PDA

View Full Version : taking gun on plane

rhadiesel
01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
im going to north dakota for work i will stay out there for 3 months at a time but be staying in a hotel room i want to know if there is a way to bring a gun with me to shoot out there on the weekends?? any help

cineski
01-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, you can bring a gun in your checked luggage. Has to have a hard, locking case. You must declare the gun at check-in at the ticket counter. Say something like "I need to declare an unloaded firearm." You will have to open the gun case and show them the gun is unloaded. The best way to do this is to lock the slide back and thread a lock through the gun and place this inside the case. This way you don't have to actually touch the gun. After showing the ticket agent, you lock it back up and away it goes. For your luggage lock, you have to use TSA locks. For the gun case, use a combo or keyed lock.

rhadiesel
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
ok and what about ammo what do i do with that
also is it a bad idea to keep going back and forth with my gun like that or is it really not a big deal

GearHead
01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, you can bring a gun in your checked luggage. Has to have a hard, locking case. You must declare the gun at check-in at the ticket counter. Say something like "I need to declare an unloaded firearm." You will have to open the gun case and show them the gun is unloaded. The best way to do this is to lock the slide back and thread a lock through the gun and place this inside the case. This way you don't have to actually touch the gun. After showing the ticket agent, you lock it back up and away it goes. For your luggage lock, you have to use TSA locks. For the gun case, use a combo or keyed lock.

Make SURE that the actual lock on your gun case is NOT TSA approved. YOU are the only one legally allowed to posses the key. But yes, if you put the hard case in your suitcase, make sure the suitcase lock is TSA approved.

sirgiles
01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
most airlines will have a limit (in pounds) when it comes to ammo. call your carrier.
its no big deal travelling back and forth with a firearm.

GearHead
01-11-2010, 10:22 AM
ok and what about ammo what do i do with that
also is it a bad idea to keep going back and forth with my gun like that or is it really not a big deal

Ammo is dependent on the airline. Can't have more than 11 pounds per person and it needs to be in containers designed to hold it in such a way that the primers are safe (i.e. the individual boxes commercial ammo comes in). Some places will allow you to have it loaded in magazines ONLY IF there are covers on them (i.e. PMAGS with dust covers). Personally, ammo is a huge pain the a** to transport via plane. I would say you should either overnight it or buy some in NoDak.

Travelling with a gun is a no-brainer, I did it 4 times last year. Just give yourself an extra hour before your flight in case something takes a long time.

cineski
01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
This is correct.

Make SURE that the actual lock on your gun case is NOT TSA approved. YOU are the only one legally allowed to posses the key. But yes, if you put the hard case in your suitcase, make sure the suitcase lock is TSA approved.

bak
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Take a print out of the TSA rules and the Air carrier rules with you when you show up at the counter. As there sometimes some confusion with people behind counter.

paul0660
01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
really not a big deal

You are going to get good at it.

BigBronco
01-11-2010, 1:29 PM
It also may depend on where the airport is. I flew out of Dallas no big deal. Simply checked it as luggage. However I was nearly treated like a terrorist flying out of San Francisco. Taken to a back room Interviewed. ETC. And this was many Moons before 911.

lorax3
01-11-2010, 2:23 PM
I recommend this video to anyone who is going to be flying with firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

Gryff
01-11-2010, 3:20 PM
i want to know if there is a way to bring a gun with me to shoot out there on the weekends?? any help

Gun needs to be in a locked container. That container can be stored inside your checked suitcase, or it can be a case that you check on its own.

Ammo cannot be in the same locked container as the gun. It can be in the same suitcase, as long as gun is locked in its own box.

Strongly encourage you to buy a pistol case or container that cannot be pried open easily (i.e. Doskosport cases). The last thing you want is some baggage handler tearing open the container and getting your gun. I personally like the Guardforce (http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardforceguncases.htm) containers because they have padlock receptacles to provide more security than a built-in lock.

There can be no markings on the outside of your luggage that hints that weapons inside (and you really don't want to advertise that fact, right?).

Do not use TSA locks. TSA has no legal right to open your weapon case without you present.

Most airlines restrict ammo to no more than 11lbs., but some limit the actual quantity. Ammo needs to be in boxes that isolate the rounds from each other (i.e. a traditional factory ammo box...not the WWB bulk pack). TSA has told me that the plastic cases that reloaders use (http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/) are acceptable, but you'll want to tape them closed.

You must declare your gun to the airline ticketing counter (no curbside check-in). I know that United gets irritated if you use the self check-in kiosks rather than standing in line at the full-service counter.

When you declare the weapon, the ticketing agent should ask you to open the case and prove the weapon is unloaded. If they don't check the weapon themselves, I ask before I demonstrate it for them. Many agents are nervous around weapons, and you don't want to unexpectedly pick up the gun and start manipulate it. It might make nearby liberals wet themselves.

Afterwards, an airline employee will take the bag to TSA to run through their machine. You might have them tell you that they need to take it in a backroom for TSA to inspect it (or to leave the locks unclosed). What you do at that point is up to you, but I will not let my unlocked weapon case out of my sight EVER. It is my understanding that it is technically illegal for them to inspect my weapon without me present, and I stated this the one time they tried it with me. They relented and allowed me to go with the gun case.

