PDA

View Full Version : A question and a half about .45 ACP revolvers.

PutTogether
01-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Question:

What is the point? I am NOT criticizing, as they seem cool as hell (especially since I have a few 1911s), but is there another specific reason? It SEEMS like the idea is that you have a bunch of .45s, feel like shooting a revolver, but don't want to switch calibers? It seems though, that anyone who owns a .45 ACP revolver, also owns SEVERAL other guns - so convenience can't be it. Again, just trying to see if there is some reason I am not seeing other than the fact that they seem pretty neat. Maybe my thinking is stuck, but when I think revolver, I think either:

Caliber too powerful for auto guns (for the most part)
A short barreled .38
A .22

I would NEVER think of .45 ACP, even though I love, and primarily only shoot .45 ACP.

So someone please enlighten me.

Half Question:

Is a .45 ACP revolver anyone's primary defense gun?

MrClamperSir
01-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Question:

is there another specific reason?

I own one because it was part of a dowry

Not primary but always waiting in the wing.

9mmepiphany
01-09-2010, 12:13 AM
there are actually several very good reasons besides it just being cool

1. it will shoot .45 ACP rounds that won't feed through a semi-auto...due to OAL, bullet shape or powder charge. granted you could pull the bullets and reload them again, but isn't it easier to just shoot them.
2. it will handle loads of heavier bullets and powder charges that would unduly stress a 1911
3. it is he fastest loading revolver available due to the short length of the round...less flex in the moon clips. it is at least as fast as the 9mm or .38 Super revolvers

BlackonBlack
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Yah I agree. it's weird they make .45ACP revolvers. The only reason I can think of is cheaper ammo than .44 mag or .357 mag though I'm not positive if that's true. ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol so it was never designed to work in revolvers in fact that's why the ACP line was invented was to make new cartridges for automatic pistols. Seems strange to digress and make .45ACP revolver but that's just me.

Also, revolver cartridges look different as they are rimmed so they stay tight in the revolver, rimmed cartridges can't load in auto pistols hence why they adopted ACP line. not sure how a rimless round even works in a revolver, I thought you had to put them on like a clip where you clide the roads on to them and load the disc with the rounds on it into the gun. Not sure if they are all like this but I have seen this in the past.

Personally i don't own a revolver but if I did i'd get it in a powerful revolver cartridge probably .357 MAG. The insanely powerful rounds are my primary fascination with revolvers.

RogueSniper
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Interesting thought. I was just thinking the same thing a couple of hours ago, but I was considering 45ACP vs. 45Long Colt double action revolvers.

I thought the 45ACP Revolver came about during the time the 1911 came into existence. Production of the 1911 couldn't meet demand and the revolver was being produced for the Brits in .455. A retooling of the cylinder to .45ACP couldn't be that much work. So, both used the same ammunition, mainly for the military, and it had the same stopping power. Less chance of a malfunction in a revolver than in a semiauto. The moon clips had to be a pain and, at the time, easily bent out of shape. This was my thinking regarding the ownership or usage of a 45ACP revolver.

Here's an article (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_153_25/ai_75211985/).

doughboy334
01-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I want an M1917 Colt or S&W Revolver (.45ACP) just for the history and hell of it

edit:
and I think Indiana Jones used one
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark

Gress
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Do I need to say it?- because it is cool and it is different :)
What is the point of owning more than one gun if you have one which is reliable and in a decent caliber? :)
So why .45 revolver?- Because it can shoot a pistol cartridge, because Jerry is superior with it, because...............everybody has his own good reasons. :)
I own revolvers. I do not own a .45 one but would like and will get one one day.

9mmepiphany
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
the 1917 revolvers, both S&W and Colt used the same designation, came into being when the army did not have enough of the new 1911 models to send to the Phillipines during the Morro uprising...the .38 long wasn't having much effect on the tribesman.

the original clips used to hold the rounds in the 1917 were called half-moon clips and held 3 rounds..you used 2 for each reload. the full-moon clip came into being when it was discovered that using them was faster and easier than any speedloader

their was also a round available specifically for the 1917 revolver. it was called the .45AR (AutoRim) which had the same capacity as the .45ACP, but had a thick rim to accomadate the longer headspace and still allow ejection

randy
01-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Its kind of like they say about Harleys. If you have to ask you wouldn't understand.

