PDA

View Full Version : Was I Overly Cautious?

CABilly
01-09-2010, 2:43 AM
I went to have a scope bore sighted and some night sights installed on a Glock* before class the other day. There's a gun/hunting/fishing store on my way to school so I thought I'd pop in and drop them off before class. Anyhow blah blah blah, they got the rifle sighted pretty quick and I walked out with my guns.

I had the Glock in a locked case, mags were at home. The rifle was in an unlocked hard case, obviously unloaded. I had them in the trunk, stood there for a moment, then took them out and went back into the store. I explained that I was headed to class at the college down the street. The guys were cool about it, copied my license, took the serials (gave me a receipt) and agreed to hold them for me over night.

My trunk locks, the handgun was locked, both guns were unloaded. Would I have been fine in the school parking lot? I seem to think I would have been good to go, but I'd also rather deal with picking my guns up from friendly gun store clerks the next day over fighting with the PD/DOJ to try to get them back several days/weeks/months later if anything should have happened.

Does anyone else here bring guns onto campus in such a manner? There's a range somewhat near my schools and I have a 2-hour break in between classes. It'd be sweet if I could plan to go plinking to kill time and not worry about running afoul of any laws. I haven't seen anything in my school's rules about it, either. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

*Got a variety of ammo to trade to anyone in the south Bay Area who'd be willing to install some night sights on a Glock 19 (in a non-Bubba fashion);)

JDay
01-09-2010, 2:45 AM
You would have been fine legally, however if for some reason the school would have found out you would probably get expelled.

BKinzey
01-09-2010, 2:51 AM
Nope, you did the right, er scratch that:rolleyes:, "correct" thing. Having firearms on school grounds is a no-no. If caught expect to be treated like you shot up the place.:mad:

JDay
01-09-2010, 2:53 AM
Nope, you did the right, er scratch that:rolleyes:, "correct" thing. Having firearms on school grounds is a no-no. If caught expect to be treated like you shot up the place.:mad:

College isn't covered by the federal gun free school zone act. Even if it was his vehicle is private property.

SJgunguy24
01-09-2010, 2:56 AM
IMO you failed by not having a loaded mag for your Glock.

CABilly
01-09-2010, 3:09 AM

This seems to be the correct answer. The .pdf search failed me the first time when I entered "weapon/s" "gun/s" "firearm/s" , etc. Reading through, however, I found this:

Students shall be subject to College discipline for any
of the following misconduct which occurs at any time
on campus or at any off campus facility or college approved
or sponsored function:

1. Dishonesty, such as plagiarism, or
knowingly furnishing false information to
the Colleges, or District;

10. [B]Use, possession, or sale of any firearm,
knife, explosive, or other object that could
be classified as a weapon (unless the student
has specific authorization from a College or
District official);

Any fellow De Anza students here, watch those knives. I know the conventional wisdom is that folders are GTG on college campuses, but the school has its own rules.

On another note, is ammo considered an explosive?

ETA: I did fail on the mags - left it sitting right on the safe shelf :no:

bballwizard05
01-09-2010, 3:16 AM
yay for my small private universitiy that is mega conservative and lets me carry my little folders to protect me from.... well no one. Although its in a sketchy part of riverside. At first I thought you were too cautious, but based on your colleges rules, you did the smart thing.

JDay
01-09-2010, 3:18 AM
This seems to be the correct answer. The .pdf search failed me the first time when I entered "weapon/s" "gun/s" "firearm/s" , etc. Reading through, however, I found this:

Any fellow De Anza students here, watch those knives. I know the conventional wisdom is that folders are GTG on college campuses, but the school has its own rules.

On another note, is ammo considered an explosive?

ETA: I did fail on the mags - left it sitting right on the safe shelf :no:

Those rules only apply to students. Ammo also is not classified as an explosive.

CABilly
01-09-2010, 3:25 AM
I am a student.

Damn. All the off-campus parking is either way far away or super tow-happy for students. I was all excited for breaking up my classes with some shooting.

Unless...unless I were to form some sort of 2A club with the school.. I think all I need is a few officers and a charter.. must look into this more.

