PDA

View Full Version : Imbel FALs CA-legal?

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 12:41 AM
I saw an Imbel FAL reciever in a local shop today.

Didn't even occur to me to ask about it as I was focused on other things. :rolleyes:

What's the deal with these? Is this a real FAL reciever?

Is it similar to the AR deal where only certain FALs were listed?

Worth buying?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

C.G.
12-18-2005, 3:56 AM
I saw an Imbel FAL reciever in a local shop today.

Didn't even occur to me to ask about it as I was focused on other things. :rolleyes:

What's the deal with these? Is this a real FAL reciever?

Is it similar to the AR deal where only certain FALs were listed?

Worth buying?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

If it is $300 or less I would jump on it, since they will no longer be importable after New Year's. Imbel is reputed to be second only to DSA receivers.

6172crew
12-18-2005, 7:20 AM
The DSA receivers are around $330 after shipping.

ady
12-18-2005, 9:21 AM
do you mean into kal or the U.S.

HeHateMe
12-18-2005, 10:24 AM
In CA you have to either turn it into an SKS-FAL or shoot it without the pistol grip.

shopkeep
12-18-2005, 10:31 AM
There are no plans to ban the IMBEL califals, adding them to "the list" is a different procedure from adding to the roster of "AR and AK series". There is, however, an ATF ban on imported BARRELs that will take effect 1/1/06. This just means any imported reciever will now have to have a US Made barrel on it. You can still put all the other parts you need on your CaliFAL. Since FALs are immensely popular in both the PRK and the Free States, I have no doubt domestic barrels will be available shortly after the ban.

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 10:46 AM
There are no plans to ban the IMBEL califals, adding them to "the list" is a different procedure from adding to the roster of "AR and AK series". There is, however, an ATF ban on imported BARRELs that will take effect 1/1/06. This just means any imported reciever will now have to have a US Made barrel on it. You can still put all the other parts you need on your CaliFAL. Since FALs are immensely popular in both the PRK and the Free States, I have no doubt domestic barrels will be available shortly after the ban.

So is this something I need to jump on, or can it wait?

I don't have a particular desire for a FAL right now, but if the recievers are going to be banned anytime soon, I'd like to get one.

6172crew
12-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Imbel receivers are no-longer imported into the USA, If you want one get it now. If you dont care about building on a Imbel then wait. The dsa recivers are better IMHO. (I have both).:D

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Imbel receivers are no-longer imported into the USA, If you want one get it now. If you dont care about building on a Imbel then wait. The dsa recivers are better IMHO. (I have both).:D

Are the DSA recievers pretty readily available?

Why do you think the DSA recievers are better?

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Also:

Is it easy to find FFL's in CA (nor. cal specifically) that will transfer the DSA recievers without DOJ letters and hassle?

Veritas_223
12-18-2005, 11:16 AM
If you don't mind, where did you see the Imbel and how much?

Steyr_223@yahoo.com

Thanks

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 3:31 PM
In CA you have to either turn it into an SKS-FAL or shoot it without the pistol grip.

1) I assume that when you say "SKS-FAL" you mean turn it into a fixed-mag top-loader, but WITH the pistol grip, correct?

2) When you say "shoot it without the pistol grip," this means that it is a real, standard FAL, capable of accepting detachable mags, but only WITHOUT the pistol grip, correct?

Thanks

Rascal
12-18-2005, 3:42 PM
1) I assume that when you say "SKS-FAL" you mean turn it into a fixed-mag top-loader, but WITH the pistol grip, correct?

That is correct.

2) When you say "shoot it without the pistol grip," this means that it is a real, standard FAL, capable of accepting detachable mags, but only WITHOUT the pistol grip, correct?

That is also correct. I will say this, I have shot my FAL without the pistol grip and didn't like doing that. I went ahead and fix a 10 rounder on it ans put the pistol grip back on, and like it much better. Just get the Tapco stripper mount and enjoy.

Thanks

There are many FFLs in the Bay Area that will DROS a FAL receiver. Irvington Arms will order one for you. These are NOT like the AR receivers.
As far as availability, they are very popular and don't last long. DSA seems to always be behind on keeping up with demand. They are great guns and I highly recommend adding an FAL to your stable.