View Full Version : Instate Family Transfer Questions Please!

Mr. Beretta
01-11-2010, 7:24 PM
OK here's the questions I have.

What paperwork is required if I give my adult daughter (who is legally able to own a hand gun, long gun etc.). a shotgun.

And what paper work is required if I give my granddaughter (under 18 years old) a shotgun. Her mother would maintain possession of the shotgun until she reaches 18 years old.

We all live in California but in different cites.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

01-11-2010, 7:39 PM
No paperwork is needed in either case. Simple family gift transfer from dad to kid and granddad to granddaughter.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-11-2010, 8:19 PM
...Her mother would maintain possession of the shotgun until she reaches 18 years old.

Just to let you know, it's perfectly legal for your granddaughter to own and possess a shotgun in California, as long as it was given to her by a parent, or by a grandparent with the parent's permission. Her mother does not need to maintain possession until the granddaughter turns 18.

Penal Code section 12072(a)(3) makes it illegal to give a firearm to a minor...


(A) No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual under 21 years of age.

But then Penal Code section 12078(p)(5) grants an exception for long gun transfers from grandparents if there is express permission from the parent...


Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the transfer or loan of a firearm that is not a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to a minor by his or her grandparent who is not the legal guardian of the minor if the transfer is done with the express permission of the parent or legal guardian of the minor.