They are great to shoot, will out shoot a bunch of other guns you pay a lot more money for. Great defense round, and a great way to deliver that round.

Gryff
01-09-2010, 12:58 AM
The point of a .45acp revolver is three-fold:

1) It's the ability to use a damn fine round if you are a revolver guy

2) Using full moon clips, reloads are obscenely fast

3) A revolver is theoretically more reliable than a semi-auto

But it pretty much comes down to the reality that you need to be a revolver guy (or have an interest in wheel guns) to make this worthwhile. Personally, I want a 625 for IDPA use, and a Model 22 just because I love the looks of the gun (very 1930s/Indiana Jones). Both shoot great, by the way.

M47_Dragon
01-09-2010, 4:43 AM
Because they're pretty?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2788242936_fcebcbf09f.jpg

LB21
01-09-2010, 8:23 AM
Don't need a point, I wanted one because I'd like to try out a wheelgun but didn't want to stock up on another caliber.

Mac Attack
01-09-2010, 8:25 AM
I don't own one but like the idea of being able to use my 45ACP rounds in a revolver. If I saw a preowned one for a fair rice locally I would totally jump on it.

Quiet
01-09-2010, 8:35 AM
I own a .45ACP revolver and I would like to get several more.

Got it because, it had a really good price ($408 OTD) and because of ammo compatibility (.45ACP & .45GAP).

I have carried it as a primary several times now, but it mainly serves as my main home defense handgun.

S&W Model 325PD (2.5")
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/CIMG2367.jpg?t=1260725086

Rob454
01-09-2010, 9:29 AM
I would use a 45 ACP revolver simply because it will never jam, and if you need more than 6 rounds to fight off a attacker in your house you got more problems than that one attacker. I don't want to turn my house in a war zone. I have neighbors and family to think about so I'm not gonna go with 4 30 round mags and by the time I'm done ill be out of ammo. I just want the threat to go away. now if that means he is dead or simply runs out of the house either way works with me.

J-cat
01-09-2010, 9:37 AM
The short cartriges have better load density and don't have any powder positioning issues.

Full moon clips load and eject cartriges with super speed.

They don't spit brass all over the place.

They accept and shoot 255 grain SWC loads at near 1000 FPS velocities.

kurac
01-09-2010, 9:47 AM
Here is one from 1956

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/KuracBoban/1955002.jpg

I am guessing it was used in Bullseye competion for a while but well cared for, it came to me about 3 years ago.

Let me add a few reasons why it appeals to me

1. .45 ACP revolvers tend to be tack drivers
2. Large caliber and readily available ammo
3. Chambered in a military cartridge
4. Fast to reload
5. Light recoil
6. Match accuracy out of the box
7. And my favorite part, it makes nice big clean holes with semi wadcutters

J-cat
01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I have to take issue with your match accuracy claim. I have six seven 45 ACP revolvers and the only one that exhibits "match" accuracy is the Freedom Arms.

MrClamperSir
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Also, revolver cartridges look different as they are rimmed so they stay tight in the revolver, rimmed cartridges can't load in auto pistols hence why they adopted ACP line. not sure how a rimless round even works in a revolver, I thought you had to put them on like a clip where you clide the roads on to them and load the disc with the rounds on it into the gun. Not sure if they are all like this but I have seen this in the past.

There is a shelf inside the cylinder that the cartridge rests on. At least that's the way mine works.

