PDA

View Full Version : Need some help installing a hometheater

2DoorImpala
01-09-2010, 10:32 PM
So i bought one of those theater in a box for the guest room. I have everything hooked up only when i switch over to the PS3 I cant lower the volume from my TV controller it produces sound even when muted. Its super loud. I can only lower it if I'm watching a dvd in the dvd player it came with.

Set up goes:

PS3 connected to lcd via hdmi
5.1 speakers connected to dvd player.
Rcas from dvd to lcd video 1 input

I dont really care if i cant watch movies on the cheap dvd player it came with, i just want it to able listen to the sound when the pop a bluray on the ps3. i got a bunch of of audio and video inputs and outputs but i have no idea what goes where :TFH:

Also the lcd audio option are

SPDIF: PCM
LEVEL SET: ON
TV SPEAKER OUT

Casual_Shooter
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Something doesn't add up.

If you only have the HDMI cable from the PS3 to your TV and no other cable from your PS3 connected to anything, your TV should control the volume of the PS3- game, DVD etc.

i.e. you sure you didn't hook up the optical audio to your receiver/ dvd player?

How do you have a 5.1 connected to a DVD player? Is it also a receiver?

2DoorImpala
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Yea, its also a receiver. no optical connected.

The RCAs are connected to the lcd video 1.

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zc3hjp.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/14cw755.jpg

Is was wondering if theres a way to connect my speakers to my tv without the dvd receiver. All the 5 speakers connect to the sub-woofer. The subwoofer has an option for dvd or switch to tv and its a powered woofer.

right now the speakers are connected to subwoofer which connects via rcas to the dvd/receiver

audiophil2
01-10-2010, 7:52 AM
Tell us the make and model # of the htib and tv.

Casual_Shooter
01-10-2010, 6:14 PM
Ditto to what audiophil2 says.

But let's stay with the PS3 for now.

You say PS3 connected to lcd via hdmi.

So, the PS3 is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable yet you can not control the volume of a game/ movie playing in the PS3 via the TV.

But you say sound comes through the stereo speakers. This means an audio signal is getting to the receiver some how.

You say Rcas from dvd to lcd video 1 input

This means you are plugging your DVD player directly into the video one input of your TV?

Might help if you took a photo of the back of each of your components.

Can't answer your question on running your speakers from your TV via the subwoofer at first glance. I can't see how you would get 5.1 sound unless your subwoofer has a built in decoder.

This should be fairly easy to square away once we get some accurate information.

the_natterjack
01-12-2010, 5:39 PM
So i bought one of those theater in a box for the guest room. I have everything hooked up only when i switch over to the PS3 I cant lower the volume from my TV controller it produces sound even when muted. Its super loud. I can only lower it if I'm watching a dvd in the dvd player it came with.

Set up goes:

PS3 connected to lcd via hdmi
5.1 speakers connected to dvd player.
Rcas from dvd to lcd video 1 input

I dont really care if i cant watch movies on the cheap dvd player it came with, i just want it to able listen to the sound when the pop a bluray on the ps3. i got a bunch of of audio and video inputs and outputs but i have no idea what goes where :TFH:

Also the lcd audio option are

SPDIF: PCM
LEVEL SET: ON
TV SPEAKER OUT

What make/model TV is this? You may need to change your TV audio output from a FIXED level to a VARIABLE level so you can control the volume up and down with the TV remote control. A FIXED level means the audio out comes out very loud and, of course, at a fixed level. It could be the LEVEL SET: has an off or variable option.

Your setup should be . . .

from PS3 to TV with HDMI ( video and audio )
from HTIB to TV with RCA cable ( video )

from TV ( audio out ) to HTIB ( audio in ) ( carries PS3 audio out TV to HTIB )

Try that,

Brian

Richie Caketown
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
is your HDMI cable a 1.2 , 1.3 , or 1.4

the ps3 can actually be picky with certain HDMI cables

Casual_Shooter
01-13-2010, 7:59 AM
The OP said sound came out of his stereo speakers NOT the TV yet the only cable connected to the PS3 was the HMDI to the TV. And there was no connection from the TV to the receiver (although there was a connection to Vid 1 "input" of the TV).

What he describes is impossible given the posted connections but should be fairly easy to remedy once we have some more details.

My feeling is the the RCA's the OP mentions are connected to the Vid 1 Input of the TV are actually connected to the "Audio Out" of the TV and "Vid 1 Input" of the Receiver.

Rob454
01-14-2010, 4:33 PM
Take a pic of the actual component connections at the back of the DVD player TV and PS