PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on a mining claim

Pofoo
01-08-2010, 7:09 PM
Basic question is--if someone stakes out a mining claim in a legal blm shooting area, can I still shoot there?
Now, the long story. Near Yosemite, on blm land, there is a small flat turnaroud at the end of a dirt road. The miners have set up a small permanent camp site with a pot bellied stove and a few chairs and tables. They have posted "no mining" signs. This is a area that has been used for target shooting for years. They HAVE cleaned up the area alot. Picked up all the bottles, cans, old tv sets, etc. They even picked up all the old brass.
So, can they keep me out?
I'm thinking that if they're not there, which is most of the time, I'm ok, but if they are there, then this is a inhabited camp site and I cannot shoot within 150? yds.
Pisses me off that they may be trying to limit my access to blm land that I have used for years.
Any ideas?

SoCal_Shooter
01-08-2010, 7:19 PM
They are miners but posted "no mining" signs? What are they doing there?

bodger
01-08-2010, 7:28 PM
Smell any ether when you were there last??

franklinarmory
01-08-2010, 7:51 PM
Yes you can use your BLM lands! I live next to the 75,000 acre Clear Creek Recreation Area run by the BLM. All the miners can do is keep you from digging or picking up rocks on their claim. Feel free to walk through, however, you bring up a great point about the camp site. I would suggest that, if someone is camping right there at that time, you need to move on to somewhere else.

yoteassasin
01-08-2010, 8:01 PM
WHAT!!!!! you are joking right.... the campsite classification is true but all they can legally do is to keep you from harvesting minerals on the claim when they are not there also if the road is not a through road and dead ends in to their claim i believe legally they can gate the road from vehicle travel but be careful and mind your P's and Q's it is a touchy subject in the mountains

GrizzlyGuy
01-09-2010, 7:03 AM
The mining claim has no impact on whether you can shoot or not. The BLM regulations would apply, just as if there is no claim.

Deamer
01-09-2010, 7:52 AM
Beekeeper set up their hives right in the shooting area on the BLM land by my house. It was a popular spot so I would not be surprised if it pissed off the shooters and they shot the hives. Our group found a spot a mile away that was even better.

choprzrul
01-09-2010, 8:21 AM
Remember that a mining claim gives the holder complete rights to ALL of the minerals on the property. If you are disturbing said minerals against the wishes of the claim holders, there is an outside chance of having problems. Keep in mind that shooting will most likely come in contact with their minerals and could easily split rocks.

Don't get me wrong here, I am in favor of being able to shoot on public land. I am just playing devil's advocate to help you steer clear of any bumps in the road.

SkatinJJ
01-09-2010, 8:27 AM
They could be making a fortune mining lead.;)

Pofoo
01-09-2010, 3:23 PM

The signs are for everyone else except the claim holders.
It appears that they just come up for a weekend now and then.

I think the camp, if occupied, is a problem for shooters. But, if they're not there, I'll continue to shoot. As I said, they are intruding on a fairly popular shooting area.
I'll have to check with the blm people and see what they have to say.

They HAVE made some improvements, which are required of them inorder to keep their claim.

JDay
01-09-2010, 7:16 PM
They could be making a fortune mining lead.;)

There's more money in brass.

nitrofc
01-09-2010, 8:23 PM
I own some Mining Claims in Downieville, Ca on the North Fork Yuba River.

If the claim is a Patented Mining Claim...they not only hold exclusive title to the locatable minerals....but they also own the land.

If it's an un-Patented claim, then they only hold the rights to extract the minerals.

If they have a "No Mining" sign posted on the claim, there should be a CAMC number posted on the sign. Get the number and then do a quick search on the BLM Geo-Communicator website to find out the claim owners name and details about ownership.

Click here: http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND
Then click "Record Search" in upper right hand corner of page,
Then click "Mining Claim Active" in the search box,
Then enter the CAMC number in the "Serial Number" search box.

Hope that helps.

stan
01-09-2010, 9:03 PM
am i the only person totally clueless about mining claims? in present day california? lol

choprzrul
01-10-2010, 7:59 AM
am i the only person totally clueless about mining claims? in present day california? lol

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/faqmc.html

Pofoo
01-10-2010, 5:17 PM
I own some Mining Claims in Downieville, Ca on the North Fork Yuba River.

If the claim is a Patented Mining Claim...they not only hold exclusive title to the locatable minerals....but they also own the land.

If it's an un-Patented claim, then they only hold the rights to extract the minerals.

If they have a "No Mining" sign posted on the claim, there should be a CAMC number posted on the sign. Get the number and then do a quick search on the BLM Geo-Communicator website to find out the claim owners name and details about ownership.

Click here: http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND
Then click "Record Search" in upper right hand corner of page,
Then click "Mining Claim Active" in the search box,
Then enter the CAMC number in the "Serial Number" search box.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I knew there was someone out there who knew the facts.
I believe this is blm or national forest land, so it is probably un-patented??

nitrofc
01-10-2010, 6:07 PM
Yes.
Next time your in the area, write down the CAMC on the Posted "NO Mining" sign. That information is required by law and enforced by the California Forestry Department.

Funny thing is, nobody cared about AU until the price shot through the roof and now of a sudden they're running for the hills.
There are a lot of mining claims in CA that have been passed down through the families from the original owner's, some date back to the Gold Rush days from the mid-late 1800's.

That all said, I would still check out the claim status JFYOI.
If you need help...PM me, but I would need that CAMC number posted on the sign.

At least you can print off some copies and take it with you in case somebody there questioned you for making some niose! :83:

Spyder
01-10-2010, 7:57 PM
nitrofc... I've got one up there just seconds above downieville too. We should hook up this spring and get rich!

Spyder
01-10-2010, 7:59 PM
...and to the OP, why not leave a note at their campsite so you can get ahold of them and make friends? It's never a bad thing to have good people around to keep an eye on your stuff when you're not there. They could be good to know!

brandy12
01-10-2010, 8:53 PM
I own several mining claims on BLM property. They can not keep you out unless it is considered a active mining claim. What that means I do not know. A word of advise, talk to them first before shooting. Most people will be cool but if there not leave. Miners are a interesting bunch of people that will shoot you if you give them a reason. Also, just remember miners are ussually in the bottom of valleys or any low spots to find heavy metals. So even if you don't see them you might be shooting at them.

deldgeetar
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes you can use your BLM lands! I live next to the 75,000 acre Clear Creek Recreation Area run by the BLM. All the miners can do is keep you from digging or picking up rocks on their claim. Feel free to walk through, however, you bring up a great point about the camp site. I would suggest that, if someone is camping right there at that time, you need to move on to somewhere else.

Yes, too bad CCMA is closed. However, seems a lot of people posted mining claims and are in there "mining" anyway, despite the so-called "asbestos." I wonder if shooting is still allowed in there?

nitrofc
01-11-2010, 5:43 AM
nitrofc... I've got one up there just seconds above downieville too. We should hook up this spring and get rich!

Sounds good!
Lets pray that Dave Mc and that mess up on the Klamath with that tribe and DFG gets resolved soon.

The Proline with twins ready is ready to burn some fuel....need to get an 8" in there and some good team players.

Are you up river or down river from Downieville?

nitrofc
01-11-2010, 5:47 AM
"just seconds above downieville too".....oooooops!
Answered my own question...haa ha.

Pofoo
01-11-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks all.