PDA

View Full Version : A different view on Assault Weapon term.

ap3572001
01-09-2010, 8:04 AM
I had a visitor form Europe about a Year ago.He is also a cop and an ex soldier. We still email to each other few times a month. He is aware of Ca gun laws ( I told him about them). Recenly we were talking about ASSAULt WEAPON issues. Our conversations made me think more on that topic. What is an "ASSAULT WEAPON really stands for?". A European cop friend told me once , to Him an assault weapon is a weapon of choice to attack ot defend Yourself from an attack under cetrain conditions.

He said that if He was to ride subway in New York all the time and carry a gun for protection , His WEAPONs OF CHOICE would be a two inch medium frame .357 revolver and good knife. On the other hand if He wanted to ASSAULT someone from far away or defent himself from such an attack a Steyr SSG or Remington PSS would be the weapon to have.

If a large animal is an expcted threat , that a shotgun with some 3" magnum slugs or a high power rifle is what would be my WEAPON OF CHOICE.

In the case of home invasion a Glock 34 with several G18 magazines loaded with +p+ W-W Rangers would be something I would want to have around ( I DO)

IN Hawaii ( last summer) I felt very good having a lightweight 642 in my shorts pocket. There, it was my WEAPON OF CHOICE. My old a and plain Ruger mini-14 that have seen many hours in the trunk of a patrol car, with couple of spar magazines is my favorite companion while camping in remote areas ,and in my hands it will do just fine against any hostile WANABE with the latest and the black gun on the market. So what really is an assualt weapon after all , He asked me ????????

So are all the guns I mentioned assault weapons?

ipser
01-09-2010, 8:38 AM
This is a valid POV but it also implies a couple things:

Either we classify all military-styled rifles as assaulte weapons (from the Brown Bess to the Garand to the M16) or else we acknowledge that the definition is relative to the times, i.e. the Brown Bess was once an assault weapon but is no longer because something better came along or that what is best is relative to the situation (e.g. revolver vs. rifle vs. shotgun).

While this is all well and good for discussion among gun enthusiasts, I don't think it sheds any light on the popular or legal usage of the term to mean "evil black rifle."

CABilly
01-09-2010, 9:16 AM
If you take the term "assault" and do the same mental gymnastics our legislature, judges and juries have, your voice or a banana or a marble or a pencil can be construed as an "assault weapon".

ipser
01-09-2010, 9:19 AM
http://image.civilshield.com/cartoons/assaultweapon500.gif

oaklander
01-09-2010, 9:26 AM
"Sport Utility Rifle" is being used more and more. . .

ap3572001
01-09-2010, 9:41 AM
"Sport Utility Rifle" is being used more and more. . .

A sport utility rifle is an intersting term. What is the sport? High Power rifles competition? Its almost all done with an AR Platform. Or M1A or M1. Which utility? A nine shot 44 magnum lever gun is a good utility rifle for some people. ( For me too.) or a Remington LTR in .308 or a Sprigfield Socom or a Scout? My Rock River AR is NOT A WEAPON I want to have in my hands in ALL situations. Sometimes I rather have my 8 shot Remington pump with slugs. Does that make the 870 MORE assaultive than my AR ???? How about my Russian SKS? Deadly form 0 to 100 yards. Holds 10 rounds that can be fired quickly, easy to reload under stress. Ammo is everywhere so are the parts. What makes it NOT an assault weapon???

Sgt Raven
01-09-2010, 9:50 AM
......snip........

So are all the guns I mentioned assault weapons?

As I've said before. Assault weapons is a term first used by gun owners invented for a semi auto rifle that looked like a selective fire military firearm. The gun writers at the time picked up on the term and started using it. Then the ad writers started using it in the magazines. Then the Brady bunch and other anti groups took our term and used it against us. :rolleyes:

ap3572001
01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
As I've said before. Assault weapons is a term first used by gun owners invented for a semi auto rifle that looked like a selective fire military firearm. The gun writers at the time picked up on the term and started using it. Then the ad writers started using it in the magazines. Then the Brady bunch and other anti groups took our term and used it against us. :rolleyes:

That is right. I can take it one step further: A firearm that by its SIZE, or caliber or features of its design or capacity , or its unique ability, or by worldwide availability of ammunition for it can be considered a WEAPON of choice for certain situations. An AR style guns or UZI's are NOT weapons of choice for most situatuions, theyare hard to keep out of view and do not have the power for hardened targets. THose guns may look mean , but they are not evil.

yellowfin
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
If you really take it to its root origin, it comes from the German StG44 of WW2. The word was originally "storm rifle". The AW term is a pejoritive, meant to present a negative, sinister, violent image to a rifle. It's offensive to me, basically like a racial slur, and since it was essentially coined by the Nazis (Hitler himself, in fact), it really should be responded to as such.

7.62x54R
01-10-2010, 2:05 AM
Sports Utility Rifle sounds good to me and my preferd way to define a AR15. Just like a SUV is an SUV and not a truck.