PDA

View Full Version : Intrafamilial Gun Transfer Question

mydogsmonkey
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi there, just had a quick question for that form, my mom had bought me a handgun for christmas and im getting ready to have it transferred in my name. First i just wanted to know that this is legal right? I'm 19 btw, also for the form, where it says "How posession was obtained" what do i put? It was a gift for christmas. Should i put "face to face gift"?

Thanks
Ernest

paul0660
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Just gift would work, and it is legal.

mydogsmonkey
01-11-2010, 1:00 PM
Just gift would work, and it is legal.

thanks!

p7m8jg
01-11-2010, 1:10 PM
Dontcha just love those gifts that keep on giving!!!

Need to transfer my son's .45 auto into his name, too........a labor of love...

Mike's Custom
01-11-2010, 1:20 PM
It is not legal for you to register a handgun at 19. you must be 21 for a handgun. Between 18 and 21 you may be "in possession" but not the registered owner.

ke6guj
01-11-2010, 1:28 PM
It is not legal for you to register a handgun at 19. you must be 21 for a handgun. Between 18 and 21 you may be "in possession" but not the registered owner.Incorrect. It is perfectly legal for a 18-20 year old to be the registerd owner of a handgun. He just can't purchase/transfer it through a FFL.

12078(c)(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family and all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.
(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a basic firearms safety certificate. If taking possession on or after January 1, 2003, the person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.

To the OP, I'm assuming both your and your mother are both CA-residents. If so, just fill out the intrafamily transfer form, send it in with $19, and you are all set. As per the code I posted above, you are required to have an HSC, but they don't ask you about it on the form. Get it anyways. And yes, an 18-20 year old can get an HSC.

lorax3
01-11-2010, 1:39 PM
"How posession was obtained" what do i put? ?

I've been told by the DOJ phone operators that 'gift' is a valid option. Apparently 'sale' is as well.

mydogsmonkey
01-11-2010, 3:58 PM
thanks guys, i already got my HSC done so im good with that. just making sure everything is good and legal and nothing left for error. im excited for my first pistol :D

Phireglass
01-11-2010, 8:07 PM
It is not legal for you to register a handgun at 19. you must be 21 for a handgun. Between 18 and 21 you may be "in possession" but not the registered owner.

THIS IS FUD!!

halifax
01-11-2010, 8:18 PM
THIS IS FUD!!

Yeah, I think ke6guj addressed that in Post #6

BTW, Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt) usually implies deceit. Just being wrong doesn't.

Mike's Custom
01-12-2010, 1:58 AM
Thanks for pointing that out in such a nice way.

ChrisO
01-12-2010, 2:10 AM
Thanks for pointing that out in such a nice way.

Thats usually happens when you go around spreading FUD.