PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gun for my small hands

Aluus
01-10-2010, 5:02 PM
EDITED because i didn't really understand what i was talking about

Originally this thread said i was looking for a decent subcompact. Problem is i an NOT looking for CCW. I'm looking for something standard or compact to fit my small hands. As i stated the first time i posted Subcompacts are soooo comfortable, HOWEVER they don't really serve my purposes.

I'll describe my problem and then see if you guys can help me as so far the responses have been knowledgeable. With a full-sized handgun, say an M&P45, it's rather ackward to hold. my hands just don't quite wrap around it the way i'd prefer and when i pull the trigger my finger feels like it is reaching a bit. this causes the barrel to move a bit as i pull or jerk the trigger rather than smoothly squeezing it throwing my shot group off. now to give you an idea... a 9mm Glock 17 is about the right size for me, but as i originally said, i dislike glocks. damned things feel like i could sneeze and make them fire.

retired
01-10-2010, 5:17 PM
Just a fyi; it is Springfield Armory, not Arms.:) Not that big of a deal, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I believe the best thing for you to do would be to go to a range that rents handguns and try shooting all of the subcompacts in different calibers (9mm .40 and .45) they have. You may have to go to more than one range to shoot different varieties.

You are going to get a lot of opinions/replies to your request, so standby.;)

I have had my XDSC 9mm for over 6yrs. and really like it. I'm fortunate in that I can carry it as a ccw. There are better concealable firearms out there (like the Kahr), but they are also more expensive. Obviously, you know what you can afford. Personally, I have no problem concealing my XD.

Is there any particular reason you want a .40cal. I found, when shooting the Glock subcompacts, the .40cal was a bit snappier, tho not uncontrollable, than the other two. That may or not be a problem for you. Plus, ammo for the .40 and .45 is more expensive than the 9mm.

That is important if you are not independently wealthy because you need to practice to become proficient. If you can't afford to buy a lot of ammo to shoot, you won't be able to practice a lot. As "they" say, practice makes perfect.

I hope this helps a little and good luck.

dfletcher
01-10-2010, 5:28 PM
Might try the Springfield EMP. Smaller than normal grip and very well made. You might also consider thin grips on a "regular" 3" barreled 1911.

Kahr makes quite a few subcompacts in 9 and 40 and they have small grips.

ChrisTKHarris
01-10-2010, 6:20 PM
Try out these:

Glock 26 (9mm)
Glock 27 (.40)
HK P2000SK (9mm and .40)

sholling
01-10-2010, 6:21 PM
I have small hands and for a combination target and self defense pistol I recommend the S&W M&P9c (c=compact). It's ultra reliable, plenty small, and the 3.5" barrel is long enough to get decent ballistic performance from a 9mm. The interchangeable backstrap allows it to be fit to any size hand and the low bore axis makes them very controllable. And they are made here in the USA. Review. (http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm) Pair it with a Comp-Tac C-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=ffumeoartd0bm46o9965o135u0) holster.

If you want a pure carry that won't see too much range time then I suggest a 9mm Kahr PM9. However Kahrs are on the bleeding edge of what's possible in miniaturization and they need a good 300rds break-in before declaring it reliable. Pair it with a NM-Holsters (http://www.nm-holsters.com/) #1.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Toys%20800/DSCF0616.jpg

If your budget is a lot higher then I can recommend a CCO format 1911 and having it modified to fit small hands. The CCO is a 4-4.25" barrel and slide mounted on a shortened frame. Abut the only one available in CA is the Kimber Compact CDP. The one in the photo below has been modified for small hands by swapping in a short trigger and slim grips.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Toys%20800/DSCF0592a.jpg

addiction
01-10-2010, 7:30 PM
I have an XD40SC but larger hands, I like it a lot. Bought a 9 mm conversion barrel for it and 9 mm is alot lighter snap wise, both are manageble. A buddy has the SC from Glock in 40 SW, I shot it and the snap was worse than the XD.

My wife has a Sig P239 and it fits her smaller hands well, hers is a 9 mm, shoots great. They also come in 40 SW.

