PDA

View Full Version : Damn sentry safe wont open and my guns are stuck inside

lazyman
12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
well, I bought a sentry safe model g2215 at walmart for 247. I got so excited I put my rifles in and tried the 3# combo and now the thing wont open:mad: I'm such a moron for not testing the lock when it was open:mad: anyone else bought a sentry and have the combo not work?

wuhungsix
12-19-2005, 12:59 AM
wow that sucks...you sure you turning the dial the right way?...try contacting sentry with your serial # for the safe...maybe they will have the holiday spirit and help you out...

...otherwise you can push it off an overpass..

lazyman
12-19-2005, 2:49 AM
the serial number on the box and on the bottom right side match and I played with it for at least 20 minutes and no luck. I'm gonna call customer service tomorrow I'm just frustrated and I really don't want to put it back in the truck by myself, it was quiet an experience getting it up to my room.

Rumpled
12-19-2005, 8:58 AM
My Sentry with electronic lock has a key under the panel.
You remove the electronics and open it with a key.
Does yours have this?

TimG
12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Are you using the right marker ?? on mine there is a mark at about the 10 o'clock position as well as the one that youre suppose to use. When I first got my safe I tried using the wrong one a few times.

Just think how much you'll save on ammo if you cant get it open

Inoxmark
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Also remember to turn the dial counterclockwise at least 3 times before dialing your combination.
I remember reading somewhere to also try dialing combination with digits around your code, i.e. if your code is 10-50-25, try also 8-48-23 and 12-52-27. etc.
That sucks, good luck to you.

lazyman
12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
instructions state
1. start with dial on zero
2 turn dial left three turns and stop at ___
3.turn dial right stopping second time on ___
4.turn dial left stopping first time on ___
The model I have is the 10 gun with 3 number combination lock

Moonclip
12-19-2005, 2:24 PM
My first Sentry safe, the 14gun combo dial model broke under warranty with like at least 50 handguns in it! I had to call Senty, which told me to call three locksmiths, get quotes and take it to the cheapest one and sent the receipt to get reimbursed.

I didn't want the locksmith in my house so I muscled this safe in to my truck with my dad and off we went to the locksmith. Notthe greatest part of town and the locksmith had to basically bash it open with various tools, took him about one hour to do it too! That safecracking stuff with the stethoscope is Hollywood BS. This all occured on the sidewalk in fron of the shop!

Sentry made good and sent another safe as well as the locksmith fee was paid. I noticed with these and other safes, don't jam the safe so full that the door needs to be forced to close it. It seemed to have contributed to jamming the door closed somehow, the bars and such get tweaked and don't engage properly or something I think.

And of course, make sure you are indexing the correct line when dialing the combo.

1911_sfca
12-19-2005, 3:01 PM
Make sure you are following the directions in the owner's manual. I found the lock is slightly different than other combo locks.

instructions state
2 turn dial left three turns and stop at ___
3.turn dial right stopping second time on ___
4.turn dial left stopping first time on ___
The model I have is the 10 gun with 3 number combination lock

Make sure on step 3, you turn the dial right (clockwise), PAST THE FIRST NUMBER again, and then land on the second number. This may be your problem.

wolfsong
12-19-2005, 3:19 PM
Just my opinion, but shoudn't the safe work when you buy it? I just left Sentry's web site and the lowest priced safe was $655.56. Seems to me that for close to $700.00 dollars, the damn thing should work, the exact combo numbers should line up, instructions should be clear and concise and customer service should be a priority. After reading the posts here, I would not buy a Sentry safe for a $100.00! What if it malfunctioned and DIDN'T lock?!? Think of the problems and potential liabilities then! What would Sentry say then? "Go ahead and get three estimates for the funeral, send them to us, bury the person and then we'll reimburse you"? Stay away from Sentry safes! There are better safes available for comparable money. It's sad that we have to learn by being ripped off. Maybe the anti-gun people actually own this company?:confused: :mad: :confused:

Bobshouse
12-19-2005, 6:57 PM
Very simple to break into. Drill a small hole in the side where one of the locking bars are. Take a hammer and punch and strike the locking bar, the safe will open. Takes less than 60 seconds if you know what your doing.

Bob

donger
12-19-2005, 7:25 PM
Very simple to break into. Drill a small hole in the side where one of the locking bars are. Take a hammer and punch and strike the locking bar, the safe will open. Takes less than 60 seconds if you know what your doing.

Bob

Kind of scary Bob...

What do you do for a living? :eek:

lazyman
12-19-2005, 8:19 PM

Bob

no way you gotta be kidding me I would think this thing is tougher than that

Ratters
12-19-2005, 9:47 PM
I had the same problem with my Sentry. Thought I was fuxored then realized I just wasn't doing it properly. Make sure to clear the combination before starting and then follow the instructions to a "t". Good luck, but just keep at it, it'll work.

vega
12-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Make sure you are following the directions in the owner's manual. I found the lock is slightly different than other combo locks.

