PDA

View Full Version : X81 Exemptions instead of Hand Gun Certification Questions

Finish it
01-11-2010, 5:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Turnners Outdoorsman in Corona will not release my Pistol after my DROS period due to my POST Certificate not stating 830.2 and only states, For Successfully Completing All Requirements of BASIC POLICE ACADEMY And Has Earned All The Rights, Benefits and Privileges Thereto Appertaining and the Date.
I specifically called them and asked if they were familiar with the X81 Exemption before going to do a PPT. after an hour of paperwork they approved my documents and sent me on my way.
Today they told me we have a problem.
I spoke with the Department of Justice field office and they understand what POST stands for but would not give me anything in writing to satisfy the gun manager need for more information.
Any suggestions on who to talk to??

Thank you,

SVT-40
01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Turnners Outdoorsman in Corona will not release my Pistol after my DROS period due to my POST Certificate not stating 830.2 and only states, For Successfully Completing All Requirements of BASIC POLICE ACADEMY And Has Earned All The Rights, Benefits and Privileges Thereto Appertaining and the Date.
I specifically called them and asked if they were familiar with the X81 Exemption before going to do a PPT. after an hour of paperwork they approved my documents and sent me on my way.
Today they told me we have a problem.
I spoke with the Department of Justice field office and they understand what POST stands for but would not give me anything in writing to satisfy the gun manager need for more information.
Any suggestions on who to talk to??

Thank you,

Here are the listed California exemptions from the HSC

* X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
* X02 = Operation of Law Representative
* X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
* X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
* X21 = Military - Active Duty
* X22 = Military - Reserve
* X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
* X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
* X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
* X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
* X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
* X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
* X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
* X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
* X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
* X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

I think you may have your P.C. codes confused.

830.2 PC Defines who are peace officers.

832 PC Defines the training necessary to comply with Calif law regarding firearms training for LEO's.

Your issue is with what ever College or academy you attended not listing (P.O.S.T. 832 PC) on whatever paperwork or certificate you were given. The College should have issued you some sort of certificate specifically enumerating that you had passed your PC 832 training.

The wording in your O/P:

"For Successfully Completing All Requirements of BASIC POLICE ACADEMY And Has Earned All The Rights, Benefits and Privileges Thereto Appertaining and the Date.

This makes no reference that the Course was CALIFORNIA Post approved. Only that you completed the requirements needed to pass from whatever College or school you attended and that you passed THEIR requirements. Any fly by night school could issue you a "diploma" whic stated you passed THIER requirements and Has Earned All The Rights, Benefits and Privileges Thereto Appertaining. Which could under the law be ZERO.

What academy did you attend???

And are you sure the academy is accredited to issue 832 PC certificates?

Quiet
01-12-2010, 6:48 AM
What academy did you attend???

And are you sure the academy is accredited to issue 832 PC certificates?

And what year did you attend/graduate?

In CA, the POST training levels/modules were changed (which also changed the wording on the POST certificates) around 2000.

joe_lafrieda
01-12-2010, 7:11 AM
Can't the OP just take the test and get himself an HSC so he can get his gun?

RollingCode3
01-12-2010, 7:29 AM
I have a quick question. I took the pc832 firearm course at a local community college about six years ago. Is there an expiration date for the certificate? My HSC just expired last week. I dont want to waste 25 bucks to take the test again. Thanks

Quiet
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I have a quick question. I took the pc832 firearm course at a local community college about six years ago. Is there an expiration date for the certificate? My HSC just expired last week. I dont want to waste 25 bucks to take the test again. Thanks

In terms of usage for LE, POST certificates expire in three years.
In terms of using it as a HSC exemption, PC832 does not have an expiration and is good for life or if the laws/exemptions get changed.

Dirtbiker
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
When you graduated from the academy you should have received a thick packet willed with all of your certificates. Your 832 course paperwork should be in there.

CSDGuy
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Your certificate should also have a POST Certificate number. My PC 832 cert. does. A POST Basic Academy has to cover the material in PC 832... but it goes WAY beyond that. Without covering that material, you can't exercise peace officer powers, even if you get the rest of the material and training.

That Turners may not be familiar with that though.