Argonaut
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
the 1917 revolvers, both S&W and Colt used the same designation, came into being when the army did not have enough of the new 1911 models to send to the Philippines during the Moro uprising...the .38 long wasn't having much effect on the tribesman.

the original clips used to hold the rounds in the 1917 were called half-moon clips and held 3 rounds..you used 2 for each reload. the full-moon clip came into being when it was discovered that using them was faster and easier than any speedloader

their was also a round available specifically for the 1917 revolver. it was called the .45AR (AutoRim) which had the same capacity as the .45ACP, but had a thick rim to accommodate the longer headspace and still allow ejection

Well, you have some information correct. The Philippine 38 long Colt debacle was at the turn of the century with the Spanish American war and the M1902 Colt "Alaskan" Revolvers in 45 long colt. Anything with a 1917 designation has relevance to WW1. The 45 acp has nearly identical ballistics as a normal 45 Long Colt and that was why the early popularity of the M1911. The revolvers were built because there was existing tooling for them that could be easily adapted Th the same ACP cartridge as the M1911. We were poorly armed and equipped for the WW1 conflict so we really had to scramble to get world class equipment for the troops. All M1917 Enfields were built in the same year or so because we had been building P14 Enfields for the Brits and they were readily adapted to the 30-06 round. We has some Springfields at the time but few and not enough manufacturing capability to get them into the field in time. I shot a M1955 Smith in competition for many years. It was probably the finest Smith built for fit and finish. I also had a m29 built at the same time and it was no where near the quality. The 55 was all hand fit nearly as smooth as my Python. It was superior on the slow fire range to the M1911's because it had a longer sighting radius and you didn't have to deal with the slide movement to get back on the target. The Auto Rim ammo was an after thought made so people could use it in these specific revolvers. They do shoot ACP ammo without the clips as well because rimless ammo head spaces on the case mouth and not the rim. The only problem is you have to use a tool to push the spent cases from the cylinders.

SDJim
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I want a .45APC target model just so I can shoot a 2700 pistol match with all revolvers.

Reason, none besides I want to.

Argonaut
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
The 45's also score higher in competition because they are a larger bullet than the 38's (36 actually) They punch bigger holes and have the chance to raise scores on edge ring shots. A 45 will shoot .9 of an inch groups and be scored higher than a 36 with the same group. (I have taken advantage of this shooting my .54 black powder rifles against modern .30 caliber rifles)

TKM
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Clark Custom just converted my 625 to .460 Rowland. Now it matches my Kimber Warrior II.

The difference between light and heavy loads that I can run in one gun is amazing. I can use all of the .45 ACP pages in the reloading manual now.

ojisan
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
What is the point of owning more than one gun if you have one which is reliable and in a decent caliber? :)

Blasphemy!

:ban:

:p

PutTogether
01-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I had never considered the reloading part of it. I just recently got a reloading press (A Dillon 550 that came set up for .45ACP). It has made me paranoid about making sure I pick up all my brass, and has had me cursing under my breath that I should only shoot revolvers.

Bingo. A Revolver I can get already ready for my reloading set up, and NOT have to run after brass.

I knew I was missing something. THANKS!

J-cat
01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
There is a shelf inside the cylinder that the cartridge rests on. At least that's the way mine works.

On newer S&W revolvers, the 45 ACP cartrige headspaces off the moon clip as the "shelf" (properly called the shoulder) is too deep in the chamber to allow the firing pin to reliably set-off the primer.

J-cat
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
The 45's also score higher in competition because they are a larger bullet than the 38's (36 actually) They punch bigger holes and have the chance to raise scores on edge ring shots. A 45 will shoot .9 of an inch groups and be scored higher than a 36 with the same group. (I have taken advantage of this shooting my .54 black powder rifles against modern .30 caliber rifles)

It is far easier to get a 38 Special to shoot accurately out of a revolver, hence the 45's size advantage is irrelevant.

cmace22
01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't need a point, I wanted one because I'd like to try out a wheelgun but didn't want to stock up on another caliber.

This is why I want one. You can stock up for one caliber and a proven round thats readily available. Even though I hate to bring it up but in a SHTF world it provides an extreamly reliable and long lasting backup to my auto's, if they should ever go down my stock pile of .45 wont be usless!

May I ask WHY NOT have a .45acp revolver?

nn3453
01-09-2010, 1:27 PM
The point of a .45acp revolver is three-fold:

1) It's the ability to use a damn fine round if you are a revolver guy

2) Using full moon clips, reloads are obscenely fast

3) A revolver is theoretically more reliable than a semi-auto

But it pretty much comes down to the reality that you need to be a revolver guy (or have an interest in wheel guns) to make this worthwhile.

