PDA

View Full Version : SU-16B Test Drive

11Z50
12-18-2005, 2:14 PM
I took the SU-16B out for the test drive today. Bottom line up front: Performance is as good, or better than the Mini-14.

Ammo used was SS109 green tip, Rem/Win Ball and Rem 45 gr HP.

I started out with a function test; 30 rounds rapid fire. No problems. Then a 20 round aimed fire at 50 yards. No problems. Then, as fast as I could load them, 4/30's, rapid fire. Mag 3 had a failure to extract, as did Mag 4. I noted the rifle chambered a little sluggishly after clearing the stoppage. I suspect the rifle was getting a little gunked-up at this point. Even an M-4 will start having stopages after 4-5 Mags on FA. Although I ran a patch down the bore prior to shooting, I intentionally did not detail strip and clean prior to the first go-round. Don't ask me why, that's just how I do it.

Next, the 2X10rd KT mags that came with the B model. One stovepipe in the second mag.

While the windy and rainy conditions were not conducive to any accuracy testing, The piece seemed to be on target for the plinking I was doing.

Some might think I'm crazy but I like the no-handguard look. I may not put any on at all. Using the front of the mag well as a forward grip seemed to work just fine. (I did wear a thick leather glove on my off hand) I don't know if I'd recommend shooting the rifle without any handguard at all to anyone, but I've shot alot of automatic weapons and I am super sensitive of hot barrels!

I was thinking of a red dot, but it would just add bulk to a sleek and lightweight package that already has decent irons. If anything, if it proves to be accurate enough, I might mount a 3X9 scope for certain applications (ie Mr Squirrel) but most likely irons will suffice.

Overall, a nice shooting lightweight rifle that packs enough punch to take care of business. I think I'll keep her!

delloro
12-19-2005, 8:42 AM
...I was thinking of a red dot, but it would just add bulk to a sleek and lightweight package that already has decent irons....

not a JPoint. small and featherweight.