PDA

View Full Version : mech tech systems

HeyZeus
01-09-2010, 2:01 PM
I want to build a 45 acp carbine with this mech tech systems setup.

How can I do this in a legal way?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/images/Telescoping%20Stock%201911%20full%20length%20A.jpg

http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 2:08 PM
You will never legally be able to use the slide assembly unless you file SBR paperwork with the ATF and get an AW permit from the DOJ. You will also need a BB

Quiet
01-09-2010, 2:36 PM
The Mech-Tech has been disscussed before and 1-2 calgun members have built CA compliant Mech-Techs.

To be CA legal...

If installed onto a 1911 or Glock frame, it would need a magazine lock.
Magazine lock = grinding down the magazine release until it was below the surface of the frame and at the point where a person can no longer operate it, unless a tool is used.
Only 10 round or less magazines can be used in the magazine locked Mech-Tech.

The OAL of the Mech-Tech with the extending stock, will cause it be too short to be legal.
The full stock version has to be used or a 4" barrel extension has to be added for the extending stock version.

Federally...
Once, the Mech-Tech is installed onto a 1911 or Glock frame, you have now made a rifle.
In order to legally install a pistol slide/barrel to the 1911/Glock frame, you must get BATFE approval to make a SBR. BATFE will not approve the making of a SBR in CA, unless the maker has a Dangerous Weapons Permit issued by the CA DOJ BOF.

Librarian
01-09-2010, 3:05 PM
Thanks, Quiet. Dedeye, I added it to the FAQ (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_build_a_carbine_from_a_MechTech_kit.3F) on the Wiki.

DarkHorse
01-09-2010, 3:19 PM
Federally...
Once, the Mech-Tech is installed onto a 1911 or Glock frame, you have now made a rifle.
In order to legally install a pistol slide/barrel to the 1911/Glock frame, you must get BATFE approval to make a SBR. BATFE will not approve the making of a SBR in CA, unless the maker has a Dangerous Weapons Permit issued by the CA DOJ BOF.

What if you use a 1911 that is C&R?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 6:08 PM

Doesn't matter, the second that frame is mounted to the Mech Tech carbine kit it is now a longarm and forever more shall be considered a longarm in the eyes of the law.
If you ever want to use that frame in a handgun configuration (NFA short barreled rifle), you'll need to submit a form 4 with 200$ for the tax stamp, and file for an AW permit with the DOJ.

bohoki
01-09-2010, 6:19 PM
Doesn't matter, the second that frame is mounted to the Mech Tech carbine kit it is now a longarm and forever more shall be considered a longarm in the eyes of the law.
If you ever want to use that frame in a handgun configuration (NFA short barreled rifle), you'll need to submit a form 4 with 200$ for the tax stamp, and file for an AW permit with the DOJ.

what if you use the mech tech without a buttstock?

would it be an assault pistol because of the handgrip area or would it be an assault rifle cause of the pistol grip?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 6:29 PM

would it be an assault pistol because of the handgrip area or would it be an assault rifle cause of the pistol grip?

Barrel length of a shipped "basic CCU" is 16.25".......thats a rifle length barrel.
Trust me i've looked real hard at those. IMO that set up in 10mm would be a very potent survival gun.

bohoki
01-09-2010, 6:31 PM
Barrel length of a shipped "basic CCU" is 16.25".......thats a rifle length barrel.

but if the over all length of the item is less than 26 inches it cant be a "long arm" right

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 6:42 PM
but if the over all length of the item is less than 26 inches it cant be a "long arm" right

Straight from DOJ's firearm definitions. If you bought one and chopped it down then I think you would be safe, as long as there is no stock attached.

Handguns
A handgun is any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that
has a barrel length of less than 16 inches. The term also applies to any device that has a barrel
length of 16 inches or more which is designed to be interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches.
(Penal Code 12001(a).)

DarkHorse
01-09-2010, 8:30 PM
Heck, by that definition, all you'd need to do is remove the buttstock, and make sure it can't be reattached. You could keep the barrel at 16.25" because you could interchange it w/your normal barrel.

dfletcher
01-09-2010, 9:34 PM

That's an interesting proposition, but to be C & R eligible the 1911 would have to be in it's original configuration and AW laws do apply to C & R guns.

dfletcher
01-09-2010, 9:38 PM
Heck, by that definition, all you'd need to do is remove the buttstock, and make sure it can't be reattached. You could keep the barrel at 16.25" because you could interchange it w/your normal barrel.

Once you attach your 1911 frame to the Mech Tech upper switching back is not permitted - has to remain as a rifle. I lucked out and found a Federal Ordnance alloy frame for $90.00, fitted the "nonmag" mag and leave it that way. I was in OR over Thanksgiving and the thing is a blast with the ProMag 25 round drum mag.

dfletcher
01-09-2010, 9:42 PM

If you have a unit with no buttstock and it is greater than 26" OAL then I believe it becomes an AOW - not a handgun, not a rifle.