^^

You forgot to mention more accurate than most semi-autos.

My 625 will outshoot most factory and semi custom 1911s. You have step into the > $1500 1911 range to match what a good $600-700 revolver can do accuracy wise.

Argonaut
01-09-2010, 1:33 PM
It is far easier to get a 38 Special to shoot accurately out of a revolver, hence the 45's size advantage is irrelevant.

You obviously have not owned one.................

chuckdc
01-09-2010, 3:29 PM
Once I get my finances going again, and I can FIND one, I plan on getting a .45 ACP cyllinder for my SAA clone. My primary reason for doing so is that I'm already set up to load .45ACP and brass is WAY more available than .45LC is. Ammo supply is a LOT easier in general for ACP than LC, not to mention cheaper.
My last box of .45LC ammo had to be shipped in from Oregon, and it was the only one I could find (other than weird super-premium super-costly stuff like Leverevolution)

Army GI
01-09-2010, 4:26 PM
It's true that 45 ACP was never intended for revolvers. But that doesn't mean that you can't design revolvers meant for the 45 ACP:).

45 ACP is just a great round, why not?

CapnHawk
01-09-2010, 5:34 PM
I carried a M1917 Colt DA .45 as a back-up while on tour in SE Asia. If all else failed, it was my go-to weapon of choice. Come Hades or high water, I was going to get six rounds of 230 grain out the barrel and God help whoever was in the way.

BlackMark
01-09-2010, 9:06 PM
The .45 autorim brass is heavier at the case head allowing much heavier loads. I have one load that throws a 255 grain Keith style semiwadcutter at about 1150 fps,and the newer models allow the bullet to be seated out and crimped in the grease groove of that bullet without exceeding the cylinder length. As mentioned above these revolvers are smokin' fast to load in competition,which means they would be be smokin' fast to reload in a defensive situation as well. You can almost close your eyes and throw the loaded moon clip at the cylinder to reload. This revolver makes such a great comp gun,trail gun and home defense gun,that I swear that if I had to choose only one gun to keep this would be it. I have owned mine since 1990 ,bought it new for $350. Many guns have come and gone,but never this one. As mentioned above,if you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand. If you already own one you understand completely.:D

J-cat
01-09-2010, 9:13 PM
You obviously have not owned one.................

You obviously can't read. I own seven.

El Gato
01-09-2010, 9:29 PM
I have the JM model 625... accurate and fast to use... love it... not as accurate as my custom 1911 but more accurate than my Springer 1911 or XD... and I can use any bullet and most loads...looking forward to trying some 255gr swc through it with what would be an obscene amount of Unique...or less... have used this load in other guns and it is amazing...

the 45acp is the functional equivalent of the long colt (factory loaded)...easier to find ammo and I have a Dillon 650 setup for the acp... easy button reloading and I don't have to chase/sort brass... sweet....and if you have to ask why I need 4 45acps... you simply don't understand and never will and that is OK.. I will pray the pistol ... deity will have mercy upon your shooting...:D

dfletcher
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I have a Colt and Smith 1917 and have always had in my collection at least one Model 25 since the early 70s. The 25s have always been very, very accurate and at least the equal of my 14s. The 1917s shoot well (for some reason) with 255 grain lead, I reload Penn 225 grain full wadcutters in the 25.

I kind of like the semi autos in a revolver, have an 80's version 610 in 10mm also.

aklon
01-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Like the OP here, I too am a .45 ACP man, preferring the 1911 over any other sidearm that I have. Because of that, I've followed the discussion(s) on .45 ACP revolvers whenever they come up.

That said, I further agree with the OP in that I can't see purchasing one for myself. I believe that the .45 ACP cartridge was developed for, and best used in, the handgun designed to shoot it: the 1911 pistol, the one John Moses Browning gave us as an American birth right.

