PDA

View Full Version : Used guns for sale on this site, have 4 ?s

aquaek4i
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Questions about

1.Why are people posting thats a good price! and not buy? If its really that good im sure they would buy.

2. Heck of a deal, should be sold real soon but still for sale a week later?

3. I'll take it! than another guy after him ill take it! I contact seller and its still for sale. These guys really bring the market down for serious buyers. IMO

4. What really is a good deal for a used gun ? About 100 below retail? As most of the guns here are going for around that used.

Thanks for answering my questions in advance.

Mikeinblack
01-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I have heard a lot of recent #3's... People really need to hit people's ratings when they flake. Often when people post the good deal comments is due to location for FTF... This is a huge state... A No. Cal / So. Cal split would probably cut down on that...

BlackonBlack
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I had a guy who was interested in trading a pistol for a shotgun I had posted for sale. Well it sounded good and I was eager to go through with the sale so, I told EVERYONE else that wanted to buy my shotgun or trade for it that it was already gone. Although the guy was a nice guy, he flaked on me several times. Didn't answer PM's, calls, I'd get a hold of him and he was "busy" or couldn't talk but yet "still wanted to trade". Just a drag I had lost sales leads in that process. Waste of my time. I'm not going to mention any names or post any bad feedback over the issue.

ke6guj
01-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Questions about

1.Why are people posting thats a good price! and not buy? If its really that good im sure they would buy.I can comment that, for instance, a Barrett M82 for sale somewhere is a good price at $5k, but not buy it due to lack of funds.

Or, better for CA, I can comment on a $750 Colt Python for sale and say it is a good price, but not buy it because I am tired of Pythons:rolleyes: , or that I am broke, or the guy is too far away.

2. Heck of a deal, should be sold real soon but still for sale a week later?same as above, lack of funds, location, etc. Some people like to comment when they see a good deal, even if they are not in the market for one, doesn't usually hurt. In fact, a buyer may be more interested in it if he hears positive comments about the price of the item.

3. I'll take it! than another guy after him ill take it! I contact seller and its still for sale. These guys really bring the market down for serious buyers. IMOThere is nothign wrong with saying "I'll take it" if you do want the item. Perhaps the buyer and seller could not come to an agreement for a time/place to meet.

4. What really is a good deal for a used gun ? About 100 below retail? As most of the guns here are going for around that used.A good deal is what ever you think a good price is for that particular iterm. It all depends on the item; heck retail+ can be a good price at times, if the manufacturer is backordered significantly.

Thanks for answering my questions in advance.[/QUOTE]

aquaek4i
01-10-2010, 11:18 PM
BlackonBlack, Im sure your one of many. Just like you, others don't have time nor want to leave a bad feedback for one reason or another. I just hate when this happens. A big lost for protental buyers and sellers.

K5Cruiser
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Questions about

1.Why are people posting thats a good price! and not buy? If its really that good im sure they would buy.

3. I'll take it! than another guy after him ill take it! I contact seller and its still for sale. These guys really bring the market down for serious buyers. IMO

4. What really is a good deal for a used gun ? About 100 below retail? As most of the guns here are going for around that used.

1. It may be a good buy but they've run out of funds. They may simply want to express their delight in seeing a well-priced gun, or perhaps one they've been wanting but can't afford presently. Sometimes it can be annoying though, however I'm guilty of it.
2. Kind of the same as #1, but these sometimes annoy me as well, especially if I'm looking to possibly buy the gun and want to negotiate with the seller.
3. I'll take it, means exactly that. You'll take it as described and have no questions, etc. It means you will come through and complete the deal. It's horrible when this is used improperly.
On the flip side, you may say "I'll take it" and the seller never comes through on his end. I'm in the middle of one of these right now. Of course no one else will know that the seller hasn't come through if they look at the thread, they'll just see the I'll take it I've posted and think I haven't come through on my end.
4. This is dependant on the gun. There are too many variables to list a specific dollar amount.

echang86
01-10-2010, 11:20 PM
At least it's not as bad as posting threads in the wrong forums. :D

BlackonBlack
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I personally think feedback should be used more. Just like making an offer on a house. Sellers will sometimes take a lower offer than what they have already received simply because they feel that person is more committed to the sale and has better likelihood of getting a loan. If someone with a negative response or is known to be a flake, why waste your time communicating with him when viable sales leads are coming in.