A bigger question for me in the CCW world is do up have or want to spend the time developing the skills required for guns with de-cockers or safeties? That takes more time, ther are benefits to trigger based safeties like the XD, the Sig with the de-cocker, and the 1911 with a traditional safetly, be sure you pick the one you want

jmf_tracy
01-10-2010, 7:37 PM
op - you are on the right track with the SA subcompact. i would suggest the 9mm version for ease of shooting and costs not to mention quicker follow up shots on target. i have a couple of the XD9SC and it is pretty much my favorite handgun. you will need to purchse the pearce grip extensions to make it just right, they run about $7 - $10. i also have the khar pm9, but i do not really like it except for deep concealment. the trigger pull is about a mile long plus it is not comfortabe in my hand when i shoot it. YMMV.

Corbin Dallas
01-10-2010, 7:40 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and apologize if there's a thread for this somewhere. I'm looking for a decent subcompact to carry. I have small hands (a Walther P22 fits PERFECTLY in them) and just find a full sized pistol uncomfortable. I'm looking at getting a Springfield Arms XD 40 Subcompact, but i KNOW my knowledge of various firearms is still limited so i wanted to ask here for any other recommendations that might be below my radar. I know there are a few Glocks, but in general i dislike glocks for the easy triggerpull.

If you can't control your finger (glock safe action trigger), might I suggest a revolver? It's sub compact and works great for smaller hands.

rgs1975
01-10-2010, 8:10 PM
S&W J frame. Either Airweight in .32 or steel in .38.

Aluus
01-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Regarding the above mentioned revolver idea what i am carrying now is a Smith and Wesson 681-2. I DO like it, and can shoot quite comfortably with it, even more so now that i have replaced the crappy wooden grips it had (speedloader would keep catching on them ever damned time and i'd have to fight with it) with a nice hogue grip. trouble is, it's my dad's gun and he has no intention of selling or giving it to me. regarding the Glocks.. I've just heard too many stories of people accidentally firing them while pulling from the holster, and personally i dislike any firearm i can fire using my pinky finger

Edited original post because i am a n00b

CABilly
01-11-2010, 12:50 AM
NAA revolver with aftermarket 6" barrel.

MRpink
01-11-2010, 1:24 AM
Look into 1911s (or maybe other single stack mags), they're slimmer around the grips.

If you have the opportunity, try to handle a CZ P-01, great gun with very ergonomic grip.

BigRich
01-11-2010, 1:25 AM
If the Glock fits your hand but you dislike the light(5lb standard) trigger then purchase and install the NY trigger spring and it will go up to about 9 lbs. Will that solve the problem?

defuse
01-11-2010, 1:31 AM
I got small hands too and I know exactly how you feel. Might I suggest the following?

CZ75 (works great for me)
Sig P229 (looking for one!)
Sig P6 (cheap too!)
HK USP (pricy)

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

pingpong
01-11-2010, 1:33 AM
S&W M&P? I have smallish hands too, and the small interchangeable palmwells make it feel even smaller than my XD9.

M47_Dragon
01-11-2010, 1:48 AM
Look into 1911s

+1, full sized or commander.

You can also add slim grips if needed. And a short trigger.

Stubby
01-11-2010, 2:36 AM
Well lets see, I too have a small hand issue and I can tell you the Glock 17/19/26 works just fine. As others have pointed out you would do well to look at the Springfield armory line or pretty much any plastic gun. Spend some time renting a few guns at a range and I am sure you will find one that fits.

I am a bit confused about your position on the Glock trigger. It is after all a 5+ pound trigger pull. Almost all of the "stories" you hear about people shooting themselves with Glocks fall into the I am an idiot category. It does not matter one bit if you have a 3 pound pull or an 18 pound pull. If you don't use the safety hidden inside your head you will screw up.

If you decide the Glock is the right weapon for you then by all means enjoy! Take a training class and feel 100% confident that the weapons trigger is nothing to worry about.

andalusi
01-11-2010, 2:51 AM
With a full-sized handgun, say an M&P45, it's rather ackward to hold. my hands just don't quite wrap around it the way i'd prefer and when i pull the trigger my finger feels like it is reaching a bit. this causes the barrel to move a bit as i pull or jerk the trigger rather than smoothly squeezing it throwing my shot group off. now to give you an idea... a 9mm Glock 17 is about the right size for me, but as i originally said, i dislike glocks. damned things feel like i could sneeze and make them fire.

You might look into a Sig P6 if you're searching for a comfortable 9MM. I have small hands, too, and I find the P6 fit quite to my liking. No trouble wrapping my hands around or reaching the trigger.

I've also found 1911s are comfortable to hold and to fire. You can find those in 9MM, too.

