PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of non-DOJ approved from ppt via non Ca FFL to Ca FFL

glassblower
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I would like to purchase a Sig X5 L1 which is not on the DOJ approved list and have seen several on sites such as gunbroker. After reading a number of posts and sites, I know this much. A non CA FFL Dealer may not sell or transfer any pistol not on the DOJ approved list to a CA FFL Dealer. But, what is not clear, is whether a private party can, through a non CA FFL transfer a non DOJ approved pistol to a CA FFL.

I've asked a CA FFL and they looked at me like I was a criminal or trying to break the rules, I'm not, I just would like to have a nice pistol such as the Sig X5 L1.

Can anyone shed any light or clarity on this?

Thanks,
Al

dfletcher
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I would like to purchase a Sig X5 L1 which is not on the DOJ approved list and have seen several on sites such as gunbroker. After reading a number of posts and sites, I know this much. A non CA FFL Dealer may not sell or transfer any pistol not on the DOJ approved list to a CA FFL Dealer. But, what is not clear, is whether a private party can, through a non CA FFL transfer a non DOJ approved pistol to a CA FFL.

Thanks,
Al

Just for clarity sake, can you give an example? Such as "Mr.Smith in NV hands his SigX5 to a Reno FFL who mails it to CA FFL for sale to you" sort of routine.

glassblower
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
OK, here's an example, Mr Ingus in Nebraska offers his NIB SigX5 for sale at gunauctionsite and I have the winning bid. He goes to his FFL (or he might already have an FFL) in NE and sends the X5 to my favorite FFL in CA. I do the safe handling drill, wait 10 days, show my gun lock and go to my local range. Note, a NIB X5 L1 has a 14 rnd mag and Mr Ingus must not send me those mags.

Vin496
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Simple answer in no.

PPT is a term used to describe a sale of a gun from one California resident to another at the same shop at the same time.

The only way to get a non rostered handgun from a resident of another State, is if that person is a direct relative of yours. Direct relative is a father/mother, grandparent or child. No Aunts, Uncles, or cousins.

If you are interested or maybe qualify for this, you can learn more by asking about an "Intra Familial" transfer.

scobun
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Simple answer in no.

PPT is a term used to describe a sale of a gun from one California resident to another at the same shop at the same time.

The only way to get a non rostered handgun from a resident of another State, is if that person is a direct relative of yours. Direct relative is a father/mother, grandparent or child. No Aunts, Uncles, or cousins.

If you are interested or maybe qualify for this, you can learn more by asking about an "Intra Familial" transfer.

While the answer to the OP's question is still that they can't do the transfer they want, I believe that if the other party is a resident of NV, NE or whatever and is physically present in CA for the transfer, then they may transfer the gun to you through a PPT.

Vin496
01-09-2010, 11:32 PM
While the answer to the OP's question is still that they can't do the transfer they want, I believe that if the other party is a resident of NV, NE or whatever and is physically present in CA for the transfer, then they may transfer the gun to you through a PPT.

Not an off roster gun. Only way is through an Intra Familal transfer.

If the gun is on the roster then yes a out of State resident can go to your local FFL and you can do a transfer(not a PPT) of a firearm.

This is a transfer and is not bound to the $35 fee, the FFL can charge whatever they want, and the purchase will count towards the 1 gun 30 day rule.

Sinixstar
01-09-2010, 11:39 PM
If i understand it correctly - the reason why it would not be a legit transfer, is because the law says CA FFLs cannot IMPORT off roster guns for the purpose of transfer to a non-approved person (LEO). Since they would be accepting delivery of an off-roster gun with the purpose of resale - then, guess what?

It doesn't matter who you actually paid money to - it matters that the CA FFL would have to accept it for the sole purpose of handing it over to you. That's a no no.

I however, am not a lawyer - i could very easily be wrong.

Chk Chk Boom
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
If you could do it simply like this, there wouldn't be a REASON to complain about the DOJ list... We'd ALL be buying "banned" handguns from out of state.

Librarian
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
If i understand it correctly - the reason why it would not be a legit transfer, is because the law says CA FFLs cannot IMPORT off roster guns for the purpose of transfer to a non-approved person (LEO). Since they would be accepting delivery of an off-roster gun with the purpose of resale - then, guess what?

It doesn't matter who you actually paid money to - it matters that the CA FFL would have to accept it for the sole purpose of handing it over to you. That's a no no.

I however, am not a lawyer - i could very easily be wrong.

Somewhat more to the point, a CA FFL may not transfer an off-Roster handgun to a CA resident who is not exempt from the Roster requirement - the restriction is applied through the DROS process. As mentioned, PPT is exempt from the Roster, but PPT is implemented to accommodate only participants with California identification.

glassblower
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks to all the responders...... for my purposes, I'm left with the answer of no, and if it isn't, it's probably far more hassle to do the transfer than any seller or myself would want to do.

In my particular case I will settle for the X5 competition, which is on the roster and similar to the L1, and send it off for mods.

glockwise2000
01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
The answer o the OPs question is no. The only HG that a non-CA FFL could transfer to CA FFL are the ones on the CADOJ approved roster of HG.