PDA

View Full Version : Would this be Cali legal with an Imbel FAL?

Veritas_223
12-20-2005, 1:29 AM
Could I purchase an Imbel base FAL such as this:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41673810

Have the seller keep the 20 round mag and remove the pistol grip. Then send it to my FFL. DROS it. Then send it to CGW for the fix 10 round mag and stripper clip dust cover conversation?

Thanks,

V

C.G.
12-20-2005, 1:43 AM
Could I purchase an Imbel base FAL such as this:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41673810

Have the seller keep the 20 round mag and remove the pistol grip. Then send it to my FFL. DROS it. Then send it to CGW for the fix 10 round mag and stripper clip dust cover conversation?

Thanks,

V

That looks like a good deal if as represented. Yes, have him remove the pistol grip and 20 round mag and have him send it to your FFL without the pistol grip. You can buy a stripper clip cover from Tapco ($19.99), takes about two minutes to swap the covers. While you are at Tapco you can buy a spare mag catch and drill it out a tap it yourself. Might need a couple of excellent drills (might break one) and couple of taps to get the threads right.
BTW, I think you meant conversion instead of conversation, maybe?

Veritas_223
12-20-2005, 2:03 AM
" I think you meant conversion instead of conversation,"

Correct, it's late. :)

Could I have the seller ship the pistol grip seperately? Or do I need to wait until I add the fixed mag before I allow a PG in my house? Then buy a PG?

Thanks for the answers.

V

C.G.
12-20-2005, 2:26 AM
" I think you meant conversion instead of conversation,"

Correct, it's late. :)

Could I have the seller ship the pistol grip seperately? Or do I need to wait until I add the fixed mag before I allow a PG in my house? Then buy a PG?

Thanks for the answers.

V
For a Fal, you can have both in posession; but personally, I would keep it elsewhere or at least locked in different container far away from the gun to be on the safe side. Also, that grip would not be easily replaced I would have the seller ship it to you.

Rascal
12-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Looks like a really nice FAL. I would buy a 10 round mag and a modified mag catch and send it to the seller, ask him if he would install it and then he could send the whole thing to your FFL, or just have him send the upper portion and send you the lower. If you can get this for under 1K, you have a great deal.

Rumpled
12-20-2005, 7:56 PM
Make sure your FFL will DROS an Imbel, don't let him think it's a FAL.

If your set on Rich doing the work, you could have the seller ship it to him, he does whatever work you want (including CA legal), then ships it to your FFL for DROS.

Just clear it with Rich first.

This way, no seperating the pistol grip and one less shipping trip.

Rascal
12-20-2005, 8:27 PM
It is an FAL, IMBEL FAL, what it isn't is a FN FAL, which would then be illegal.

Rumpled
12-20-2005, 8:44 PM
Rascal,
Thanks for clarifying for me.
I, like most people, think of FN when I think of FAL.
My FFL wouldn't DROS a FAL, but would when I told him it was an Imbel.

DrjonesUSA
12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Rascal,
Thanks for clarifying for me.
I, like most people, think of FN when I think of FAL.
My FFL wouldn't DROS a FAL, but would when I told him it was an Imbel.

That's like saying "I won't DROS a Colt 1911, but I'll DROS a Springfield 1911."

:rolleyes:

Rascal
12-21-2005, 4:04 PM
That's like saying "I won't DROS a Colt 1911, but I'll DROS a Springfield 1911."

:rolleyes:

That's true, but in this case, a FN Fal IS not legal, but the an Imbel IS