If you really want a .45 revolver that carries it's weight, try the S & W Model 25 in .45 Long Colt. This cartidge is also an American original, and mated to the N-frame, you can't go wrong. It's the perfect complement to the 1911; check it out.

(my 2 cents, and yes, I do have a near religious reverence for the 1911)

J-cat
01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
A S&W 45 ACP revolver has all the advantages of a 45 Colt.

dfletcher
01-10-2010, 12:44 AM
If you really want a .45 revolver that carries it's weight, try the S & W Model 25 in .45 Long Colt. This cartidge is also an American original, and mated to the N-frame, you can't go wrong. It's the perfect complement to the 1911; check it out.

I'd have no problem buying one, but have read of more than a few accuracy problems with the older Smith 25s in 45 Colt. And in properly made revolvers I think the ACP is in general more accurate than the Colt, although I would add that the 45 Colt does have a bit more power than the ACP.

RABULL
01-10-2010, 2:47 AM
What KURAC stated on Page 2. Also I own S & W Model 25-2 .45 ACP's, a S & W Model 22 .45 ACP, S & W Model 22-4's .45 ACP's, a S & W Model 625 3" .45ACP and 2 Colt SAA's in .45 Colt with an extra .45 ACP cylinder. All shoot extremely well and my Colt SAA with the .45 ACP is a tackdriver as are the Model 25-2's, Model 22's and the 625.

I also have a number of 1911's but it you shoot a .45 ACP revolver, you will know what the fuss is all about.

Army GI
01-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Like the OP here, I too am a .45 ACP man, preferring the 1911 over any other sidearm that I have. Because of that, I've followed the discussion(s) on .45 ACP revolvers whenever they come up.

That said, I further agree with the OP in that I can't see purchasing one for myself. I believe that the .45 ACP cartridge was developed for, and best used in, the handgun designed to shoot it: the 1911 pistol, the one John Moses Browning gave us as an American birth right.

(my 2 cents, and yes, I do have a near religious reverence for the 1911)

Like I said, indeed the 45 ACP was never meant to be used in a revolver. But that doesn't mean revolvers can't be made that are meant to shoot the 45 ACP.

They're just inanimate objects. Tools and machines. I don't get what the big deal is.

wamphyri13
01-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Shooting that big, heavy, slow bullet from a revolver with minimal recoil due to no slide blowback is obscenely fun. :D
Proud owner of a S&W 25-2.
Ryan

El Gato
01-10-2010, 7:19 PM
I have a 6 in 25 in 45 long colt and is is a wonderment...
the 625 is a different beast for some reason... both fun and no I don't need an excuse for owning either...
I am thinking of selling a .44 mag...what's the point really...I mean.. OK it's like powerful but it isn't the 45 long colt... I have killed deer with both.. the colt is a pretty sure killer...works good on Pork too...:43:

Hunter158
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Also, revolver cartridges look different as they are rimmed so they stay tight in the revolver,

Tight is not the reason they were rimmed... The rimming was partially a holdover from the first rim-fire rounds that preceded center-fire. The rim simply holds the cartridge in position. Also known as headspacing. This type of retention allows for shorter cartridges to be used in certain applications. i.e. .38 Special in a .357 Magnum cylinder. Rimmed cartridges were also used in repeating rifles, as rim-less had not been developed yet.

rimmed cartridges can't load in auto pistols hence why they adopted ACP line.

If this statement were true, then there would be NO .22LR semi-autos. And I'm thinking Sturm-Ruger would not have started their company. Someone else will be able to fill in the other semi-autos that use rimmed rounds.

not sure how a rimless round even works in a revolver, I thought you had to put them on like a clip where you clide the roads on to them and load the disc with the rounds on it into the gun.

What you describe is one way for the rimless rounds to be used in a revolver... IF the cylinder swings out for loading and ejecting. On a SAA or gate loading revolver, typically the cylinder will have a shoulder (shelf) for the cartridge to sit on, that positions it properly.