Make sure on step 3, you turn the dial right (clockwise), PAST THE FIRST NUMBER again, and then land on the second number. This may be your problem.

Shouldn't this be PAST THE SECOND NUMBER and then land on the second number?

vega

vega
12-19-2005, 10:54 PM

BobWhat kind of drill are you using? I added extra hole for anchor and I had a hard time drilling it.

vega

lazyman
12-20-2005, 12:16 AM
ha! got it open. Directions state
2. turn dial left three turns and stop at __
3. turn dial right stopping second time on ___
4. turn dial left stopping first time on ___

I was passing zero 3 times then hitting the number then turning clockwise passing zero twice then counter clockwise passing zero once.

Instead you have to pass zero twice on the first number, once on the second and once on the third. Interesting. haha, I'm so relieved that my babies are not stuck inside anymore.:D

vega
12-20-2005, 7:22 AM
Glad you finally figured it out. Isn't it nice to be reading the manual from time to time.;)

I think you owe something to those babies, how about go out shooting with them.

vega

delloro
12-20-2005, 7:29 AM
Kind of scary Bob...

What do you do for a living? :eek:

nothing much, at least not 'till he's paroled....

Bobshouse
12-20-2005, 6:20 PM
Actually I was at a gunshow and the Liberty Safe Booth was showing a video on how cheap Sentry Safes really were...It pissed me off also to find they were that easy to break into, cause I have one!:(

True Brit
12-20-2005, 7:00 PM
Just remember one thing. If you can hump the safe out then so can others.

50BMGBOB
12-20-2005, 8:57 PM
Any safe that you aren't trying to save is easy to get in to. Forget the door, the top, side or back is usally only 1/8 to 1/4 inch steel, with 2 layers of wall board and 16ga to 1/8 inch steel liner. A cheap skill saw with an abrasive wheel blade will cut thru it easy and cheap! It is just loud!! If the safe is small enough to be moved and not bolted down, then it only will keep the honest, dumb or lazy out. Otherwise it buys time which hopefully gets someones attention and responce. I say this so you know that a good safe is not a guaranty. It will help but not an absolute. Also in looking for a safe, some security features are nice but will they really slow down someone that is willing to cut your safe in to pieces to open it?

lazyman
12-21-2005, 1:29 PM
yeah the walls are only about an eigth inch thick around. I'm sure that someone could get in with enough time but luckily my walls house walls are extremely thin and my neighbors are good friends so I guess that's the best I can do. Man was I relieved when I got that damn thing open, I screamed a loud "WOOO!" in jubilation. it's 2,2,1 instead of 3,2,1 like how the directions say. anyways I think this thing is way better than the stack on or any gun cabinets I've seen out there. Yes I owe it to my babies to take them out for a day of fun but my AR has some damage to the lower reciever (incorrect stock installation left me with a busted buffer retainer and some small bits missing out of the lower) oh well another story.

Ratters
12-21-2005, 6:11 PM
Sentrys are for stopping the casual theif but will not stop anyone dedicated to getting your guns. I bought mine cause I needed a second safe to keep in the closet till I could get my 1300lb safe from the ex wife. Now I have both and the Sentry holds my dad's old non working guns. I'm actually gonna have to pick up another decent safe as the big one is finally completely full. Hmmm.

Congrats on getting the safe open. Told ya you just needed to work on it. :)

pogo
12-23-2005, 3:59 AM
I have the same Sentry model and just found this thread - Yeah, my Sentry is the only safe I have that is 2-2-1, not 3 2 1 like the others, glad this had a happy ending!

A power tool attack inside your home is possible, but a lot less likely than them carting it off and attacking it later at their convenience, I still need to bolt mine down, or at least bolt it to another larger safe SXS so they couldn't move them.

The first safe I bought did the same thing to me, it was an ancient Douglas Aircraft surplus sale special. Worked fine, brought it home, put my Glock in it and couldn't get it open. Seller was nice, apologetic, and fumbled with it for some time before rescuing my pistol and refunding my money.

lazyman
12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Yeah I bolted it to the wall as I could only get about a quarter of an inch into the ground. I used a stud finder and ran into another dilemma as the studs did not match up to the holes supplied, so I ran down to home depot got a inch thick board cut to the safes outer dimensions, bolted that to the wall stud and bolted the safe to the wood board, so far so good

saki302
12-24-2005, 11:13 AM
You can buy low-end Cannon safes (American- somethingorother) for about $700-800 on sale for a pretty big one- why settle for a sentry?

I have had to slice a safe open for my uncle with an abrasive blade on a circular saw (small pistol safe)- it opened like butter.

I thought of a good way to stop this plan- buy ceramic sharpening rods (cheapest you can find ( and glue them all around the walls of the safe and door randomly. Every time the abrasive wheel hits one, it will wear down quick, then the rod will have to be shattered with a chisel- talk about wasting time :D

It's pretty rare for gun safes to be broken into on-site anyhow- if you bolt it down, it'll likely still be there, esp. if you bought a good one. You don't have the crown jewels in there, after all.

-Dave