They may say that will have to cut the locks off if they need to re-inspect the weapon later on. Again, this is not correct. They HAVE to find you and bring you to the inspection before they can open the box, but that might mean that they pull you off the plane (and you'll miss your flight), or they may not put your bag on the plane. To me, this is worth the risk, since I am not giving any stranger free access to my gun without me being present.

Allow yourself an extra hour for the check-in procedure. Usually you don't need that much, but TSA isn't always a high-speed, low-drag kind of operation.

Colt-45
01-11-2010, 4:27 PM
It also may depend on where the airport is. I flew out of Dallas no big deal. Simply checked it as luggage. However I was nearly treated like a terrorist flying out of San Francisco. Taken to a back room Interviewed. ETC. And this was many Moons before 911.

Opposite extremes lol.

This thread has very good information, bookmarked for reference.

tpirman
01-11-2010, 4:32 PM
I have flown out of San Francisco many times with weapons recently, it's very easy. You just need to declare that you have a firearm as others have said and keep them in a locked case. I even traveled with my AR to Alaska, no big deal.

It is surreal walking through an airport with your gun(s) when it seems all I've even been taught is to not even say the word "gun" in an airport.

Fjold
01-11-2010, 5:02 PM
Gun needs to be in a locked container. That container can be stored inside your checked suitcase, or it can be a case that you check on its own.

Ammo cannot be in the same locked container as the gun. It can be in the same suitcase, as long as gun is locked in its own box.

Ammunition can be in the same container as the gun depending upon what airline that you fly. I just flew to Texas and back home again last month with the box of ammunition in my rifle case on US Airways.

Firearms
US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.

Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met.

DedEye
01-11-2010, 5:10 PM
Read this (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm). Also check the website of whatever airline to fly with to see if they have any additional regulations.

smittty
01-11-2010, 6:05 PM
My friend had his pistols and pistol case stolen traveling from I think Montana to California. Thief took the entire pistol case. If you are that thief and you're reading this...we are coming for you, you mother ****er!

I would find a way to somehow attach your pistol case to your luggage to make it difficult to separate it from your luggage.

The last time I traveled I used a rifle case and cable locked several handguns together into a chain just in case an airline mother****er thief managed to get into my rifle case. He'd have a ***** of a time hiding a string of guns chained together! I had to pay $50 for the extra luggage but I felt it was worth it for piece of mind. I also used excessive amount of tape to make it extra difficult for a their to even get to the locks. I probably looked like a freak but it worked out OK for me.

gose
01-11-2010, 6:22 PM
I have flown through a few different airports and the procedures seem to be slightly different everywhere, and I've flown with the same company (United) every time.
Yes, they might be slightly more thorough at SFO than at some other airports, but it's also the airport where I've had the least amount of issues.

Only once have I been asked by someone to show that my guns were unloaded (Las Vegas, and I managed to convince the lady that me pulling out an AR15 in front of the check-in line might not be the best of ideas), but as far as I know, there's no need for that. The tag you get to put in your case has your signature where you declare your guns to be unloaded. The fact that no TSA guy has ever checked if my guns were loaded also leads me to believe that's the case.

orangeusa
01-11-2010, 6:27 PM
This thread should be a sticky!!

Gryff
01-11-2010, 8:03 PM
Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.

I can't say definitively, but I'm under the impression that this means that a locked gun case and a box of ammo can be in the same suitcase. I have always thought that the ammo could not be in the locked gun case.

The last time I traveled I used a rifle case and cable locked several handguns together into a chain just in case an airline mother****er thief managed to get into my rifle case. He'd have a ***** of a time hiding a string of guns chained together!

Smart. I put Master trigger locks on all of the guns in my case. A dirtbag may steal them, but I'm going to guarantee that he has a hell of a time using them.

Only once have I been asked by someone to show that my guns were unloaded (Las Vegas, and I managed to convince the lady that me pulling out an AR15 in front of the check-in line might not be the best of ideas)

That's actually the high point of my trip. I enjoy seeing the looks on other passengers' faces when I open up the gun case. I thought the guy next to us was going to have a stroke when my wife and I flew out to shoot the IDPA Nationals. I opened up my Pelican case, and inside were two Springfield XD Tacticals, a Glock 34, a Glock 17, and my wife's Glock 26 for CCW. It was classic.

gose
01-11-2010, 8:49 PM
<snip>

That's actually the high point of my trip. I enjoy seeing the looks on other passengers' faces when I open up the gun case. I thought the guy next to us was going to have a stroke when my wife and I flew out to shoot the IDPA Nationals. I opened up my Pelican case, and inside were two Springfield XD Tacticals, a Glock 34, a Glock 17, and my wife's Glock 26 for CCW. It was classic.

I was more worried about my own safety, pulling out an AR at a crowded airport... :)

However, I totally get your point :)
This is a nice pic of one of my buddies from Munich international airport when we were flying back from a PPC match.
Three guys, around 12 handguns, a ton of ammo and German border guards who insisted on verifying the guns against our papers in front of the check-in line. The nuns were an added bonus :)

http://www.skip.chalmers.se/~blixt/munich.jpg

thejackamo
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I recommend this video to anyone who is going to be flying with firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

fantastic presentation. a great lawful way of completely securing your luggage against sticky fingered baggage handlers and the like.