To answer the OP’s questions… My reasoning was to limit the number of calibers I needed to keep stock of. And since I mostly shoot .45 acp, it seemed like an easy decision.
2nd question: nope, it is not a primary. The SAA is too slow to load/unload compared to the other options I have.

shooting4life
01-11-2010, 1:28 PM
The only thing better than a 625 is a 610

Full Clip
01-11-2010, 2:05 PM
There are a million good reasons here to buy a .45 revolver.
And nary a single good reason not to.
Mine:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/Smith625sm2.JPG

bwiese
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
What is the point? I am NOT criticizing, as they seem cool as hell (especially since I have a few 1911s), but is there another specific reason? It SEEMS like the idea is that you have a bunch of .45s, feel like shooting a revolver, but don't want to switch calibers? It seems though, that anyone who owns a .45 ACP revolver, also owns SEVERAL other guns - so convenience can't be it. Again, just trying to see if there is some reason I am not seeing other than the fact that they seem pretty neat. Maybe my thinking is stuck, but when I think revolver, I think either:

Caliber too powerful for auto guns (for the most part)
A short barreled .38
A .22

I would NEVER think of .45 ACP, even though I love, and primarily only shoot .45 ACP. So someone please enlighten me.

Half Question:

It could be. I have a S&W 625, I love it.

In fact, tonight I will go home and swap out the 10mm for it and sleep on my S&W 625. Just 'cuz. I must have around 1K rounds of 45ACP on moonclips now, I've been buying clips whenever I see 'em at shows.

Remember many folks can load a moon clip into a cylinder as fast as most folks can load a mag in an autoloader. And these guns are phenomenally accurate, balance nicely, etc. Shooting them is a dream in controllability - feels like a 'pop gun' even with hotter loads.

Simple answer: big bore + DA revolver + common bulk ammo, and not usu overkill/controllability issue like 44Mags.

Remember that 45LC cowboy revolvers (certainly Rugers) often can be equipped with a second 45ACP cylinder. Great for travel - if 45LC runs low, 45ACP is always at Wallyworld.

spencerhut
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
.45ACP revolvers are all about two things, already mentioned by others.

1. Fast Reloads - After you load with moon clips, everything else used for revolvers just seems silly. You take speed loaders and I'll run moon clips, lets see who can reload faster. When you put time into practicing, you can load a full moon clip of RN FMJ really fast. If you shoot wadcutters or the wrong hollow points they can get caught sometimes going in. Good fun, great revolver practice.

2. Ammo commonality - If you already shoot Single Stack, you have a bunch of .45ACP already you can now use for those revolver only matches / stages. This is what got me to buy my first revolver. I did not want to start a whole new revolver specific ammo loading adventure so I thought the 625JM / M1917 would solve my problem of needing a revolver. And for the most part this worked out. Then I discovered I liked revolvers. Besides, getting a 9MM / .40S&W / .38 Super moon clipped revolver is a pain in the . . .

RT13
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Until you guys shoot a S&W 625 .45ACP, you will never understand. My Dad owns a SS one and it's a really fun wheelgun to shoot. He bought his in 1984 for HD. It was a good choice because revolvers are more reliable than a semiauto for HD. It has a bit less recoil than a .357 or .44 mag yet more stopping power the .38 special. Also cheaper round and more available. I know semiautos have so much more benefits over revolvers. But revolvers are just more handsome and classy over semiautos. It's like classic cars vs modern cars. Revolvers have soul.:)

bwiese
01-12-2010, 2:17 AM
Then I discovered I liked revolvers.....

That happened to me too.

NavDoc
01-12-2010, 9:09 AM
I had never considered the reloading part of it. I just recently got a reloading press (A Dillon 550 that came set up for .45ACP). It has made me paranoid about making sure I pick up all my brass, and has had me cursing under my breath that I should only shoot revolvers.

Bingo. A Revolver I can get already ready for my reloading set up, and NOT have to run after brass.

I knew I was missing something. THANKS!

