PDA

View Full Version : Non-resident attending CA match with hi-cap mags

High Lord Gomer
01-09-2010, 4:25 PM
I have done lots of reading here over the last week and have not been able to find anything that definitely addresses my situation.

I will be leaving for San Diego tomorrow and would like to attend a match while I'm there next week. All of the mags I have for my pistols hold more than 10 rounds. I have been told that I can bring them to CA for a match but I have been able to find nothing I could point to on the internet that provides a basis for this.

(Editted to add: M&P, so relativley recent acquisition (post 2000))

I did find (on here) that I can let a friend of mine (who is a CA resident) also use my gun and mags in the competition as long as I am there.

So...

1. Can I bring high capacity mags to the state for the purpose of attending a competition?

2. Does anybody have a link I can reference which supports doing so?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

bigcalidave
01-09-2010, 4:38 PM
No.

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 4:46 PM
Yes there is an exemption for competiters of sactioned matches.
Edit, AW's are exempt not the mags.

CSACANNONEER
01-09-2010, 4:50 PM

For AWs there is but not for magazines.

DO NOT bring any +10 round mags to Ca. unless you possesed them here prior to 1-1-00.

bigcalidave
01-09-2010, 4:54 PM

No there isn't. LEOs from other states aren't even allowed to bring +10rd mags. There is NO exemption for it.

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 5:06 PM
For AWs there is but not for magazines.

DO NOT bring any +10 round mags to Ca. unless you possesed them here prior to 1-1-00.
That was it, my bad.:o

Are you just making things up? No there isn't. LEOs from other states aren't even allowed to bring +10rd mags. There is NO exemption for it.

You ever been to "Best in the West" SWAT competition before? Maybe we should try to arrest all of those out of state cops who are illegally importing Hi cap mags.

bigcalidave
01-09-2010, 5:12 PM
Not saying any cop would arrest another leo for doing it (maybe? ) But there is NO exemption anywhere for it.

DedEye
01-09-2010, 5:59 PM
No (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_bring_large_capacity_magazines_into_the_ state_with_me_if_I_did_not_possess_them_here_prior _to_January_1.2C_2000.3F).

IrishPirate
01-09-2010, 6:07 PM
guns ok, hi-caps not. sorry, your legally aquired mags are too evil because they weren't legally aquired in our state (AKA, you never paid us any sales tax.....lame, i know)

DedEye
01-09-2010, 6:13 PM
guns ok, hi-caps not. sorry, your legally aquired mags are too evil because they weren't legally aquired in our state (AKA, you never paid us any sales tax.....lame, i know)

The magazines do not need to have been acquired in this state. They must have been possessed here. There is a difference.

erik18
01-09-2010, 6:41 PM
Can someone post the penal code section for the AW exception for matches and sanctioned events?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 6:49 PM
Can someone post the penal code section for the AW exception for matches and sanctioned events?

12280. This is the part that has the import exemption.

(l) Subdivisions (b) and (c) shall not apply to the possession of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle by a person to whom an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent pursuant to subdivision (k).
(m) Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(4) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

JDay
01-09-2010, 7:57 PM
Not saying any cop would arrest another leo for doing it (maybe? ) But there is NO exemption anywhere for it.

You missed this part of 12020.
The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine to or by any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.

Those competitions are considered to be training.

JDay
01-09-2010, 8:02 PM
12280. This is the part that has the import exemption.

(l) Subdivisions (b) and (c) shall not apply to the possession of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle by a person to whom an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent pursuant to subdivision (k).
(m) Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(4) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

You can use this to get around the magazine importation ban too. All you have to do is put a bullet button and high-cap magazine on the rifle before entering the state.

welchy
01-09-2010, 8:13 PM
You ever been to "Best in the West" SWAT competition before? Maybe we should try to arrest all of those out of state cops who are illegally importing Hi cap mags.

Must be nice to be above the law.;)

Stoner
01-09-2010, 8:57 PM
Must be nice to be above the law.;)

Yes it is, thank you, I have enjoyed it for years!!:rolleyes:

High Lord Gomer
01-09-2010, 9:09 PM
Thank you guys very much! You have saved me much potential trouble.