ZombieTactics
01-11-2010, 7:04 AM
The Walther P99 and Ruger SR9 both have good, slim grips for small hands.

Rekrab
01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I took some girls shooting the other day and they had pretty small hands.

They were able to comfortably shoot my Bersa 380 and 1911. I think they liked my revolver for it's low recoil .38 Special rounds, but I have a hard time getting my hands around that.

rgs1975
01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
The 681 you speak of I believe is an L frame which makes it considerably larger than a J frame pistol. My response about the J frame was in refrence to the original request of subcompacts.

Bobotheclown
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Sig p228/9

adamsreeftank
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Any of the polymer framed Kahr guns will probably be the smallest grip you can get in a caliber 9mm or larger. The PM guns are really small, but a lot harder to shoot accurately than the ones with longer grips. They come in 9mm, 40sw or 45acp. You can wrap the grip with bicycle inner tube to make it more "grippy" without increasing the size much. Check out the P9, P40, or P45.

judoguy
01-11-2010, 1:34 PM
i'd say glock 19,

but if you ever held a kahr, I think those fit very nicely in the hands quite slim too, although you might have to get used to the trigger pull, or at least on the cw9

axhoaxho
01-11-2010, 4:31 PM
I understand, as you stated, that you are not (yet) a Glock fan. However, if the Glock 17 fits your hands, than by all means go for it. The Glock may not be much of a looker, yet it is really a fine pistol.

My wife has small hands as well. She started with some small S&W J-frame .38 Special rental guns first, and then with practice practic pratice, she moved on to other bigger size guns through the years. Now she can shoot my N-frame S&W 327NG with full-load .357 Mag rounds better than I can.

Afterall, it is a firearm, be able to fit & shoot well is more important. First get the Glock if it fits, and later you can graduate to other different and bigger guns.

Regards,

C_1
01-11-2010, 4:44 PM
I got small hands too. And these were some of the ones I looked at (that I could remember off the top of my head).

S&W J frame
Taurus 85

Kahr CW9, CW40, P9, K9..
Sig P226, P6
Browning Hi Power
CZ 75
S&W MP9, MP9c, MP40
SA XD9, XD40
FN FNP9
HK P2000
HK P7
Ruger SR9

I ended up getting a gen 2 Glock 23 and never looked back.

MudCamper
01-11-2010, 4:47 PM
I have small hands. I have a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro, and it's the perfect size. It's one of Taurus' "CCW" pistols, but it is by no means a sub-compact. I'd call it a compact.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=39&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=CC1

Also any of the other caliber Mil Pro's would be similar.

GlennG31
01-11-2010, 5:08 PM
How about a H&K P2000SK? It comes with a small and large backstrap. I use the large backstrap on mine, and it fits my hand perfectly.

IrishPirate
01-11-2010, 5:14 PM
a 1911 fits everyone's hand try that. Also, look at Taurus Millenniums. I have a large palm and shorter fingers and my Taurus 45 feels great. If your hand is also small you might like either the 9, 40 or 45 depending on what caliber you want.

Another great gun that everyone seems to like is the Bersa Thunder .380. I haven't found anything i'd consider to be bad news about it and I'm on the hunt for one right now.

good luck.

NorCalMama
01-11-2010, 5:15 PM
EDITED a 9mm Glock 17 is about the right size for me, but as i originally said, i dislike glocks. damned things feel like i could sneeze and make them fire.

??? Is it the lack of a "safety" or are you implying Glocks have hair triggers? If it's the latter, I am hardpressed to believe you'll find a handgun with a heavier trigger pull! If I'm not mistaken, Glocks typically have a 5.5 lb trigger lb weight, some even heavier. That is NOT a hair trigger by any stretch. I suggest you try out lighter trigger pulls and you'll be praying for the 5.5 lber! Sorry, but I honestly can't believe anyone would think the Glock has a hair trigger! :eek: Frankly, the weight is my only complaint about the Glocks.

professorhard
01-11-2010, 5:20 PM
Walther PPK/S

fed20
01-11-2010, 5:33 PM
S&W M&P? I have smallish hands too, and the small interchangeable palmwells make it feel even smaller than my XD9.

