PDA

View Full Version : Freedom's Relationship to Gun Ownership

doscazadores
01-09-2010, 8:00 AM
Texans are fortunate, especially those who live in Austin. Howard Nemerov writes for the Austin Examiner and is one of the best authors on the issues of firearms policy and the 2nd Amendment. He tends to look closely at data and draw reasonable conclusions. He has, for instance, written about the failure of police protection in Chicago, a topic of current interest given the pending appeal before the U.S. Supreme Court, McDonald v. Chicago. He has also persuasively argued there is no relationship between gun ownership rates and suicide rates. (This paragraph is a summation of a post by David Kopel over at the Volokh Conspiracy.)
Nemerov, David Kopel, and Carlisle Moody have written recently to analyze the relationship between freedom and the prevalence of gun ownership and finds, broadly speaking, that "the nations with the highest rates of gun ownership tend to have greater political and civil freedom, greater economic freedom and prosperity, and much less corruption than other nations. The relationship only exists for high-ownership countries. Countries with medium rates of gun density generally scored no better or worse than countries with the lowest levels of per capita gun ownership."

The entire article can be accessed and downloaded by going to . . .

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1090441

Hope you can carve out some time to read it. If nothing else if you run into someone dead set against the right, or even the moral wisdom, of firearm ownership, you can always ask them if they've read the article and can offer their own data that contradicts the authors' conclusions.

bohoki
01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
well the price of freedom is eternal vigilance so to me that means you should ba able to solve your own problems
firearms are the great equalizer

Hunt
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
my answer to all these discussions is one word "Mumbai". I don't see how anyone can argue for gun control laws after examining what occured in Mumbai.