PDA

View Full Version : Rust Found!

Mugwump
12-19-2005, 1:04 AM
I took the M1A out to Metcalfe yesterday, and started to do the cleaning this evening when I found rust in the rear aperture elevation knob. Some background: I bought the rifle brand new and quickly found that cast iron parts suck! So, I purchased some USGI parts and everything fit together, and worked nicely.

But, when I was breaking it down tonight, I found rust and immediately began trying to get rid of it. I have most of the major cleaning and rust formulas, but I'm looking for some knowledge to erradicate the rust completely. Any suggestions?:eek:

kantstudien
12-19-2005, 2:24 AM
Soak in Breakfree?

Josh
12-19-2005, 4:30 AM
little elbow grease and a bronze brush or small piece of scotch brite pad.

Then just make sure everything has a light coat of oil.

Pryde
12-19-2005, 5:57 AM
Get a Hoppe's no. 9 abrasive cloth, it will strip rust right off and doesn't hurt the metal in the least bit.

It will strip off bluing however.

M1A Rifleman
12-19-2005, 7:37 AM
I have found rust in the SAn Jose area to be the norm due to humidity especially if you keep it stored in a safe or locked container. Once you get the rust scale off, keep things gerously lubed with Beak free. I found that the Silicon gun cloths due not work - had rust and pits all over stuff after using one of these cloths and letting things sit in the gun safe November to January. What works best is a small piece of leather shammy (for drying your car) keeping it saoked in break free to wipe things down.

fun2none
12-19-2005, 8:00 AM
Put DampRid (http://www.damprid.com) dessicant pack in your gun safe. It worked for me.

MrTuffPaws
12-19-2005, 9:55 AM
For the rust that I have found, I use a copper penny and just rub it off. Then I coat with BF-CLP. Works like a charm.

Pulsar
12-19-2005, 12:13 PM
In my gunsmithing class if ther is some surface rust on a barrel or something like that we just take it over to the polishing wheel and give it a light touch up. If done right you don't touch the bluing, but the rust comes off. If it's real light rust, a scotch bright sponge with some simple green would work fine.

UberPhLuBB
12-19-2005, 8:45 PM
I had a horrible bluing salt problem on my Mini-30, so bad in fact that I had to blast the barrel/receiver union with Hoppe's and soak a rag over it for a few hours to get it out.

I tried was running it through the dishwasher because when I submerged it in the tub, the air wouldn't seep out of the cracks. The dishwasher just made the salt crystals re-grow out further and the whole damn thing rusted after 5 minutes in the dishwasher's drying cycle.

Oil was the only solution to both the bluing salt and rust problems for me. I try to keep a very thin coat of Hoppe's on all my blued guns (and parkerized portions of stainless guns) when not in use, and I wipe the excess oil off before I go out shooting. I've only had one other gun rust and that was the bead sight on a parkerized Remington 870. Oil took care of that too.

Breakfree CLP supposedly protects, but it didn't work on the 870. Maybe I never used enough though.

Pulsar
12-19-2005, 9:04 PM
Little tip for blueing salt seepage. If you find you have salt's leaching out, hit em with some vinegar, the salt's are a base, and the acid in the vinegar neutralizes the salts.

UberPhLuBB
12-19-2005, 9:06 PM
I'll remember that for next time.

I was able to take care of it after 2 baths and the oil soaking though.

kurac
12-20-2005, 9:06 PM
I just coat my blued handguns with some CLP and then vacuum seal them using my meat packer. No problems yet, even if the safe was under water for a few years I am thinking they will come out OK.

dadoody
12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Smear Cosmoline or other similar metal grease over all metal parts. This will prevent rust.

saki302
12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Militec-1 is the best- it doesn't run off as easily as break-free- militec stays where it's put.

Some guys on another board have used olive oil (!) with good results on their carry guns too...

-Dave

dadoody
12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Militec-1 is the best- it doesn't run off as easily as break-free- militec stays where it's put.

Some guys on another board have used olive oil (!) with good results on their carry guns too...

-Dave

no freakin' way. Militec-1 is a good dry lube, but a HORRIBLE rust preventor. Break-Free CLP is a GREAT rust protector, but medicore at cleaning and lubing.