View Full Version : Springfield XD-9 4" or S&W 9mm 4"?

01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
My S/O is looking into purchasing a S&W very soon and I'm trying to persuade him into the Springfield XD. Which do you think is a better handgun???

01-09-2010, 4:26 PM
You are going to have people coming down on both sides; it will be like Chevy vs. Ford.:) The best thing would be for him to go to a range that rents guns and try them both. If the exact model he is considering isn't available, have him try something close.

That said, I have had a XD subcompact 9mm for 6yrs. and carry it daily as my ccw gun. I believe I made an excellent choice and know that I can rely on it for self defense if needed. I have had any problems with it other than a wrong rear sight that SA took care of. It was a Heinie sight that LAPD had ordered for all of the XD models they sold, not a stock one.

I have shot the 4" XD in 9mm and the compact .45 and like the both. I have never shot the S&W M&P (would I be correct that this is the model he is thinking about), so I can't give any help in that area, but I'm sure there will be some comments

01-09-2010, 6:35 PM
The best thing would be for him to go to a range that rents guns and try them both.

I tried out an XD, Glock, and M&P. The XD was a hands down winner in my opinion. The range I went to doesn't charge for rentals if you end up buying a gun from them.

01-09-2010, 6:46 PM
It's all personal preference, they are both fine guns, I'd say what ever fits his hand better and just feels better to him is the way to go , for me it was the XD over the M&P, but only because I couldn't afford a Kahr

01-09-2010, 6:53 PM
Try them both. There's no compelling reason not to get either, so choose the one that feels the best.

01-09-2010, 7:08 PM
If it's between XD and M&P, I'd likely go XD. As above, it really comes down to what fits the shooter best.

Now if you toss a Gen 2 or Gen 3 S&W into the discussion, then neither XD nor M&P would be considered by me. But that's just how I roll.

01-09-2010, 7:22 PM
i have and xd40 and a xd45 but not a xd9... yet. i think you get the idea of where i stand :D

01-09-2010, 7:36 PM
The Glock 19 is the best. To me. Go to a range and shoot them all. I was dead set on getting an XD9 until I shot one side by side with a Glock.

El Gato
01-09-2010, 7:49 PM
the wife is a firearms instructor and has been shooting and carrying daily, ccw and on the range... XD 45 tactical's....she has a couple... and a compact 40 that is engraved... she never shoots/carries the compact 40 ...ever... used to but quit when the .45's came along...

then she tried the M&P...and is doing the tapping of the foot and the crossing of the arms...waiting for me to install the night sights so she can put it on her permit... she LOVES the M&P... both the way it shoots/recoils ... and the way it fits her hands... not that she is afraid of recoil.. just that the full size m&P is very easy to handle... It's a really nice gun....

01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
in a poll here the Mand P will win. I prefer the XD myself.

01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Get the XD40 and buy a 9mm Barrel Conversion next christmas....

01-12-2010, 8:58 PM
I tested XD, Smith , Glock all three at the same time in the range.
In my case, Glock was the winner followed by XD and M&P.
So between XD and M&P I'd go with XD.

01-12-2010, 9:42 PM
Dupe! :D

Seriously... there's another thread on this exact topic from about a month ago.

01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Both are good handguns, it all depends on what feels better in his hand. Have you tried SW99/Walther P99? It might be something else to consider. Same S&W warranty (unless you buy the Walther, of course), nice ergonomic adjustable grip.

01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I like the feel of the xd better but to each his own

01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
M&P, Glock, and XD line are all great pistols. However you would "look" the coolest with the XD.

01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
S&W 9mm [what]?
What XD do you have? Remember, if he gets a similar gun in 9mm he'll be using your mags, and your holsters, and your lights, and your ammo, and your targets, and your case, and your safe. Pretty soon he'll be asking if he can move in with you. Do you really want that?

01-12-2010, 11:59 PM