PDA

View Full Version : Glock mag selection

D53
01-09-2010, 8:29 PM
I have noticed a lot of people making a big deal about whether a Glock magazine is factory, KCI (korean), or Scherer. I have pretty much owned nothing but factory Glock mags with the exception of a couple Sherer mags. And honestly I have noticed no difference in the magazines. I was just curious if any one on here has had FIRST HAND, not buddy of a buddy stories, of failures with non factory Glock magazines. And if so, what types of failures did you have?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 9:10 PM
Glock mags are relativly inexpensive so why bother with knockoffs?

DerGlock
01-09-2010, 9:59 PM
I had feeding issues with a victory 31rd mag with my g35 the first time out. Will give it another try and see if the issue persist.

If glock made a ultra high capacity mag for the 40 I'd get it instead(I did buy the original glock 33rd for the 9mm)

joelogic
01-10-2010, 12:48 AM
The KCI mags dont load as smoothly as factory mags. It seems like there is more follower tilt and makes the mags harder to load. But it may just be me. However they shoot just fine.

Turbinator
01-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Promag made some hicap Glock mags prior to 2000. I tried out 4 and sent back 1 for a refund (from Midway). It had consistent failures to feed. This is firsthand experience.

Turby

$P-Ritch$
01-10-2010, 1:35 AM
I had a hi-cap scherer mag when I lived in GA. On two separate occasions the follower got stuck down in the mag and I had to disassemble the mag to fix it. Other than that it fed like a champ. However, that convinced to buy only factory mags from then on and have not had a single feeding issue since.

Quiet
01-10-2010, 8:31 AM
Back in the mid-90s, I had some Pro-Mag Glock 22 15 round magazines.
Had a malfunction with one of them, cause me to toss the rest as garbage.

Middle of a match, had a failure to feed. Did a tap and rack drill, bottom the magazine fell off, which dumped all my ammo. The magazine was new just out of the packaging.

Ever since I've stuck with factory Glock magazines.

Echidin
01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I own both glock factory mags and scherer. The scherer's seem just as good as the glock magazines straight from the factory. I have yet to have a problem with them. I haven't had any experience with the KCI's.

BigAL
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
The KCI mags dont load as smoothly as factory mags. It seems like there is more follower tilt and makes the mags harder to load. But it may just be me. However they shoot just fine.

I noticed the same thing with the Korean mags I have for my G17 and G19. No functional problems when shooting. They don't load as smoothly as Glock factory mags, especially when new. They are practice only mags for me.

D53
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
So from the responses, I am understanding that the knock off mags sometimes, not all, but sometimes ( usually 1 out of a couple, only number I was given was 4, so 1 out of 4) will have feeding issues, usually due to the follower getting stuck. Also knock offs tend to be harder to load. And in one case so far the bottom plate fell completely off during a competition ( which is totally unexceptable).
So pretty much if you buy them, then just used them for your out at BLM land practice/ screw around mags. Or your practice for a magazine malfunction mag.
Thanks for your input guys. :thumbsup:

McCrown
01-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I got some KCI mags a while back. the G17 mags that I got had a problem w/ wolf ammo and the spring felt a little weak. It turned up that the wolf ammo was longer than other ammo that I had and it worked ok with other types of ammo.

Turbinator
01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I should also mention for the Promag Glock mags I tried, the mags I did keep, I had to shave down excess plastic with a knife in order to get them to function properly. The molding process left a bit to be desired. I suspect that Promag were in a big rush to get these mags built up prior to the start of the 1994 Crime Bill, as these mags were made pre-Sept 1994.

Turby