+1. I had M&P 45, I used the small backstrap with great results. Still kick myself for selling it.

bsg
01-11-2010, 5:43 PM
you mentioned the glock, so i assume you are interested in a semi auto. that being said i would suggest you look very hard at a sig sauer P225 or P6. if the need for a relatively small grip size is at issue, and you want a high quality combat handgun... i don't think either of these guns will disappoint. if you want "newer" you would do well to look at a sig sauer P239 which is smaller than the two guns already mentioned. good luck with your search....

bigbob76
01-11-2010, 6:12 PM
I've just heard too many stories of people accidentally firing them while pulling from the holster

And why did they have their finger on the trigger before they were on target?

Vectrexer
01-11-2010, 6:21 PM
Try a Sig P6.

Try a Steyr M40 or M9

Aluus
01-11-2010, 6:28 PM
Well in a few of the instances with the glocks it was because they were being attacked and in their rush to draw their weapon their finger slipped into the trigger guard early, OR in one case during requals, same damned thing happened while drawing from the holster

Got to handle a 4 inch XD 40 today, felt quite comfortable in my hands. Now as for say a 3rd gen glock 17... i dunno. it's just a little too wide to be comfortable. i can USE it but it's not quite a perfect fit. My fingers are really short. Example: my middle finger is just under 3 and a half inches long. As for the mentioned sigs i've heard about them from various friends and my instructor. In fact tomorrow the gun shop next to my school is having a sale refurbished Sigs. They'll hold one for me for 90 days if i deposit 1/3 the cost.

marklbucla
01-11-2010, 7:19 PM
I don't get it: people are saying that they have small hands, but a Glock fits well??? Are you all sure that you're gripping it correctly? I've go small hands too, and my middle finger is right at 3.5" long as well. To get a good grip down the V of my hands I can't reach the trigger that well. To get a good press on the trigger, I wouldn't have a good grip on the gun and it would be cheating to the right.

Amongst CZs, 1911s, Kahrs, Hi Powers, J & K Frame revolvers, Walthers, and Sigs; Glocks easily have the largest grip.

Again, I've got small hands too, probably about the same size as the OP's. CZs and K Frame revolvers fit me the best though I opted to standardize on 1911s for range use and Kahrs for CCW.

ChrisTKHarris
01-11-2010, 8:12 PM
How about a H&K P2000SK? It comes with a small and large backstrap. I use the large backstrap on mine, and it fits my hand perfectly.

If you're a four fingered Simpsons character the SK version is perfect. I myself have five fingers and the SK is a bit cramped.

bsg
01-11-2010, 8:35 PM
90 day layaway with 1/3 deposit is not bad in this day and age....

GlennG31
01-11-2010, 9:30 PM
If you're a four fingered Simpsons character the SK version is perfect. I myself have five fingers and the SK is a bit cramped.

Was this with the flush mag plate or the one with the pinky extension? My mags have the pinky extension, and it does make a difference with the grip. Granted, my fingers are not that large, so it works fine for me. YMMV.

kAnJii
01-11-2010, 9:34 PM
For my short fingers, I like any 1911 for a .45, and for 9mm or .40, you can't go wrong with cz sp-01, p-01, hk p2000, or hi-power.

Stubby
01-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Aluus,

Once again I will state it is 1000% a training issue and 0 % the gun. In a sudden all out bum rush attack that catches you totally by surprise you probably should not even attempt to pull out a firearm. Indeed if you do, you are most likely going to end up like the stories you have been told. Shot by your own weapon and by your own hand!!! I think way too many people put the cart before the horse. You should worry about the software not the hardware first.

That being said by all means try as many Handguns as possible to get a feel for what works. Believe me man I feel your pain. My middle finger measurement is a whopping hair over 2.5 inches. I use a Glock 31 with a grip reduction and a Glock 19 2nd Gen with its original grip. Oh and too top it all off I have only 1 hand to grip it with so YMMV but trust me if I can do it with the Glock you can do it with almost anything:D

BTW, What are you going to use the handgun for?? Duty? Home defense?

hkusp9c
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
HK USP 9mm compact
Sig P228, P229, P239, or P238

Aluus
01-12-2010, 1:46 AM
I'm looking for a piece to carry as an armed guard with an exposed firearms permit

bigbob76
01-12-2010, 6:46 AM
I don't get it: people are saying that they have small hands, but a Glock fits well??? Are you all sure that you're gripping it correctly? I've go small hands too, and my middle finger is right at 3.5" long as well. To get a good grip down the V of my hands I can't reach the trigger that well. To get a good press on the trigger, I wouldn't have a good grip on the gun and it would be cheating to the right.

