PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Repair Recommendations

LarryC
01-11-2010, 6:41 AM
I purchased a used Taurus model 84 38 Special for my wife. The seller said the gun only had 50 rounds through it and I believed him from the condition of the gun. Last week I took the gun to the range for the first time. Problems began almost immediately. Out of 6 rounds only 4 would typically fire. The 2 rounds that did not go off had marks on the primer but would fire if taken out and loaded a second time. Then the extractor began working sporadically. Then the cylinder would stick in the frame (instead of swinging out smoothly), and finally the trigger became impossible to pull. This all occurred in the firing of less than 150 rounds (I was using mild Winchester ammo - no +P).

Does this sound like a simple adjustment or repair problem (I am unfamiliar with the internal workings of revolvers)? Is it worth a trip to the gunsmith? Or is it time to sell it at a gun-buy-back program and go buy a S&W or Ruger?

By the way, I checked - this gun pre-dates the Taurus life-time warranty. So I am on the hook for any repairs. Thanks

Larry

RedFord150
01-11-2010, 7:35 AM
I had a problem with my Taurus .38. I think mine was an 85.
Suddenly, the cylinder locked shut and would not open. I had a gunsmith look at it. He ended up shipping it back to Taurus and they repaired under warranty. They never returned a phone message or gave me any written report of the failure. I also never used any +P ammo. I have no idea what actually failed.
I sold it to a dealer and now rely on my Rugers, Colt, and Bersa.
Personally, I am done with Taurus.
Good luck.

dfletcher
01-11-2010, 8:01 AM
The light primer strikes can be due to a mainspring that's been clipped and not full strength and that's an easy fix, or the gun may simply need to be cleaned - there could be crud under the extractor star and that may cushion the hammer strike. I would say take it to a gunsmith and inform him of the problem. The internals of a Taurus are enough like a Smith that if he can work on a Smith he can probably do the Taurus. This is just a bit of wild guess, but the trigger sticking & light strikes seem "fixable" and the cylinder could be tough to swing out because the front lock up is not disengaging properly.

If you're lucky a cleaning and new mainspring might cure the ills.

El Gato
01-11-2010, 8:28 AM
This is a very common problem on taurus small frame guns... send it to taurus...the last one I had had developed excessive headspace and needed to be adjusted ...Taurus is really good at service...which is good as there is a good reason they are cheap... seems they come out of the factory with very little attention and then fix it when the customer complains.. and fix it they do and very well mind you... not an issue with that ...
we see over a 1,000 clients though classes each year and a good smattering of guns... alot of taurus' and very few with problems but this is the most common... and is likely a headspace/end shake issue...call taurus they have a fast turn around time and you might go ahead and price having them do an action job on the gun - a "duty tune" if it is going to be used for self defense...they really do have a good service department and if I was going to have an action job done on a revolver...the factory is a bullet proof - lawsuit proof - way to do it...good luck... and call taurus...(I think I just emailed them when I sent mine)

rgs1975
01-11-2010, 8:41 AM
Best way to deal with Taurus is to buy a S&W in my opinion.

coop44
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
throw it away and buy a smith or a colt