BKinzey
01-09-2010, 3:31 AM
www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/mar08/fullboard.pdf

On the 10th page of the PDF there is a section on Student Conduct. Section B Grounds for Student Discipline.

Look at #13 (it's on page 12 of the PDF) "Possession or misuse of firearms or guns....."

That should cover state colleges and universities. If you attend a private institution call your campus security and ask them. I seriously doubt they will say it's OK.

I'm sure there are also exceptions if your school has some LEO training program or an actual shooting range but that's not what was asked here.

CABilly
01-09-2010, 3:39 AM
www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/mar08/fullboard.pdf

On the 10th page of the PDF there is a section on Student Conduct. Section B Grounds for Student Discipline.

Look at #13 (it's on page 12 of the PDF) "Possession or misuse of firearms or guns....."

That should cover state colleges and universities. If you attend a private institution call your campus security and ask them. I seriously doubt they will say it's OK.

I'm sure there are also exceptions if your school has some LEO training program or an actual shooting range but that's not what was asked here.

Cool, thanks. That seems to cover the CSU system. I'm sure each, or at least most (heh), community college districts and UC have similar language in their student conduct guidelines.

Note, however, that both sources only mention college/university discipline, not necessarily legal action. I don't know if I'd be arrested (I can imagine tasting some car paint or asphault as the campus Farva lives out his wildest fantasies and saves the day from my trunk guns), but I'd likely be expelled/blacklisted/ruined-for-life-as-far-as-persuing-education-in-CA-goes.

JDay
01-09-2010, 3:43 AM
Cool, thanks. That seems to cover the CSU system. I'm sure each, or at least most (heh), community college districts and UC have similar language in their student conduct guidelines.

Note, however, that both sources only mention college/university discipline, not necessarily legal action. I don't know if I'd be arrested (I can imagine tasting some car paint or asphault as the campus Farva lives out his wildest fantasies and saves the day from my trunk guns), but I'd likely be expelled/blacklisted/ruined-for-life-as-far-as-persuing-education-in-CA-goes.

You should talk to Pullnshoot, he has the campus rules and laws down.

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-09-2010, 4:07 AM
Good thing there wasn't a school shooting.

D.M.C.
01-09-2010, 4:08 AM
I dunno about Community Colleges, but when I was a ROTC cadet at CSUF, we stored our M-16's and M-60's in a rusty locker inside the Public Safety Office. Sometimes we would be able to store our other firearms related stuff there too if we were worried about theft issues in our main building. I recall at least one cadet who worked in Public Safety part-time told us we could store our personal firearms there if we needed while on campus. This may or may not be the case nowadays, and campuses may vary.

GrizzlyGuy
01-09-2010, 8:35 AM
Does anyone else here bring guns onto campus in such a manner? There's a range somewhat near my schools and I have a 2-hour break in between classes. It'd be sweet if I could plan to go plinking to kill time and not worry about running afoul of any laws. I haven't seen anything in my school's rules about it, either. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't bring firearms onto the grounds of schools (including colleges or universities, and including the parking lots) because it is illegal per 626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html):

(i) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings
owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or
administration by, a public or private university or college, that
are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it
is with the written permission of the university or college
president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college
authority, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for
one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a
university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary
entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are
prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

The locked container exemption doesn't apply. That exemption (stated in 626.9(c)) only applies to (b), the part about school zones (not grounds).

ETA: I could be wrong here, see the "Notwithstanding Section 12026" phrase in the beginning.

locosway
01-09-2010, 9:48 AM
College isn't covered by the federal gun free school zone act. Even if it was his vehicle is private property.

Those rules only apply to students. Ammo also is not classified as an explosive.

Way to give out bad info twice!

626.9 does cover colleges, however it's different from the other schools listed. The 1000' rule does NOT exist, however you still may NOT bring any firearms onto the campus, even if they're locked and in your trunk.

So, firearms in your trunk, you park, a nosey security officer sees something in your car, the cops come out, you open the trunk for them, and you're off to jail.

CABilly
01-09-2010, 9:57 AM
I don't bring firearms onto the grounds of schools (including colleges or universities, and including the parking lots) because it is illegal per 626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html):

The locked container exemption doesn't apply. That exemption (stated in 626.9(c)) only applies to (b), the part about school zones (not grounds).