Cokebottle
01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Keep in mind that a lot of "I'll take it" posts should actually be posted "I just sent you a PM with a lowball offer"

As far as "great price" but not offering to buy? Many reasons. Perhaps the person just bought one for $100 more, or they see a lot on sale for more, or as mentioned above, if they had the money, they would buy it... or maybe the person sees it as being a good price but simply doesn't want that model of gun?

In any case, it's a free "bump" for the seller, who is only permitted to bump his own threads once every 24 hours.
The only thing that's really hated is thread crapping, and the not-quite-so-serious "I'll take it" posts.

BlackonBlack
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Questions about

A really good deal on a used gun is buying a gun at a lower price than what market conditions stipulate. IE able to re-sell the gun for at least what you paid for it.

Generally it's good for sellers if people chime in to the sale thread even if they are just "window shopping" because it bumps the thread to the top for more people to see.

AndrewMendez
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Every gun on here is going to only have "200 rounds thru it" 2 different reasons: A lot of people cant afford to go shooting all the time, or it would probably not sell if they put the actual number of shots fired. I have seen several guns here that have been on sale, and have never thought, holy crap, thats a poorly taken care of gun. Gun Owners for the most part seem to be fairly good at cleaning and caring for theirs guns. If I am looking at a Kimber Stainless w/ night sights for 100 Bucks cheaper then it is brand new, I am probably not going to waste my time going out to see it, or shoot it, then go PPT it. I am going to buy it new. However, if I see a S&W M&P for 450, and I know it regularly sells for 575, I am going to really consider purchasing it used if its in nice condition.
But to answer your question, I think part of it is people are too spontaneous, or are afraid they are going to miss a great deal, then later find they can not afford it, or its not what they are really looking for.

tuna quesadilla
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Questions about

People think it gives them some kind of priority if they post "I'll take it" before they even negotiate any kind of deal with you. I was selling some relatively low-value stuff and this guy posts an I'll-take-it and proceeds to PM me with an offer that I don't really care for. I sent back a message saying no thanks. Just from the guy's attitude in his PM to me, I didn't really care to sit and negotiate with him. So I moved on and gave the item to the next person in line. Well the original guy PMs me back with another offer, and I said sorry buddy, it's already been sold -- your offer was declined, and I moved on to the next offer in line. The guy went BALLISTIC on me, threatening to report me, threatening to leave negative feedback. He was LIVID that I was breaking forum protocol and refusing to honor his "I'll-take-it." He came and threadcrapped in my FS thread, and he even went so far as to tell the guy I ended up selling to that I would flake out on him and that he shouldn't buy from me. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezus. I had to request a mod to come in and clean it up, and all of this because the guy was pissed I wouldn't accept his ridiculous offer.

From my experience, at least 50% of the I'll-Take-Its that you see are just lowballers or people trying to take advantage of you. Always check with the seller to see if the item is still available -- don't just go by the posts in the thread.

AndrewMendez
01-10-2010, 11:36 PM
People think it gives them some kind of priority if they post "I'll take it" before they even negotiate any kind of deal with you. I was selling some relatively low-value stuff and this guy posts an I'll-take-it and proceeds to PM me with an offer that I don't really care for. I sent back a message saying no thanks. Just from the guy's attitude in his PM to me, I didn't really care to sit and negotiate with him. So I moved on and gave the item to the next person in line. Well the original guy PMs me back with another offer, and I said sorry buddy, it's already been sold -- your offer was declined, and I moved on to the next offer in line. The guy went BALLISTIC on me, threatening to report me, threatening to leave negative feedback. He was LIVID that I was breaking forum protocol and refusing to honor his "I'll-take-it." He came and threadcrapped in my FS thread. Had to request a mod to come in and clean it up, and all of this because the guy was pissed I wouldn't accept his ridiculous offer.

From my experience, at least 50% of the I'll-Take-Its that you see are just lowballers or people trying to take advantage of you. Always check with the seller to see if the item is still available -- don't just go by the posts in the thread.

I have heard this soooo many times.

Ventura_Yak'r
01-11-2010, 12:39 AM
"1.Why are people posting thats a good price! and not buy? If its really that good im sure they would buy."

Because sometimes the person who posts, "That's a good price" may already have that make and model and has no use for another + it may really be a good price, but lack of funds prevent purchase...

-hanko
01-11-2010, 7:14 AM
Questions about

The seller gets a free bump...no problem;). The price may be outstanding, but the poster may have no money. I'd let it lay.

Then it's not a 'heck of a deal' anyway.

3. I'll take it! than another guy after him ill take it! I contact seller and its still for sale. These guys really bring the market down for serious buyers. IMO.

