PDA

View Full Version : Glock experts, I need your help! G26 ejection issues.

cj cake
01-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, I went to the range with a friend of mine to do a little target practice. I have never shot with her before and didn't know what she was bringing to the range. She shows up at my house and we head to shooting area. While setting up I notice she is shooting her carry gun, a Glock 26. I carry a G27 and a G23. We start talking about our guns and she says she hates to shoot this gun because it ejects the brass directly up and to the rear but this was her carry gun and she needs to get better with it. I didn't think much of it at first because I never really pay attention where my brass flys. I stand behind her and a little to the right and observe her shooting. She says she is having problems hitting the target so I am watching her technique to help her improve her grouping, when it happens. An empty case flys up and bounces off her chin and down her blouse. She handled it well. She carefully set the pistol down before she did the hot potato dance.

Every case that ejected flew directly back toward her face. This caused her to flinch when she pulled the trigger because she kept getting pelted in the face. I told her that we needed to fix that problem first befor we move on. She told me that her shooting instructor said it was her fault because of the way she holds the pistol and how her wrist moves. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

So I hand her my g27, no problem. Glock 23, no problem either. Them I shoot here G26. First shot. brass to the forehead! Her gun was a new from the factory gun with no modifications. What causes this? Is this common for the G26? Is there a fix?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM
How old is the gun?

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html
Go through this page/blog/what ever the hell it is. The author has most of the updates that Glock has done to their guns.

cj cake
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
It is a Gen III about six months old. No more than 800 rounds through it.
How old is the gun?

cj cake
01-09-2010, 1:11 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html
Go through this page/blog/what ever the hell it is. The author has most of the updates that Glock has done to their guns.

I haven't found anything here yet, but I will keep looking. Thanks for the link.

Anyone here have a Glock 26 who notices the same pattern? What about other 9mm Glocks?

gvbsat
01-09-2010, 1:17 PM
Have you tried a different ammunition? Is she shooting her own reloads? I know that with my 19 with 4 gr of W231 and a 115 gr bullet I start to do the blink before squeeze thing because for some reason, that load particular runs the brass right in my face. On the bright side, I dont have to go too far to pick the brass up!

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 1:19 PM
It is a Gen III about six months old. No more than 800 rounds through it.

Does the ejector have a 336 stamped on it? I'm thinking maybe a 40cal ejector got in there instead of a 9mm.
My G26 is a "B" series gun from 1996, and my 17 is an "f" series gun from 2003. The part number is the same with both models.
Make sure the ejector has the little "kick" to it. G26 left and G17 right

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/glocks.jpg

cj cake
01-09-2010, 1:19 PM
Have you tried a different ammunition? Is she shooting her own reloads? I know that with my 19 with 4 gr of W231 and a 115 gr bullet I start to do the blink before squeeze thing because for some reason, that load particular runs the brass right in my face. On the bright side, I dont have to go too far to pick the brass up!

I didn't think of that. I will call and ask her if she ever uses other brands of ammo and if it makes a difference. I do know that it is all factory new ammo.

UPDATE: I called and asked her. She says this happens with all the ammo she uses regardless of make. The ejector has a slight bend to the right (inboard) and has 336 on it.

beast556
01-09-2010, 1:31 PM
My 26 did the same thing. I replaced the factory guide rod with a Wolff SS 2 peice guide rod and got extra power 18lb recoil spring set and no more problems and it runs much smoother with the EX power springs.

This would be the first thing I would do and make sure to get the springs from midway usa they are cheaper and ship faster. I'm pretty positive this will fix your friends weapon also. I EDC my G26 also and have never had a problem.

cj cake
01-09-2010, 1:43 PM
My 26 did the same thing. I replaced the factory guide rod with a Wolff SS 2 peice guide rod and got extra power 18lb recoil spring set and no more problems and it runs much smoother with the EX power springs.

