PDA

View Full Version : $30.50 Lesson

Bill Carson
01-11-2010, 5:52 PM
So I tried to sell my shotgun thru a shop on consignment and I was trying to sell shotgun ammo seperately. Well my shotgun was not sold during a two month period so I decided to go to the gunstore and get it back. Little did I know I would have go thru the whole DROS process again to get my own gun back plus I had to pay $30.50. If every lesson I ever learned only cost $30.50 I would be a rich man. I wonder why they asked me if I had a gun safe when filling out the paperwork???

My375hp302
01-11-2010, 6:15 PM
Why can't we get stuff like this changed? Why why why why why ..... Why is there not one shread of common sence in our government??? I wonder what they would have done if you just grabbed it off the rack and walked out. Arrest you for unlawfully transfering your gun to yourself???

SJgunguy24
01-11-2010, 6:20 PM
So I tried to sell my shotgun thru a shop on consignment and I was trying to sell shotgun ammo seperately. Well my shotgun was not sold during a two month period so I decided to go to the gunstore and get it back. Little did I know I would have go thru the whole DROS process again to get my own gun back plus I had to pay $30.50. If every lesson I ever learned only cost $30.50 I would be a rich man. I wonder why they asked me if I had a gun safe when filling out the paperwork???

If you went back for your gun within 30 days there should not be any reason to DROS back to you.

halifax
01-11-2010, 6:25 PM

Yep, that's the law. Sucks. Surprised he didn't tell you that when you brought it in. He asked you for a Safe Affidavit because it is a real DROS with all the requirements and the safe affidavit was probably the easiest way to satisfy the Firearm Safety Device requirement. Why $30.50, DROS is only $25.00?

robairto
01-11-2010, 6:25 PM
I agree. If that firearm was dros'd once to you, why should you have to pay to get it back? I think SHeriff Byrd was no longer able to collect fees for CCw's because the fees were not inline with the actual costs (I can't remember exactly). The bottom line is it's a usuary issue for the owner. Heck, you can consign anything and not have to pay to get your own property back let alone delay the receipt of it. It's wrong!

JaMail
01-11-2010, 6:37 PM
the OP states he had to pay for dros plus 30.50 ? what was the extra for? i didint know that about the dros of your own consignment weapon, my guess was that its so that they can find out if you did something in between the consignment and picking it up, become ineligible to own a firearm.

JaMail
01-11-2010, 6:38 PM
edit, i didint know that until i tried to pick up my AB10 from T&A.. figured i would leave it there instead of paying another 25.00

Bill Carson
01-11-2010, 6:43 PM
my total payout was $30.50. I picked it up after two months. If I would have picked it up before 30 days it would have been free.

MP301
01-11-2010, 9:27 PM
I agree. If that firearm was dros'd once to you, why should you have to pay to get it back? I think SHeriff Byrd was no longer able to collect fees for CCw's because the fees were not inline with the actual costs (I can't remember exactly). The bottom line is it's a usuary issue for the owner. Heck, you can consign anything and not have to pay to get your own property back let alone delay the receipt of it. It's wrong!

Thier thinking is that maybe, just maybe, that you could have become a prohibited person during that time...so they are going to check before giving it back to you.

Moral of the story, if your going to become a prohibited person, do it in 29 days or less!

OlderThanDirt
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Good to know. If I ever consign any weapons I'll take them back for a few minutes every 29 days.

SJgunguy24
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Thier thinking is that maybe, just maybe, that you could have become a prohibited person during that time...so they are going to check before giving it back to you.

Moral of the story, if your going to become a prohibited person, do it in 29 days or less!

I don't think he became a prohibited person, the state law says a firearm can be loaned for up to 30 days. After 30 days they must be transferred and DROS must be filed.

So this went for the OP-to FFL(30+days, FFL must take possession of firearm)- back to the OP(DROS+state fee)

Glock22Fan
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think he became a prohibited person, the state law says a firearm can be loaned for up to 30 days. After 30 days they must be transferred and DROS must be filed.

So this went for the OP-to FFL(30+days, FFL must take possession of firearm)- back to the OP(DROS+state fee)

There's something not quite right here. Before now, I've had firearms in gunsmiths' hands for months at a time. Don't know a good gunsmith that works all that fast (or rather, they have so much backlog, it takes time to get around to your job). Never had to DROS a firearm being repaired. What's the difference between a gun dealer having it in a case as opposed to in the back room?

Matt@EntrepriseArms
01-12-2010, 2:01 PM
There is a difference between gunsmithing and consignment. Don't ask me why because I don't know - perhaps because the dealer is offering for sale, or they may DROS it to the buyer as a Dealer Sale rather than a PPT?

I do know that we are specifically required to DROS all consignment firearms back to the original owner if they want to pick it up in order to ensure they have not become prohibited from owning a firearm in the meantime.

It seems that it should be the same for both, doesn't it? Either we are supposed to and the DOJ never told us, or maybe the DOJ should start a policy on DROS'ing gunsmithing in order to make it fair?

There's something not quite right here. Before now, I've had firearms in gunsmiths' hands for months at a time. Don't know a good gunsmith that works all that fast (or rather, they have so much backlog, it takes time to get around to your job). Never had to DROS a firearm being repaired. What's the difference between a gun dealer having it in a case as opposed to in the back room?

forgiven
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
What kind of shotgun and how much? Is it still for sale and if so, where are you located and do you have pictures.

ETD1010
01-13-2010, 8:26 AM
If you went back for your gun within 30 days there should not be any reason to DROS back to you.

As far as I am told by DOJ and the law, one a firearm is in my inventory (logged in my books) the only way it can be removed from such inventory (logged OUT of my books) is to either an FFL or via DROS. Once dropped off, we must log the weapon in within 24 hours. After that, it's "inventory"

PIRATE14
01-13-2010, 9:41 AM
As far as I am told by DOJ and the law, one a firearm is in my inventory (logged in my books) the only way it can be removed from such inventory (logged OUT of my books) is to either an FFL or via DROS. Once dropped off, we must log the weapon in within 24 hours. After that, it's "inventory"

Well in CA your stuck w/ STATE an FEDERAL Laws.......every firearm has to inventoried in a bound book w/in 24 hours...

Now you can have a gunsmithing book but has to meet A&D req'ts...

Technically the 30 day rule is up to each FFL....since, you didn't really loan it to anyone....

So sorry those are the laws....an a re-dros and fees will vary from FFL to FFL....

GuyW
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

So....how does one sell a consigned off-list handgun??

Bill Carson
01-13-2010, 1:01 PM
http://www.turners.com/shop/gundetail.php?id=7774 here she is but it is already mine again. I do not know why it is still listed. I pick it up on the 21st.

halifax
01-13-2010, 1:20 PM

I guess I'll need the CGF's help then. I've kept gunsmith jobs for a few days and returned them without a DROS. Marked them only as "Gunsmith Return" in my A/D book.

:eek:

Army
01-13-2010, 7:37 PM
Nice DCU paint job, but way overpriced for a gun that goes new for $250 at Big 5.