Amongst CZs, 1911s, Kahrs, Hi Powers, J & K Frame revolvers, Walthers, and Sigs; Glocks easily have the largest grip.

Again, I've got small hands too, probably about the same size as the OP's. CZs and K Frame revolvers fit me the best though I opted to standardize on 1911s for range use and Kahrs for CCW.

+1 Sounds like common sense and good taste to me! I was having difficulty with some of the reasoning in other posts in this thread.

zman
01-12-2010, 9:20 AM
A 1911 with slim grips is what I'll suggest. They have 'em in 9mm too if you prefer.

Are you anywhere close to Murrieta/Temecula? I'll let you shoot my TRS w/ slim grips and some other guns you may want to try from my stable.

Stubby
01-12-2010, 9:56 PM
Ok armed guard it is!!! Excellent!! Well I think many very good recommendations have been given so I would say find an indoor range and rent a few guns and have fun. I would caution against any 1911 pattern gun as there are some companies that may not like the cocked and locked thing ( yeah I know stupid fools)

If you are in the LA/OC/SB area hit me up. Between me, my roommate and anyone else we can drag along I am sure you can have a bunch of fun at a range!

IrishPirate
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Aluus,

Once again I will state it is 1000% a training issue and 0 % the gun. In a sudden all out bum rush attack that catches you totally by surprise you probably should not even attempt to pull out a firearm. Indeed if you do, you are most likely going to end up like the stories you have been told. Shot by your own weapon and by your own hand!!! I think way too many people put the cart before the horse. You should worry about the software not the hardware first.

Then why carry a gun? On the off chance you'll see the attack from a mile away? If you're going to carry a gun it's your RESPOSIBILITY to the rest of the world to know how to use it. You shouldn't get a gun if you're not going to learn how to use it through muscle memory. Like you said, it's a training issue, not a gun issue, so you need to train before you carry. Maybe we're saying the same thing and I'm just not seeing it....

You know you need hardware before you can create software right? was that just a failed hardware pun? Again, we're both probably saying the same thing (train, train, train), but I'm lost in your post.

gamma105
01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Personally, I like the ergonomics of Sig, HKP2000, SA, and 1911s.

Snake eyes
01-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree with Stubby. Anyone can be taken by surprise by an attacker even the super ninjas among us with the heightened spidey senses or the elite commando, operator, trained killer, gunfighter types.

If a bad guy jumps me and I find myself engaged in face-to-face hand-to-hand combat, perhaps grapling, wrestling, or heaven forbid some kind of choke hold the last thing I would do is reach for my gun. Instead I would use fists, knees, elbows, fingers ect. I would try to gouge eyes, crush balls, crush windpipe, break fingers, twist limbs, bite, kick, scratch, well, you get the picture.

If I were fortunate enough to see trouble coming I would draw my weapon, it only takes me about a second. If I saw something I thought might be threatening I would prepare to draw my weapon and shorten my draw time. However, if I find myself in hand-to-hand before I can draw every fraction of a second is going to count. I wouldn't want to gamble my life on whether or not I could effectively draw and shoot when I'm already engaged in H2H but would rather do my best with the weapons I already have out, namely my hands, elbows, ect.

Now, to respond to the OP's question. I too have small hands. My first semi-auto was a Sig 239 in 9mm. You can also get them in .40 and .357(interchangeable). Fits my hand great. Then I picked up a 1911 for the first time. It felt like it was made for my hand.

randy
01-13-2010, 1:34 AM
1911 with thin grips and a short trigger you'll be golden

nitrofc
01-13-2010, 5:51 AM
Try a Glock 27.
Will takes some practice. But if you can handle the .40 caliber energy.....it's a sweet little handgun, jmho.

fw190fan
01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
I have smallish hands and just picked up a Sig P229 a month ago. It fits my hands quite well with the factory grips. I was thinking of some slimmer grips just to see how they feel but I think I'm ok the way it is now.

Aluus
01-14-2010, 7:36 PM
Well, i finally made up my mind and went with a 4 inch XD 9. now i just need to find a level 2 duty holster.

ChrisTKHarris
01-14-2010, 9:50 PM
Well, i finally made up my mind and went with a 4 inch XD 9. now i just need to find a level 2 duty holster.

Get a Blackhawk Serpa CQC you'll thank me later.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blcqcsehomaf.html