PDA

View Full Version : Out of state gun purchase

eljBRD
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
If I buy a gun from an out of state vendor and get it shipped here, can I start the DROS paperwork at my transfer FFL meanwhile the gun gets there? this is assuming I have the serial number and all required information...

paul0660
01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, if your FFL will go along with that.

kemasa
01-11-2010, 1:36 PM
I forget what the CA DOJ says on this as they seem to have gone back and forth. In general, it is a bad idea though since if there is a problem it can be a waste of money. I think they don't want you to do it with a handgun.

There is another thread on this same topic, btw.

tenpercentfirearms
01-12-2010, 7:06 AM
Nothing prohibits it. Just the DOJ claims it can create confusion during an audit since there will be a DROS started with no gun associated with it, which will cause them to wonder if you took it home early. I have no problems with that as my bound book will clearly show the firearm hasn't arrived yet and I have not finished your paperwork, so clearly I have not delivered it early.

So as kemasa says, you might get varying opinions at DOJ on this, but in the end, it is up to the dealer. I have no problems starting a long gun DROS at any time as I explain to the customer if they don't have a gun here by the end of the 30 days, then they lose their $25. Handguns must have a serial number and my same rules apply.

So as long as the customer fully realizes they are taking a gamble, it is their money.

TripleT
01-12-2010, 7:47 AM
I won't do handgun dros early as the approved list is so darned convoluted I want to see the handgun to make sure it is approved, has the correct mags, etc. Too much room for error, hard feelings and a transaction to go bad. But, that's just me and YMMV... :o

tenpercentfirearms
01-12-2010, 6:07 PM
I won't do handgun dros early as the approved list is so darned convoluted I want to see the handgun to make sure it is approved, has the correct mags, etc. Too much room for error, hard feelings and a transaction to go bad. But, that's just me and YMMV... :o

Excellent point. I usually only do it on guns I order and am DROSing myself. For a transfer, that is a good idea to wait.

ZirconJohn
01-12-2010, 6:17 PM
+1; TPF & TripleT... I concur.

Good to see I am not the only one doing this. Went round/round w/ DOJ and my own research. Additionally, same as you guys in that I will not start a State to State transfer until 'hand gun' here... but on new dealer order from vendor... I go with in-depth' explanation re: serial numbers etc. If this ends up out of my control (ie different serial #), they pay... not me.

I put the rules down and let them decide.