This would be the first thing I would do and make sure to get the springs from midway usa they are cheaper and ship faster. I'm pretty positive this will fix your friends weapon also. I EDC my G26 also and have never had a problem.

What is EDC?

So do the extra power springs smooth it up by lessening felt recoil? Her G26 is "snappier" than my G27. She actually started to convince me to trade her because of the ejection issue and she said mine didn't "kick" as much.

Quiet
01-09-2010, 2:40 PM
What is EDC?

EDC = Every Day Carry

Echidin
01-09-2010, 3:37 PM
I've put about 400 rounds through my 3rd gen. 26 and don't recall ever having this problem. Sorry I wish I could help you out a little more.

dchang0
01-09-2010, 3:51 PM
Could also be the extractor or extractor spring. Maybe the extractor isn't grabbing the spent case securely enough, and when the ejector strikes the case, it gets thrown upwards instead of towards the right.

Hk996
01-09-2010, 3:58 PM
When I first bought my glock 19 (mid 90's) I took it to the range the first time and first 2 shots hit the target in the middle... don't remember where the 3rd shot hit, but the brass hit me square in the forehead... needless to say, I didn't shoot it as well after that cause I was flinching. It didn't happen every shot, but but occasionally. I took it out to ask the range guys if they thought it was broken... they said "it happens, its part of shooting"

I still like my glock, and now also have a 21 and 26. Doesn't happen all the time, but will still hit me in the forehead sometimes.

Never really came up with a solution, but you asked if it has happened to anyone else....

Jerkdog
01-09-2010, 4:01 PM
My G19 will do that occasionally. I hear a ball cap.

The guys on GlockTalk will recommend that you ever so slightly "tweak" the ejector. Apparently it doesn't take much, so don't over do it.

Personally, I'd have a Glock Armorer or Gunsmith do the work. Good luck.

Shiloh13
01-09-2010, 4:38 PM
This is not an uncommon problem on Glocks. Have her contact Glock and see about having it fixed. Glock is quite good on warranty work, especially for original owners.

GLOCK
Inc. 6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082 U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

S.F. 1357
01-09-2010, 7:23 PM
Might be a broken or missing ejector. My G30 came with an ejector completely broken out the box. I didn't realize it until my first range session when I kept getting pelted in the head.

Malmon
01-10-2010, 8:59 PM
Just came back from the range, and today was the second time I shot the 19c. I was mindful of this thread while shooting. Most times the casings eject backwards to the right but on occasion, it would eject directly backwards hitting me in the chest. I guess it didn't bother me enough to have noticed this before but nonetheless this is not good.

Mstnpete
01-10-2010, 9:04 PM
I would suggest to replace and change your EXTRACTOR on your Glock. This normally happens if you have a bad EXTRACTOR.
Change it to a new one and this will eliminate the problem.
I shoot competitively and use my Glocks for Limited division IPSC shooting. When the shells starts flying and hitting me on the head that means it is time to replace the EXTRACTOR.

Here's a diagram on how to replace the Extractor:

http://www.topglock.com/content.aspx?ckey=extractor

This should correct the issue.

Peter

Nynvolt
01-11-2010, 7:17 AM
I was working on my grip to improve my accuracy. Was getting a little tedious so I tried to "limp wrist" just to see how loose you have to hold the gun to get it to fail. I never got it to fail but it started to eject the shells down my shirt, my pocket, bouncing off my head etc. So could it be her grip?

TregoMark
01-11-2010, 7:38 AM
I was working on my grip to improve my accuracy. Was getting a little tedious so I tried to "limp wrist" just to see how loose you have to hold the gun to get it to fail. I never got it to fail but it started to eject the shells down my shirt, my pocket, bouncing off my head etc. So could it be her grip?

Improper grip could be the factor.

