PDA

View Full Version : CA FAL - Imbel or DSA? Parts kits?

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 3:14 PM
Please help me learn about FAL's in CA.

I saw an IMBEL reciever at a local shop....should I jump on it, or try to find a DSA? The IMBEL was about $400, IIRC. Sounds a bit expensive based on what I've read, but it also seems to be about the same price as the DSA, and I'm not sure I want to monkey around with trying to jump through all the hoops to get a DSA (which seems to be in short supply right now), trying to find an FFL to do the transfer, etc.

I'd rather just get it and be done with it. So should I jump on the IMBEL or not?

Once I get that, what else do I need?

Where should I buy parts from?

I think, based on what little I've read so far, that it is far easier to have someone build the gun for me.

What is the best company to build it for me?

Will there be any issues since it is a CA rifle? I don't want a top-loader....I'd rather have them assemble it without the pistol grip.

What else do I need to know?

Help me out please!

EDIT: Also, what is the deal with certain parts kits becoming illegal? How will this affect me & the FAL I'd like to build?

Thanks

Rascal
12-18-2005, 4:52 PM
Go head and get the Imbel.
As far as kits go. go to www.falfiles.com and look there. All the answers you ever wanted to know about FAL's is there and more. You can find kits over there too.
I know you don't want a "top loader" but having shot my FAL both ways, I prefer the fixed mag and pistol grip. YMMV

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 5:51 PM
Go head and get the Imbel.
As far as kits go. go to www.falfiles.com and look there. All the answers you ever wanted to know about FAL's is there and more. You can find kits over there too.
I know you don't want a "top loader" but having shot my FAL both ways, I prefer the fixed mag and pistol grip. YMMV

I think I'm going to go ahead and do that; as I said, it doesn't seem like I'm going to save any money at all by trying to find a DSA reciever, and the hassle isn't worth it to me when I know exactly where I can drive to buy the Imbel right now and have it in my hands within 10 days.

I know about FALfiles....I need to spend time there, which I will do over the next few days.

Any tips about who I should have build my FAL?

Do any of the builders offer parts kits, or do I have to hunt for one? I'd rather just send them the reciever & let them take care of the whole thing.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the FAL is quite as simple as the M1A....but it is still a cool gun and I want one. :)

Rascal
12-18-2005, 6:01 PM
Rich at CGW is a favorite here, as he is in Nevada.
As far as kits are concerned, you will have to find these yourself. DSArms has very good STG kits, although expensive, Brad at gunthings, Ricketts, and a host of others on the files have kits also, just look in the marketing section.
The lower is a piece of cake to build. The upper you will need the proper tools to do it.

Leo762
12-19-2005, 6:40 PM
i would not buy an imbel for 400.

they are really nice and there is nothing wrong with them - type 3 doesnt look as good but its stronger:rolleyes:. anyways 400 is way too much for that, the supply is low and the demand is high but i would not pay more than $325 for it.

but if you got the cash and dont want to wait- go for it.

now that i have 2 FALs (both on imbels) i would probably do the jumping through the hoops for a DSA, but in your shoes who knows :)

in conclusion, the price is too high but if you really want it and dont want to wait, you can get it.

ps. and assembly is easy as hell, all the parts just go together, have CGW or whoever you want put the barrel on, time it and headspace it, save some money too :)

DrjonesUSA
12-19-2005, 6:43 PM
i would not buy an imbel for 400.

they are really nice and there is nothing wrong with them - type 3 doesnt look as good but its stronger:rolleyes:. anyways 400 is way too much for that, the supply is low and the demand is high but i would not pay more than $325 for it.

but if you got the cash and dont want to wait- go for it.

now that i have 2 FALs (both on imbels) i would probably do the jumping through the hoops for a DSA, but in your shoes who knows :)

in conclusion, the price is too high but if you really want it and dont want to wait, you can get it.

I may be wrong on the price.

Regardless, even if it is $399, I think I'll jump on it.

I guess the whole AR reciever fiasco makes me want to just get it while I can.

What is your take on DSA front ends? I'm considering just going for broke (and I literally will be broke when this rifle gets built! :D) and getting a brand spankin' new DSA barrel assembly so that I don't have to fret about what sort of kit I'd end up with and get refinished anyway.

By the time you buy a surplus kit & have it refinished, you are probably out about as much as the cost of a new DSA kit, aren't you?

Rascal
12-19-2005, 8:31 PM
Complete front ends from DSArms run from $450.00 to $600.00.
Complete lower with U.S.A.made internals is $443.00 to $573.00
Their STG kits run $329.95 and I have heard that they are very good.
CGW charges $195for assemble & test plus refinish.

It's cheaper to buy the kit and have CGW build it for you.

did you look around the market forum on falfiles? There is usually acouple of FALs up for sale.

DrjonesUSA
12-19-2005, 8:33 PM
Complete front ends from DSArms run from $450.00 to $600.00.

Thanks.

I've been doing some reading and the DSA may not in fact be the way to go.

IF I were to get the DSA front end, I'd still need a stock, trigger group, top cover, etc, right?

So I'd be out a LOT more than just getting a surplus kit, right?

Someone here PM'ed me and said that I can buy any CA-legal FAL if I have them pin a 10-round mag in it.

Rather than do that, could I just have them remove the pistol grip & not send any 20-round mags?

It would still be legal, right?

Rascal
12-19-2005, 8:44 PM
Yes.
You could also buy a mag catch and 10 round mag, send it to the person you are buying it from and ask them if they would replace the mag catch and put the 10 round mag in and you would be fine that way. It only take a minute to do this.

Rascal
12-19-2005, 8:45 PM
forgot to say modified mag catch. :o