PDA

View Full Version : Taurs PT-92 AF Pistol

BlackonBlack
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Anyone own one of these? From what I gather they are basically identical to the Beretta 92 series. Made in the same factory, same people, same machines with SUBTLE changes notably in the safety (which some prefer). From my understanding it's just an exact copy of Beretta licensed to Taurus. Does anyone have one that would like to shed some light. What might a great condition used model be worth? Maybe $180 Range?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Beretta_92_FS.gif

http://dysequipamientos.com/images/taurus-92B5.jpg

ojisan
01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Here come the Taurus haters but:
The frame mounted safety on the Taurus is far better than the Beretta.
It allows a variety of locked, cocked, unlocked, uncocked carry options, and still has a decocker.
The frame mounted safety is easy to operate with your thumb without changing your grip.

The Beretta has a nicer finish, is a little slimmer and more ergonomic, other than it's awkward safety location.

Taurus autos were originally built on Beretta machinery, but then the two designs took different paths.

Prices seem to be around $350-400, sometimes less if you are lucky.

M47_Dragon
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
What might a great condition used model be worth? Maybe $180 Range?

Whoa. That is pretty low.

I had the two-tone AFS model. Great gun. Sold it to a CalGunner for $350 or $400 (can't recall) and I think that was a steal. I believe the buyer thought it was a good price as well. Maybe he will pop in and offer his opinion.

I only sold it because I was in need of cash. I didn't want to get rid of it, but I know it went to a great home.

SJ78
01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I heard in the late 70's Beretta sold some of their machines , to Taurus .
I'am not sure if they still use them on them nowdays . Just my opinion i think Beretta makes the better pistol . You can tell right away the 92fs has a much higher quality finish .

BlackonBlack
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Normally I'm not the kind of guy that likes to get a cheap version of something because usually they depreciate more. But in this case the Taurus is not a COPY it's literally made in the same place on the same machines. I have wanted a Beretta 92 for a while and I was offered a Taurus by a friend and it seems like an at least-as-good Beretta-esque clone. Am I wrong?

BlackonBlack
01-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I heard in the late 70's Beretta sold some of their machines , to Taurus .
I'am not sure if they still use them on them nowdays . Just my opinion i think Beretta makes the better pistol . You can tell right away the 92fs has a much higher quality finish .

I've been reading online from what I gather here's what happened. Beretta landed a contract with Brazilian armed forces for their pistols. Part of the contract was that beretta had to use brazilian labor and have some of them made in brazil. So they made a plant in San Paulo and produced them successfully. After the contract term expired and the patent on the Beretta 92 ran out, Taurus an emerging gun company, bought the factory lock stock and barrel. Including the machines material, everything. They began to produce a similar gun after they already had skilled workers from when they produced Berettas.Some even say the Taurus are better since they were produced after the Beretta's were made and adopted some innovations.

BlackonBlack
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Don't get me wrong I hate the cheesy pimped out Taurus with silver and gold.

http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20263-1.jpg

drunktank
01-09-2010, 8:51 AM
There's 4 of these in my family with thousands of rounds and zero ftf/fte's. Nice guns. These were made in early 90s if it matters though.

JTROKS
01-09-2010, 9:05 AM
I had a 92AF, although it bares a similar resemblance to the Beretta 92F the frame mounted safety/decocker is obvious. Magazines aren't interchangeable and the grips on the Beretta makes it more ergonomic with a way better feel on the grip. Trigger on the Taurus is rough compared to the Beretta. With the specimen I had the Beretta shot better in terms of accuracy. I have to admit the Taurus was just as reliable as the Beretta.

Schlamoo
01-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I've had two Taurus PT-99's in the past and a couple of revolvers. They are good firearms that lacked the quality finish of a Beretta but performed as well. In fact the second PT-99 I had was damaged when I was shooting a bunch of misc 9mm someone gave me. One of the rounds was a very hot sub-machine gun round. (A good reason to know where your ammo comes from.) It jammed the slide back so hard during recoil to the point I couldn't get it to go forward. I called Taurus sent it in and thier lifetime warranty covered the repair of the gun, no questions asked. That kind of service made me a big fan. I like the frame mounted safety better on the Taurus but only have Berettas now as the magazines don't interchange and I have alot of hi-caps. Bottom line if you can get the gun for a good price ($300-350) buy it. It should work well for you.

Turbinator
01-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Magazines aren't interchangeable

Not really true - the Taurus mags use a larger catch hole. These mags will fit and work in a Beretta or a Taurus.

Beretta mags use a slimmer catch hole, these mags will not work in a Taurus.

Turby

kenjimatic
01-10-2010, 5:14 AM
My brother in law has a PT92 and it shoots well(I've personally put about 300 rounds thru it) and my cousin has an Beretta 92 inox. I never shot my cousin's inox but I have handled it and I like the feel of the beretta more, seems to be a little slimmer.

JTROKS
01-10-2010, 6:37 AM
Not really true - the Taurus mags use a larger catch hole. These mags will fit and work in a Beretta or a Taurus.

Beretta mags use a slimmer catch hole, these mags will not work in a Taurus.

Turby

Thanks for the info. Back in the days I had the Beretta 92 and the Taurus 92AF I had quite a few hi caps for both and the price was very reasonable as a gunshop employee. I don't have the Beretta nor the Taurus anymore, but I'm still running into hi cap mags that were stored in boxes many years ago. I may just test them out and give me a reason to buy a couple of more guns. :D

oghl888
01-10-2010, 6:39 AM
My first purchase way back included a PT92. I still have it after all these years. It shot well and is as accurate as my Sig226's/G17's/CZ's (all consider service grade full size 9mm). It's perhaps the most comfortable shooting 9mm I have.

The Beretta's I have shot are a bit more ergonomic in the grip (not the safety as has been mentioned), and it operates a bit more smoothly (trigger DA, slide movement). The advantages vs. disadvantages in my eyes are a wash. I don't regret having the PT92 at all and in fact have been tempted to buy a second copy in various times.

If you are looking for a reliable, serviceable full size 9mm, the Taurus will serve you well. If you want a smoother operating gun, and don't mind the awkward safety, the Beretta is better. Cost wise, the difference is less than a case of 9mm ammo. That is not enough to sway me from one gun to the other.

zoid52
01-10-2010, 6:47 AM
It is a very comfortable gun to shoot.

vhram
01-10-2010, 7:28 AM
All you have to do on the beretta mags is open up the catch hole on one side and they work fine in the taurus. I have 5 beretta mags I use this way in my pt99.

gunrun45
01-10-2010, 7:35 AM
I have both. My Taurus is an older 92 version that I think I bought way back in 1993 or so. I have put maybe 10 - 15,000 rounds through it with one locking block replacement (beretta updated part) and an upgraded Wilson (now Wolf) drop in trigger conversion about 6 years ago. I give my beretta's the same treatment with the same results.

The Taurus is a little rougher around the edges, but those problems are easily fixed by swapping about $20 in springs. The Taurus safety on my older one digs into the webbing of my right hand after a bit, but I could easily fix that with a round file if I really wanted to.

Beretta mags are usable with a little modifying, but stick with either taurus factory or beretta factory mags. The only issues I have ever encountered come from cheap mags I bought back in the mid 90's.

Turbinator
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
If anyone tries to modify a Beretta mag to fit a Taurus, just go slowly and take your time. Study how the mag catch hole works and realize that if you take away too much material in the wrong direction, the mag won't sit properly in the mag well and thus you will have feeding issues.

Turby