ETA: I could be wrong here, see the "Notwithstanding Section 12026" phrase in the beginning.

:eek:

Well, good thing I left them! While it may feel like it at times, I certainly don't live on campus, nor is it my place of business.

Although, I DID tutor for the school. I was paid and took the oath of upholding and defending the Constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic. So if I get back into tutoring, I might be able to have more of a leg to stand on while trying to get permission.

ETA:

Interesting side note. Check out the oath I signed:
I, , do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution
of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign or domestic; that I
will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of
California; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter.

vs an original version from the 1940's:
"I further swear (or affirm) that I do not advise, advocate or teach, and have not within the period beginning five (5) years prior to the effective date of the ordinance requiring the making of this oath or affirmation, advised, advocated or taught, the overthrow by force, violence or other unlawful means, of the Government of the United States of America or of the State of California and that I am not now and have not, within said period, been or become a member of or affiliated with any group, society, association, organization or party which advises, advocates or teaches, or has, within said period, advised, advocated or taught, the overthrow by force, violence or other unlawful means of the Government of the United States of America, or of the State of California. I further swear (or affirm) that I will not, while I am in the service of the City of Los Angeles, advise, advocate or teach, or be or become a member of or affiliated with any group, association, society, organization or party which advises, advocates or teaches, or has within said period, advised, advocated or taught, the overthrow by force, violence or other unlawful means, of the Government of the United States of America or of the State of California . . . ."

Sgt Raven
01-09-2010, 11:14 AM
It's to bad you can't use the underground shooting range at DeAnza anymore. :p

JDay
01-09-2010, 7:06 PM
Way to give out bad info twice!

626.9 does cover colleges, however it's different from the other schools listed. The 1000' rule does NOT exist, however you still may NOT bring any firearms onto the campus, even if they're locked and in your trunk.

So, firearms in your trunk, you park, a nosey security officer sees something in your car, the cops come out, you open the trunk for them, and you're off to jail.
Read it again.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html

(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in
paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written
permission of the school district superintendent, his or her
designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as
specified in subdivision (f).
(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private
property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private
property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the
firearm is otherwise lawful.
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

GrizzlyGuy
01-09-2010, 7:11 PM
Read it again.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html

Look at the first line that you bolded. The exemption being stated is for subdivision (b) only. That's the one talking about K-12 school zones.

The subdivisions that apply to college campuses are (h) & (i), not (b). The locked container exemption that you bolded does not apply to those.

GrizzlyGuy
01-09-2010, 7:36 PM
The words "K-12" are not in that section.

That's correct, but step back and read (b). It talks about school zones, not campuses (K-12 is in the definition of "school zone" down in (e) ).

He's not asking about going through a school zone. He's asking about going onto school property (the parking lot) of a college. College school property is addressed down in (h) and (i). There is no locked container exemption for (h) or (i), only (b).

N/A for his question, but K-12 school property is addressed in (f). Also no exemption for a locked container.

CABilly
01-10-2010, 6:56 AM
They would be doing you a favor. ;)

I disagree, but I can see how comments such as that are fashionable.

New thought: Suppose we get incorporation. Suppose I transfer in the fall and move in on campus. CSU/UC, being state institutions, would hopefully have to defend their no gun policies in court.

Would, at least getting guns in dorms, be a realistic and maybe even quick victory?

SkatinJJ
01-10-2010, 7:30 AM
I disagree, but I can see how comments such as that are fashionable.

New thought: Suppose we get incorporation. Suppose I transfer in the fall and move in on campus. CSU/UC, being state institutions, would hopefully have to defend their no gun policies in court.

Would, at least getting guns in dorms, be a realistic and maybe even quick victory?

The regs at CSU Chico include the following line:

() Possession or misuse of firearms or guns, replicas, ammunition, explosives, fireworks, knives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals (without the prior authorization of the campus president) on campus or at a University related activity.

So just get the permission from the president of the university, and you're set. (LOL) This is related to the permission re: possession in 626.9, but be cautious with the university, they may mean to NEVER grant permission.

They may try to bust you, and therefore, deter you from firearms possession for the rest of your life and theyeby, do you a favor.

Good luck and Semper FI!!!

JJ