PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Transfer Question

clickbang
01-11-2010, 9:38 AM
I am looking for some advice for a situation that I could be in. My aunt has a handgun tucked away that her husband bought about 50 years ago in Pennsylvania; they are now in San Diego. She is deathly afraid of guns and she doesn't know what to do with it after he dies. I suggested giving it to me.

The gun is registered in PA, but I am not sure about CA. How would I go about getting this transferred in my name? Do I just go to a FFL and get it done there? Does it need to be CA registered prior to the transfer?

Thanks for your help.

Bird of Fire
01-11-2010, 9:43 AM
PPT at your local FFL. Done. This is assuming that you, the aunt, and the gun, are all legal residents of the state of CA.

There are handguns that reside in CA that aren't registered due to the age of said firearm/owner. It's not a crime and nobody will lock you up once you go to do the transfer. :)

Vin496
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
PPT at your local FFL. Done. This is assuming that you, the aunt, and the gun, are all legal residents of the state of CA.

There are handguns that reside in CA that aren't registered due to the age of said firearm/owner. It's not a crime and nobody will lock you up once you go to do the transfer. :)

+1

Just take you Aunt with you to your local FFL and as long as she has a California ID, there will be no problems. You will then just do a PPT and in 10 days go get your gun.

It will be registered to you via the DROS. Registration of handguns didn't begin in California till around 1992, so there are many unregistered handguns in this State, it is not a crime.

By the way there is no handgun registration in PA, so it never was registered. There is this misconception that all States require it or somehow it is illegal(probably due to movies). As a matter of fact the majority of States have no gun registration laws.

Army
01-11-2010, 2:30 PM
Didn't your Uncle give that to you 20 years ago?

:)

clickbang
01-11-2010, 4:14 PM
I dont know what type of gun it is yet, but what if this gun isnt on the roster? Does that only apply to dealers selling new guns?

IrishPirate
01-11-2010, 4:18 PM
Didn't your Uncle give that to you 20 years ago?

:)

+1 ;)

I dont know what type of gun it is yet, but what if this gun isnt on the roster? Does that only apply to dealers selling new guns?

Roster doesn't apply to PPT. If i had dual residency in NV and i bought a gun not on the roster, brand new, then came accross the boarder and decided i didn't actually like it, I could sell it PPT. You're good though because the quote above is true right............?

if not, just go to an FFL and transfer it. NBD