An 'I'll take it' needs to mean the buyer will buy the gun immediately as advertised with no further questions, need for photographs, etc. Buyer is saying he has the money and should then immediately PM and/or email his name, address, and phone info to the seller. Seller should be ready to honor the 'I'll take it' and respond to the PM or email w/ his contact info.

If the seller has any hesitation, he shouldn't have posted the FS thread to begin with.

If the buyer needs pictures or anything else, he simply needs to post 'email inbound' or 'PM inbound'. Same if buyer wishes to offer less for the gun. A response along the lines of 'I'll take it subject to pictures' or subject to anything else does not constitute a done deal, at least to me.

Would that this board would start operating along those lines.;)

There's no way to answer that question...if both seller and buyer haven't done their homework as to the going rate for a particular weapon, neither should post

Beyond that, if seller flakes (e.g., 'Shopkeep') or buyer flakes, feedback needs to be immediate. If either wishes to flake after an 'I'll take it', the other party needs to agree via pm or email.
-hanko...

trendar5
01-11-2010, 7:59 AM
"I'll take it" has also come to mean "I get paid in 3 weeks, and then my buddy will try to give me a ride to your area, and then I'll probably back out because of a financial problem." I'll take it should mean I will buy it today, I have the money.

-hanko
01-11-2010, 8:06 AM
"I'll take it" has also come to mean "I get paid in 3 weeks, and then my buddy will try to give me a ride to your area, and then I'll probably back out because of a financial problem." I'll take it should mean I will buy it today, I have the money.
This

-hanko

Rob454
01-11-2010, 3:16 PM
Waste of my time. I'm not going to mention any names or post any bad feedback over the issue.

yeah but the reason you just stated is the exact reason others will lose a sale.
if someone tells m e they will buy it and then they simply just flake ( after we agreed on price and a week or so is a reasonable amount of time to meet and exchange $$ for gun) then I give them bad feed back. ESPECIALLY if they waste my time.
Some people post a Ill take it simply so you dont sell it from under them. IMO you should do all your research and haggling though PMs and if you wanna buy THEN post a Ill take it. I ask my questions etc then I post a Ill take it.
I had one time when i "flaked" but the seller flaked also. We just simply couldnt meet and we both agreed to let it go which was ok.

Sinixstar
01-11-2010, 6:51 PM
Questions about

1) Good price doesn't mean I necessarily have the money for it. $100,000 is a great price for a new Ferrari - a GREAT price. Problem is, i don't have $100k.

2) Along the lines of #1. All things being ideal - something might be priced to sell, but there just isn't a market for it currently. It *should* go quick, but that doesn't mean it will.

3) flakiness - it happens - a lot. I've been selling a lot of stuff on CL to get ready for a move, and you wouldn't believe the number of flakes like this I get.

4) There is no standard rule. It depends on the gun, the condition, the demand for the gun, the availability new, etc. Something very common that's very well used could go for a huge discount off retail. Something like say an Off-Roster handgun, that's hard to find even in other states, practically brand new - could easily go above retail. It's not so much a matter of what something's worth, it's a matter of what is it worth to you?

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Every gun on here is going to only have "200 rounds thru it" 2 different reasons: A lot of people cant afford to go shooting all the time, or it would probably not sell if they put the actual number of shots fired. I have seen several guns here that have been on sale, and have never thought, holy crap, thats a poorly taken care of gun. Gun Owners for the most part seem to be fairly good at cleaning and caring for theirs guns. If I am looking at a Kimber Stainless w/ night sights for 100 Bucks cheaper then it is brand new, I am probably not going to waste my time going out to see it, or shoot it, then go PPT it. I am going to buy it new. However, if I see a S&W M&P for 450, and I know it regularly sells for 575, I am going to really consider purchasing it used if its in nice condition.
But to answer your question, I think part of it is people are too spontaneous, or are afraid they are going to miss a great deal, then later find they can not afford it, or its not what they are really looking for.

This is the answer I was looking for! Thanks to everyone for their answers also!

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
People think it gives them some kind of priority if they post "I'll take it" before they even negotiate any kind of deal with you. I was selling some relatively low-value stuff and this guy posts an I'll-take-it and proceeds to PM me with an offer that I don't really care for. I sent back a message saying no thanks. Just from the guy's attitude in his PM to me, I didn't really care to sit and negotiate with him. So I moved on and gave the item to the next person in line. Well the original guy PMs me back with another offer, and I said sorry buddy, it's already been sold -- your offer was declined, and I moved on to the next offer in line. The guy went BALLISTIC on me, threatening to report me, threatening to leave negative feedback. He was LIVID that I was breaking forum protocol and refusing to honor his "I'll-take-it." He came and threadcrapped in my FS thread, and he even went so far as to tell the guy I ended up selling to that I would flake out on him and that he shouldn't buy from me. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezus. I had to request a mod to come in and clean it up, and all of this because the guy was pissed I wouldn't accept his ridiculous offer.

