PDA

View Full Version : PLease tell me, Is it legal to send ammo through the mail?

Coca-Cola777
01-11-2010, 5:36 AM
I have a question for the people that know the legalities of this, Is it legal to send ammo from one private party to another through the mail? Fed Ex? UPS?
I was supposed to give ammo in a recent deal I had but forgot to bring it and I was wondering if theres a way I can send it, any info is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Mssr. Eleganté
01-11-2010, 5:46 AM
It is against the law to send ammunition through the U.S. mail. You have to ship it via UPS or FedEx Ground. The package has to be marked on one side with the words "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS" and immediately below that "ORM-D"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54456

Exposed
01-11-2010, 6:11 AM
What he said ^^^

gbp
01-11-2010, 6:14 AM
also make sure of where you are sending it.

Harley
01-11-2010, 7:14 AM
Its illegal.

jasilva
01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Its illegal.

Perhaps actually reading the thread and knowing the law before you post would be beneficial.:rolleyes:

NiteQwill
01-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Its illegal.

Good job passing on the wrong information.

Nothing illegal about shipping ammo through FedEx/UPS. Don't do it through USPS. Spent brass is okay through USPS.

ke6guj
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Good job passing on the wrong information.

Nothing illegal about shipping ammo through FedEx/UPS. Don't do it through USPS. Spent brass is okay through USPS.

If he was just answering the question in the titlle, then he is correct. But with the OP expanding on the question in the first post, his answer is incorrect and incomplete.

orangeusa
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
This thread should be cleaned up (de-FUD'ed) and STICKIED!!!
And another one on flying with your gun!!! :)

otteray
01-11-2010, 7:36 PM
IIRC, from shipping some old ammo a few years ago; label correctly as OMR-D and if the counter person has doubts, there is a UPS policy book on-site that can be used to verify that it's ok. Or visit online to verify specific UPS location's policies.
Showing confidence and knowing where their regs are located makes it go easier and faster when dealing with a rookie clerk.
You must go to a central hub; the little stores at your local malls probably won't touch it.
Here in Crazy Santa Cruz, UPS at first was aghast (the counter person actually pressed her hand to her breasts) and balked until it was shown to them in black and white, in their own rule book.

bambam8d1
01-11-2010, 7:41 PM
Perhaps actually reading the thread and knowing the law before you post would be beneficial.:rolleyes:

lmao

Harley
01-11-2010, 7:55 PM
Perhaps you MAY want to read the title of the thread and then post something beneficial. :D

PLease tell me, Is it legal to send ammo through the mail?

2nd post in thread:
It is against the law to send ammunition through the U.S. mail.

Its illegal.

Feel better now? Anything else?? Have a great evening. :D

jasilva
01-11-2010, 8:11 PM
I have a question for the people that know the legalities of this, Is it legal to send ammo from one private party to another through the mail? Fed Ex? UPS?
I was supposed to give ammo in a recent deal I had but forgot to bring it and I was wondering if theres a way I can send it, any info is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Perhaps you MAY want to read the title of the thread and then post something beneficial. :D

Feel better now? Anything else?? Have a great evening. :D

I highlighted the TEXT in the original post for you since you seem to be unclear on what my original comment alluded to, this being that you should actually read the THREAD before posting FUD.

Now I feel better.:D

Harley
01-11-2010, 8:16 PM
I highlighted the TEXT in the original post for you since you seem to be unclear on what my original comment alluded to, this being that you should actually read the THREAD before posting FUD.

Now I feel better.:D

Ahemm, I did'nt post FUD, I answered the question regarding the title of the thread. That is all. :thumbsup:

jasilva
01-11-2010, 8:24 PM
Ahemm, I did'nt post FUD, I answered the question regarding the title of the thread. That is all. :thumbsup:

Right, which was what lead to my comment that it would be useful to actually read the thread before posting.

Harley
01-11-2010, 8:33 PM
Right, which was what lead to my comment that it would be useful to actually read the thread before posting.
His title had a question and I answered it.

coop44
01-14-2010, 8:56 AM
Certain CA counties do not allow the receipt of mail-order ammunition.

According to Sportsman's Guide...

"Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post."

actually it's a mix of cities and counties in CA

new cal shooter
01-14-2010, 9:41 AM
UPS Ground is usually cheap, go to the actual UPS Depot, not a ups store at the mall / stores in mini-mall

use this:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/NEWCALSHOOTER/ShippingORMDstickers.jpg

and ask for an adult signature, your good

DedEye
01-14-2010, 8:35 PM
This thread should be cleaned up (de-FUD'ed) and STICKIED!!!
And another one on flying with your gun!!! :)

No it shouldn't. The accurate information should (and will) be added to the FAQ in the appropriate section. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ)

Lyte-
01-14-2010, 8:51 PM
hell I hope its legal I just shipped some out to calgunners less then a month ago!

ke6guj
01-14-2010, 8:53 PM
hell I hope its legal I just shipped some out to calgunners less then a month ago!

if you sent it via the mail, USPS, it wasn't legal.
if you sent it via UPS, Fedex, etc, it was legal, provided the box was properly labeled.

tombinghamthegreat
01-14-2010, 9:09 PM
"Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post."

Do not refer to the sportsman guide for legal advise since it is not entirely accurate

Lyte-
01-14-2010, 9:13 PM
if you sent it via the mail, USPS, it wasn't legal.
if you sent it via UPS, Fedex, etc, it was legal, provided the box was properly labeled.

I was actually joking :)

I know it was legal and I used UPS.

In fact I shipped the Ammo from the great state of texas so they didn't even Bat an Eye when I told them it was Ammo.

DedEye
01-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Do not refer to the sportsman guide for legal advise since it is not entirely accurate

Correct. I know that Napa at least has no law against online/mail order ammo, and would like to know regarding the rest of the cities/counties listed if someone is willing to do the research.

tombinghamthegreat
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Correct. I know that Napa at least has no law against online/mail order ammo, and would like to know regarding the rest of the cities/counties listed if someone is willing to do the research.

ventura county to my knowledge has no ban on mail order ammo.

camsoup
01-18-2010, 1:50 PM
FWIW,

I have had several orders from midway, with both parts and ammo in the same box mailed to me via USPS. The labels had the ORM-D, small arms on them, and my postman still delivered to my house.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-18-2010, 7:58 PM
FWIW,

I have had several orders from midway, with both parts and ammo in the same box mailed to me via USPS. The labels had the ORM-D, small arms on them, and my postman still delivered to my house.

That's a huge mistake by MidwayUSA. They can get in big trouble for that, from both the Postal Inspectors and the DOT (if the package makes it onto an airplane). Their website even says that they must ship ammo by UPS ground, so somebody in their shipping department made a mistake.

camsoup
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
That's a huge mistake by MidwayUSA. They can get in big trouble for that, from both the Postal Inspectors and the DOT (if the package makes it onto an airplane). Their website even says that they must ship ammo by UPS ground, so somebody in their shipping department made a mistake.

Actually I spoke with the post office... it seems USPS and UPS now have a contract, USPS actually delivers some UPS packages on smaller routes. My package was sent to the local post office via a UPS drop off, then redirected to my house by the post office....Seems someone at the post office would have noticed the ORM-D, small arms.....I wonder if USPS as thought about the fact they may be delivering items that are "prohibited" per the regulations by taking in UPS packages to deliver to residences?