Blade
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Like the previous poster said, its probably improper grip. The Glock 26 is a sub-compact so your pinky has no grip (unless you have grip extender on mag). The light weight and short barrel also make it "snap" back quickly. Get the grip extenders for the magazines, they are cheap and ez to install. Keep practicing with it and learn to lean into it and squeeze firmly (firm up your wrists too). I've seen so many people flinch or try to "stab" their target when they jerk the trigger. Additionally it may also help to lube the rails and springs, any friction could delay the action enough to cause the ejector to malfunction. It is a fairly new Glock, they are best left alone as most malfunctions I've seen are when people try to modify it (action not furniture). Best of luck.

bigbob76
01-11-2010, 2:57 PM
1. If I bought the gun new I would not do any work whatsoever on it, I would send it to the manufacturer with a detailed description of the problem.

2. A lot of people mean well and try to help other shooters improve their skills but I recommend professional training.

stix213
01-11-2010, 5:30 PM
My 3rd gen G26 does this occasionally. But seeing that the G26 is the ultimate little gang banger gun, you should know that you are supposed to hold it sideways anyways :p

That way the brass always shoots off to the side
http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/sideways_gun300.jpg

1lostinspace
01-11-2010, 5:47 PM
check the spring berring and extractor

TregoMark
01-11-2010, 6:00 PM
My best advise would be to return to the range with the G26 and fire it again with a solid grip. I have some experience with the G26, but mostly with the G17, 22, 23 and 27. A few years ago, I had two female shooters who purchased new G27s. They had problems with failures to feed. I traced it to the ammo we were using at the time (large hollow point with little taper), possibly break-in issues, but mostly improper grip - "limp wrist". I can't say this is the definite problem, but our officers carry the G23 and I rarely see ejection issues like the one experienced. Always check shooter error first and then start swapping out parts. As a Glock instructor told me recently, it isn't beyond the relm of possibility that Cooter and Mary Sue messed up on the assembly line in Smyrna Georga. So, install a new extractor or trigger housing with ejector and see how that goes if a new solid grip doesn't work. As far as gunsmithing the Glock, I don't recommend it - try everything else first. :)

cj cake
01-14-2010, 6:09 AM
We did do a little experimenting. She shot my G27 with no issues, and I shot her G26 and it did the same thing to me. So I thing that eliminates the humanoid in the equation. We will try a few different ammo combinations this weekend.

Can I swap slides/frames between the G26 and G27? That would help determine if the problem is tied to the ejector or extractor.

walter
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
there's no reason to buy no springs or anything. just send it back to glock. when it comes back fixed, sell it and get a new one.

cj cake
02-11-2010, 8:28 PM
It was sent to Glock as advised. I'll let them take care of the problem.

Shoot-it
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I thought glocks were infallible now I hear all these problems with them.I don't feel so bad for buying an xd now LOL.

Shoot-it
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
A few years ago, I had two female shooters who purchased new G27s. They had problems with failures to feed. I traced it to the ammo we were using at the time (large hollow point with little taper), possibly break-in issues, but mostly improper grip - "limp wrist". - :)

A little ramp polishing go's a long ways.Those Failure to feed ammo was by any chance winchester ranger ammo??

TregoMark
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
A little ramp polishing go's a long ways.Those Failure to feed ammo was by any chance winchester ranger ammo??

No, the Winchester Ranger I have has a nice small hollow point. It was the old Remington 180 gr JHP - huge hollow point.

Blackhawk556
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
I thought glocks were infallible now I hear all these problems with them.I don't feel so bad for buying an xd now LOL.

You have to remember that glock sells tons of guns every year so more problems will seem to come up. Let's say glock sells 100 pistols and 10 (10%) are defective. Now let's say SIG sells 10 pistols and 1(10%) pistols is bad. Who had the most defects, glock or SIG???

Some would say glock but by looking at the percentage both SIG and glock have the same amount of defects.

tonelar
02-12-2010, 2:05 AM
I have a G26. It kicks brass up and to my right. I've had hot brass hit me before, but it's usually when shooting indoors where the cases are bouncing off the wall directly to my right.