I'm 100 percent with you on at lease 50% I'll take it is just lowballers. I just pm my offers and if its a deal I would post I'll take it... Most of the I'll take it post are them wanting prioirty first even though they need more time to think about actually buying. Sucks for real buyers at the end of day. Feedbacks need to be used but I believe these guys well leave a neg. if you leave them a neg. Just like how ebay feedbacks work.

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 10:47 PM

lol, I'm with you on that

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
1) Good price doesn't mean I necessarily have the money for it. $100,000 is a great price for a new Ferrari - a GREAT price. Problem is, i don't have $100k.

2) Along the lines of #1. All things being ideal - something might be priced to sell, but there just isn't a market for it currently. It *should* go quick, but that doesn't mean it will.

3) flakiness - it happens - a lot. I've been selling a lot of stuff on CL to get ready for a move, and you wouldn't believe the number of flakes like this I get.

4) There is no standard rule. It depends on the gun, the condition, the demand for the gun, the availability new, etc. Something very common that's very well used could go for a huge discount off retail. Something like say an Off-Roster handgun, that's hard to find even in other states, practically brand new - could easily go above retail. It's not so much a matter of what something's worth, it's a matter of what is it worth to you?

Thanks

cineski
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
There's a lot of changes I'd do to the buy/sell forum. Every thread you start should have a form you'd fill out asking specific questions. Kind of like an online fill in the blank form. You can't post the thread until the questions are answered. Then when it is posted, the information is displayed in a pre designed way that would be identical from thread to thread. Even the list of threads would be differentiated w/ NorCal, SoCal (up down arrows?). The info inside the thread would, as an example, go like this:

WTS:
Make:
Model:
Caliber:
Year:
Condition (1-10):
# rounds shot: 200 by default ;-)
Item includes:
Location of item:
Terms of sale:
Willing to ship:
Price:
Any trades considered?:
Additional Comments:
Pictures:

Gun #2 (if selling more than one)

WTB threads could be similar, but with far less info needed. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but you get my drift. This would make life on the B/S forum easier.

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 10:57 PM
At least it's not as bad as posting threads in the wrong forums. :D

I'm interested in buying a new handgun. While searching for a used one few weeks back these questions came to mind. Either or my fault if its in the wrong section. Plus I'm fairly new on here so give me some time to adjust.;)

aquaek4i
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
There's a lot of changes I'd do to the buy/sell forum. Every thread you start should have a form you'd fill out asking specific questions. Kind of like an online fill in the blank form. You can't post the thread until the questions are answered. Then when it is posted, the information is displayed in a pre designed way that would be identical from thread to thread. Even the list of threads would be differentiated w/ NorCal, SoCal (up down arrows?). The info inside the thread would, as an example, go like this:

WTS:
Make:
Model:
Caliber:
Year:
Condition (1-10):
# rounds shot: 200 by default ;-)
Item includes:
Location of item:
Terms of sale:
Willing to ship:
Price:
Any trades considered?:
Additional Comments:
Pictures:

Gun #2 (if selling more than one)

WTB threads could be similar, but with far less info needed. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but you get my drift. This would make life on the B/S forum easier.

This would be good, or even a thumbs up icon if people like the price/seller instead of long comments. Just too many comments no real interest it seems.

Mstrty
01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm not going to mention any names or post any bad feedback over the issue.

If you would mention names and post bad feedback maybe you could save some of us the grief that you had to go through. Posting feedback does others a service while not posting feedback does us all a disservice.

jeffrice6
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
If you would mention names and post bad feedback maybe you could save some of us the grief that you had to go through. Posting feedback does others a service while not posting feedback does us all a disservice.

Feedback here on CG is worthless....Legitimate negative feedback is only countered with malicious reprisal. Depending on "who you know" negative feedback can/will be deleted from ones Itrade rating..........It's a sham!!! I've gone through too many headaches to ever deal with Itrader ratings again......As always, buyer beware.......& never let someones 50+ positive trader rating lull you into a false sense of security.

shooting4life
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the itrader is poorly utilized. They should add an option for flaked buyer/seller.
Also you will not find any of the problems stated above in my for sale post list in my signature!!!!