That's one of the reasons I own a S&W 610.
10mm brass is not one commonly found on the range floor, so I like to keep what I have! Being able to shoot .40S&W in a pinch is cool too.:D

M1A1TankerTom
01-12-2010, 9:21 AM
I own a SW 325 Thunder Ranch and I love it. All three of the hand guns I own are .45 acp so it was a great way to add a revolver to the family and stay with the same caliber ammo. I use it as my bed side gun simply cuz it has a rail so I have a light attatched and its simple as hell....just point and pull the trigger...nothing to worry about when you are woke up at 2:00 am by some noise and still cleaning boogers from your eyes. On top of all that it has one of the nicest triggers and is accurate as all hell...combine that with minimal recoil and I think its one hell of a gun.

Californio
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Some days you just don't want to shag brass.:)

625 5" and 25-2 6.5" here.

shooting4life
01-12-2010, 1:32 PM
Picking brass sucks. I spent my childhood picking up brass. I hardly ever shoot my auto loaders any more.

DPC
01-12-2010, 1:33 PM
I do own a Model 1917 Smith & Wesson .45 with a 5" Barrel it's one of Smith's Classic reproductions and it is a beautiful piece. I bought for that reason alone it's a safe queen but too pretty to sell. I put 50 rnds of Winchester JHP through it and didn't have to use the moon clips either. Makes a good home defense piece Big bore power .45 cal.

spencerhut
01-12-2010, 1:41 PM
I do own a Model 1917 Smith & Wesson .45 with a 5" Barrel it's one of Smith's Classic reproductions and it is a beautiful piece. I bought for that reason alone it's a safe queen but too pretty to sell. I put 50 rnds of Winchester JHP through it and didn't have to use the moon clips either. Makes a good home defense piece Big bore power .45 cal.

Shooting .45ACP in a revolver cut for moon clips, with out the clips is fine, but you may have fail to fire from time to time. I shoot my original M1917 without clips on occasion. Each time I am reminded why I should always use the clips, I get fail to fires and get frustrated. I switched to Federal primers for all my revolver loads and it helped, some.

Your "new" M1917 may be correctly head spacing on the case mouth without the moon clips, other guns may or may not.

Mikeb
01-12-2010, 2:30 PM
There was a fine man named Bob that was instrumental in the Tuesday Action Shooting Club, who has gone on to that range in the sky that shot a 1917 with moonclips and he was a joy to watch. Fast and clean.
take care
Mike

El Gato
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Had my 625 at the Dept. range today.... went early with the other range staff and they shot my 625...the youngsters had a tough time with the revolver thang... shoots great with lead handloads too... better than I do and that is the problem I was working on...:p

dfletcher
01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Until you guys shoot a S&W 625 .45ACP, you will never understand. My Dad owns a SS one and it's a really fun wheelgun to shoot. He bought his in 1984 for HD. It was a good choice because revolvers are more reliable than a semiauto for HD. It has a bit less recoil than a .357 or .44 mag yet more stopping power the .38 special. Also cheaper round and more available. I know semiautos have so much more benefits over revolvers. But revolvers are just more handsome and classy over semiautos. It's like classic cars vs modern cars. Revolvers have soul.:)

If I were going to have a revolver for self defense at home it would be a 625 with full moon clips. I had one with a 5" bbl, never could get the accuracy out of it I wanted though and sold it. I still use a Model 25 with 6.5" bbl and reload Penn Bullets 225 full wadcutters in the AR case. I think the Penns are great bullets, especially the full wadcutters, and they'll special order size them to anywhere from .451 to .454.

El Gato
01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
If I were going to have a revolver for self defense at home it would be a 625 with full moon clips. I had one with a 5" bbl, never could get the accuracy out of it I wanted though and sold it. I still use a Model 25 with 6.5" bbl and reload Penn Bullets 225 full wadcutters in the AR case. I think the Penns are great bullets, especially the full wadcutters, and they'll special order size them to anywhere from .451 to .454.

The newer guns seem to be really nice...and I way like the 4 in barrel over the 5 in gun and holsters are way easier to get...
I have a 5 in 45 colt that is nice but the 625 Jm in the acp is my fav.... mine is capable of putting them on top of each other if I do my part...half dollar sized groups at 20 yards today....230 gr. lead round nose and 6.5 of unique...safe in my revolver but too hot for my volkmann ....the revolver is really nice...