understood entirely.

I suppose if it was just the MG - I would be willing to at least hear the guy out. Even still i don't have that much sympathy. If you want it that bad - move to Nevada.

And yea - once you get into the pipebombs and whatnot - clearly somebody is up to no good. I'm surprised he only got 6.5 years. I'm willing to bet that in exchange for such a light sentence, what they're leaving out is that he spilled the beans on where he got all these things.

B Strong
01-13-2010, 5:04 AM
I understand that there are people who collect machine guns, are licensed to do so and have taken many precautions to secure their hobby; I don't have a problem with that but a person doing what the convicted guy was doing...no.

Practically has nothing to do with it.

Even in these times, most every adult not living in poverty is well past "need" and into "want," and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

If you get down to cases, there is no "practical need" for a Rolex watch, an exotic sportscar, or a 10K sq. ft. home (other than octo-mom...)

B Strong
01-13-2010, 5:04 AM
CCWF - understood entirely.

I suppose if it was just the MG - I would be willing to at least hear the guy out. Even still i don't have that much sympathy. If you want it that bad - move to Nevada.

And yea - once you get into the pipebombs and whatnot - clearly somebody is up to no good. I'm surprised he only got 6.5 years. I'm willing to bet that in exchange for such a light sentence, what they're leaving out is that he spilled the beans on where he got all these things.

Actually, it's about par for the course on state charges.

corrupt
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
So it's bad that I have a bag of lime and sheets of black plastic in my trunk I'm guessing...

but I don't always have dead hookers in there, so I think I'm good.

cbn620
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
The pipe bombs were at home... That's a pipe with gun powder in it anyways. Who cares?

Ski mask...who cares?

Duct tape... really, who cares?

"Silencer"? I don't give a hoot. And it was at his house, not with him.

As for ammo, he could have a gazillion rounds of ammo in that car for all I care. He could have ten gazillion rounds at home. He could eat .45 ACPs for breakfast. Why, he could even make a 40 foot tall golem from ammunition in his backyard and use electricity and Jesus magic to bring it to life like some kind of crazy Frankenstein's monster for all I care.

The guns themselves... well, do we even know they were machine guns? Maybe they were "assault weapons" and the article is getting it wrong. Either way, someone else's machine guns, or someone else's anything is really none of my business and I love it that way.

Legalize all of it for all I care... he could do all of the above, marry a donkey and smear himself with orange marmalade while bouncing around on a pogo stick for all I care so long as he doesn't hurt me or my family. I think it's a shame that we now put him in a cage for 6 or 7 years for this. We have to pay for it.

Merle
01-14-2010, 9:34 AM
Maybe they weren't his?

Depending on the woman and the fight, it may be wise to remove guns, cutlery, dishes and anything which can go ballistic.

blacksheep
01-14-2010, 2:46 PM

You are aware that Bush isn't president anymore ? :eek:So easy there tiger.:rolleyes:

Nose Nuggets
01-14-2010, 3:08 PM
man... the way some of you people jump to conclusions is FRIGHTENING! your worse then most main stream news outlets. and that's saying A LOT!

Seesm
01-14-2010, 6:06 PM
Yeah probably right this guy was going to play golf and was just moving the rifles... :)

I have no problem with the silencer and the MG's but all of it together is supect...

KylaGWolf
01-14-2010, 9:31 PM
If I remember correctly the guy worked and well was let go and was going there to settle a score. He was stupid and called them first or someone tipped them off. Or I may be thinking of another case....

AJAX22
01-14-2010, 9:39 PM
If I remember correctly the guy worked and well was let go and was going there to settle a score. He was stupid and called them first or someone tipped them off. Or I may be thinking of another case....

totally different case IIRC

grammaton76
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Why, he could even make a 40 foot tall golem from ammunition in his backyard and use electricity and Jesus magic to bring it to life like some kind of crazy Frankenstein's monster for all I care.

Ammo golem. Now THAT'S a home defense system!

High Lord Gomer
01-15-2010, 8:56 PM
... he could do all of the above, marry a donkey and smear himself with orange marmalade while bouncing around on a pogo stick ...
I wanna party with *that* guy!!

Nookieaki
01-15-2010, 9:02 PM
I wonder what caliber that silencer was for.....