Finish it
01-12-2010, 1:20 PM
1. It was Rio Hondo Police Academy http://www.riohondo.edu/LEO/Police%20Academy%20Title%20page.htm
GRADUATION (from the web site)
Upon graduation from the Police Academy, you will receive a certificate of completion that enables you to qualify for any police department in the State of California at entry level. ** NOTE…some departments may require you to attend their Police Academy (i.e., LAPD, LASD, CHP.) The certificate of completion is valid for three years from the date of your graduation.

2. Date of graduation does not really matter because it is over 3 years and goes from it goes from X31 to X81 with the Firearms Training
Page 8. From the site. P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
Exemption Code: X81; Authorizing PC Section: 12807(a)(4)
Any person who has successfully completed the Commission on Peace Officer Standards
and Training (P.O.S.T.) “Arrest and Firearms” training, or greater POST training which
includes “Arrest and Firearms.”
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscman.pdf#xml=http://search.doj.ca.gov:8004/AGSearch/isysquery/1bf1c5f3-57c8-4071-8615-32b5eabcbcb7/1/hilite/
(This does not say anything about expiration dates.)

Q. Can't the OP just take the test and get himself an HSC so he can get his gun?
A. I refuse to pay additional taxes/fees (HSC) that I’m not legally required to pay.
I feel it’s a matter of Principle in this case.

Q. Your certificate should also have a POST Certificate number.
A. it does not have a number.

Q. When you graduated from the academy you should have received a thick packet willed with all of your certificates. Your 832 course paperwork should be in there.
A. DOJ told me to get a copy of my transcripts.

I think it is worth the fight, California’s Taxes/Fees on Gun owners is ridicules!

Old Timer
01-12-2010, 1:24 PM
Forget the certificate. Get a copy of your transcript. That will say (832, Firearms, Arrest and Control). That is all you need.

Finish it
01-12-2010, 1:29 PM
Your right, i'm just Sooooo frustrated.

Mayhem
01-13-2010, 6:35 AM
Exemption X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training

When you graduate a Police academy you have received several Certificates.

Your Certificate of completion of POST certified training academy. This is a certificate or certificates that show overall completion of the course. It is not the Firearms certificate.

First Responders Card.

Red Cross CPR and First Aid Card.

POST Powers of Arrest certificate

and POST Firearms Familiarization and Safety Certificate.

the Powers of arrest and Firearms certificates look the same. They should look something like this.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/Damned_Major_Mayhem/PC832Edit.jpg

There are no expirations on any of these certificates except the Red Cross CPR/first aid.

Keep in mind allot of Gun shop employees are clueless. I have had them confuse X81 with the exemption for security officers BSIS firearms open carry permit which needs to be renewed every 2 years or are completely unfamiliar as to the exemptions.

If you just graduated the academy it may take some time for you to get all your certificates and cards. It took me 3 months to get all of mine.

Finish it
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the great information.
Tim
Exemption X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training

When you graduate a Police academy you have received several Certificates.

Your Certificate of completion of POST certified training academy. This is a certificate or certificates that show overall completion of the course. It is not the Firearms certificate.

First Responders Card.

Red Cross CPR and First Aid Card.

POST Powers of Arrest certificate

and POST Firearms Familiarization and Safety Certificate.

the Powers of arrest and Firearms certificates look the same. They should look something like this.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/Damned_Major_Mayhem/PC832Edit.jpg

There are no expirations on any of these certificates except the Red Cross CPR/first aid.

Keep in mind allot of Gun shop employees are clueless. I have had them confuse X81 with the exemption for security officers BSIS firearms open carry permit which needs to be renewed every 2 years or are completely unfamiliar as to the exemptions.

If you just graduated the academy it may take some time for you to get all your certificates and cards. It took me 3 months to get all of mine.

Untamed1972
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Forget the certificate. Get a copy of your transcript. That will say (832, Firearms, Arrest and Control). That is all you need.

but if he took the full Basic Police Academy is wouldn't say that. But the PC832 arrest and firearms stuff is included IN the Basic Police Academy.

CSDGuy
01-15-2010, 1:49 PM
POST should have a record of his training... He should write POST and ask them for a copy of that record. While I have my 832 certificate, POST should also a record of me taking that course.