PDA

View Full Version : IWB HOLSTER

applevalleyjoe
01-08-2010, 7:30 PM
Well, I finally did it! After weeks of research, comparisons and contrasts, and going through every gun forum that I could think looking at threads and posts in regards to IWB holsters I ordered a CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DXL. It was a pretty tough decision but in the end, I thought that the Crossbreed edged out the Minotaur, Raven's Phantom, and Tucker's The Answer. I might have gone with the Tucker but I thought that it was overpriced although I know that some will always say that you get what you pay for....

The Crossbreed is adjustable for cant; for height; can be factory modified for even greater access to the gun; gives you a choice of cow or horsehide; the clips are interchangeable; tremendous customer acclaim due to its comfort; and they do provide a decent LEO/MIL discount and plainly advertise it.

The only negative that I've come across to speak of is that the leather backside is rough...some say too rough. I've read comments that this is in order to help anchor the holster against your tee-shirt but if you aren't wearing one, it could get a little tough on your skin. The solution appears to be pretty simple...sanding and some sort of leather balm on the surface. The Minotaur, on the other hand, is partially lined and Tucker is fully lined.

Each one of these IWB had a strong following and very enthusiastic supporters. Hopefully one of these days I'll have enough extra cash to buy one or two others so that I can make an effective comparison. Unfortunately, my next buy has to be an OWB! These are all great holsters and you can't really go wrong buying any of them! ;)

Fjold
01-08-2010, 7:36 PM
I have the Crossbreed SuperTuck and wear it next to my skin about 10 hours a day, the roughout has never bothered me.

BigAL
01-08-2010, 7:39 PM
I must really be getting out of the loop, because I haven't heard of any of these holsters. I've been using Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holsters for my glocks and a VersaMax II for my 1911 for years. I think I would prefer a bit rougher outer finish on the VM2, as the 1911 is a heavy gun and still likes to sag somewhat (especially when riding against a shirt), making me have to cinch down my Wilderness 5 stitch belt pretty tight. I've been thinking about getting new nylon for the belt and/or ordering a new one to see if the belt is just worn.

What gun you gonna be carrying?

9mmepiphany
01-08-2010, 8:09 PM
i've at least heard of them but i don't think anyone even suggest that they truly match the Milt Sparks originals the Summer Special or the Versa-Max

QuarterBoreGunner
01-08-2010, 8:25 PM
I'm a M-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95) convert; been carrying a S&W 386 Sc/S and a Glock 30 in them and they're the cat's pajamas. For me they're also the right combo of price and performance.

rgs1975
01-08-2010, 8:43 PM
Congrats on a great holster. I love my Crossbreed MiniTuc and P230 combo.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9653/crossbreed.jpg

RickD6023
01-08-2010, 8:48 PM
I have the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe and feel that you have made an excellent choice. I'm a larger calibre body and the holster fits great and very comfortable. The back of the leather gets smoother the more you wear it but I have never found it to be an issue. I usually wear a t-shirt underneath which does help create a barrier. My opinion - two thumbs up to Crossbreed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

retired
01-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I have the Crossbreed SuperTuck and wear it next to my skin about 10 hours a day, the roughout has never bothered me.

This.^ I have one of Mark's early Supertuck (he is the owner/builder of the the holster) holsters and have used it daily for almost 2yrs.

He was a sponsor on http://xdtalk.com initially, then became a mod and is now the owner of the site.

He is a great businessman and has excellent customer service. I had a problem with some of the early clips he used to use and he replaced them for free. He didn't just give me a replacement for the one that broke, he gave me the whole set.

He has since switched to a much stronger one so there shouldn't be any problems. If you want to get in touch with him for any reason, you can go to the forum or just hit up his site.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-09-2010, 9:57 AM
Unfortunately it looks like they don't make the Supertuck for L-frame S&Ws; I'll give them a call to confirm.

applevalleyjoe
01-09-2010, 7:33 PM
I must really be getting out of the loop, because I haven't heard of any of these holsters. I've been using Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holsters for my glocks and a VersaMax II for my 1911 for years. I think I would prefer a bit rougher outer finish on the VM2, as the 1911 is a heavy gun and still likes to sag somewhat (especially when riding against a shirt), making me have to cinch down my Wilderness 5 stitch belt pretty tight. I've been thinking about getting new nylon for the belt and/or ordering a new one to see if the belt is just worn.

What gun you gonna be carrying?

The H&K 45 and/or 40.

Knappy
01-09-2010, 9:26 PM
I have a question about the Crossbreed holster. When you wear it all day, how much does it move around on you? When you are squating down, bending over and other normal movements, does it tend to ride up in your pants or shift positions at all? I currently have an Uncle Mike's IWB holster that doesn't like to stay in place. Of course, I bought it knowing it was a cheap one. It feels really comforteable but I don't like constantly having to adjust it.

retired
01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a question about the Crossbreed holster. When you wear it all day, how much does it move around on you? When you are squating down, bending over and other normal movements, does it tend to ride up in your pants or shift positions at all? I currently have an Uncle Mike's IWB holster that doesn't like to stay in place. Of course, I bought it knowing it was a cheap one. It feels really comforteable but I don't like constantly having to adjust it.

1. It doesn't move around.

2. Nope.

Knappy
01-10-2010, 5:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to get one now.

RickD6023
01-10-2010, 6:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to get one now.

It's a good choice. I can wear mine for 14 hours a day without any discomfort or movement.

sholling
01-10-2010, 7:00 PM
i've at least heard of them but i don't think anyone even suggest that they truly match the Milt Sparks originals the Summer Special or the Versa-Max
Personally I think matching the holster to the pistol and the owner's frame is a lot more important than the brand. I own a couple of Milt Sparks including a VM2 and I find that they carry way too high for my taste. Don't get me wrong, the construction is a work of art, but they carry way too high for my taste.

Crossbreed makes a great low cost yet high quality hybrid leather and kydex line of holsters.

onikage
01-10-2010, 7:22 PM
What was your deciding factor when it came down to the Crossbreed vs. the Minotaur? Was it solely the price?

At first glance the Minotaur seems to have the better feature set, but I would understand if it was above your price point. Currently, I'm also deciding between the two for an XD 45 compact.