PDA

View Full Version : Syncing online orders and Quickbooks.

freakshow10mm
01-08-2010, 6:24 PM
Aimed mostly that those that ship and do mail order/internet sales.

I take orders on the website and enter the receipts into Quickbooks (QB) that I use strictly for sales/bills accounting (ie I don't use QB for bank balances, only income and expenses for tax purposes).

Using QB to keep track of book work, how much information do you keep in QB? My boss at my last job said using QB to keep track of customer info helps in marketing.

Do you just track orders placed and enter the customer information in as the orders/receipts are entered into QB?

My SOP is enter the info down to address, email, phone during order placement. The customers that don't order aren't entered in QB until they order. I have customers segregated by class (LE agency, retail, wholesale) based on order and then customer type is the state they are located.

My old website had a customer list of over 800 people. With the new site only weeks old, I have a chance to start fresh with a customer base on the website and enter how I want into QB. So far I have 83 customers registered. I'm sitting here entering name, email, phone, and customer type, the last two of which are optional at registration but mandatory at order placement.

Here's my issue. Time.

Using the "enter as placed" method I enter a receipt, create the new customer, finish the receipt and done.

With the "enter customers first" method, I enter the data I have in the CSV file (name, email, phone, type/state) in a quick breeze. Then when I enter the receipts, the name will be in the database and prefill on the receipt.

My QB receipts aren't ever sent to the customer as I use the website's forms.

With the "as placed" method, the info gets put in when needed, ie the sale occurs. With the "customer first" method, the customers that don't buy are entered in QB with at least an email address so I can target them for future marketing in order to persuade them to make a purchase.

I'm a one man show doing the bookkeeping too. What do you guys do and what do you think it best? This is one of those "there's gotta be a better way" nights.:(

bigmike82
01-08-2010, 6:41 PM
Other than investing in a system that does everything...

Have you tried importing the customer db into quickbooks?

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Pages/KnowledgeBaseArticle/1005472

freakshow10mm
01-08-2010, 7:24 PM
I'm using a Mac. Doesn't work.

bpetro
01-08-2010, 9:02 PM
I had a couple ideas...

1) Does the shopping cart system that you are using have a Quickbooks module? If it does, you might be able to stop all that data entry really easily and just port all the data over in a single step.

2) If the only piece of info that you are concerned about for non-customers is email address, then you don't really need that in Quickbooks. Quickbooks is not really a marketing tool. There should be a way to mass export email addresses out of your shopping cart system. I would just export a fresh copy of the email database each time you want to do a mailing. You should do the mailing through a 3rd party vendor that is set up to do that. Icontact.com is the vendor that I set up most of my clients with. They track folks who request to be removed from your list and have great stats on bounces/opens/clicks etc. Each time you want to do a mailing, you would export the list from your shopping cart and import it into icontact. Icontact should be able to meld the new list with your existing one pretty seamlessly.

Feel free to give me a ring if you want to talk. In a two way conversation it's likely that we can come up with other new ideas. I'm happy to give you any free advice I have. I may have an email vendor that we could set up on barter instead of you paying cash.

Thanks!

freakshow10mm
01-08-2010, 9:17 PM
1) Don't think so. I'm using Magento. There's various extensions available for lots of stuff but I haven't had the time to look at much and the stuff I was interested in wasn't rated well.

2) QB keeps track of (via the customer list) name, address/city/state/ZIP, phone, email, customer type (by state), and class (wholesale, retail, LE agency). I do this so I can see my best customers and worst customers, whether my wholesale, retail, or LE sales are increasing or decreasing. That's the marketing part I'm talking about. Noticing and being able to segregate clients into groups based on criteria specified so I can understand who my clientele is, what they are buying, and how profitable they are based on state or purpose (dealer, retail, LE agency).

2.1) I have an iPhone for my business line and have QB set up to sync my customer list with my contacts in the Mac address book program as well as sync that content onto my iPhone so I always have my customer database with me, essentially. It's helped me when I'm away from my office, get a PM here, which triggers an email to my phone alerting me of the PM. I can read the PM content in the email, check the customer list in contacts, call or email to handle the situation in about three clicks on my iPhone.

bpetro
01-08-2010, 9:24 PM
Wow. Your iphone setup sounds really slick. I definitely wouldn't mess with that. It sounds to me like you should look at magento/quickbooks integration. I would rather stab my eyes out then do all that data entry. Here's the good news: I just googled "magento quickbooks" and it came up with a bunch of hits. There are definitely people who have figured out how to suck your magento data into quickbooks automatically.

On a separate but related issue, are you emailing your list? I'd definitely recommend it if you aren't now. It's cheap and effective.

Check it out and let me know if I can be of assistance.

freakshow10mm
01-09-2010, 8:24 AM
I'll have to look into that. Trouble is I've been so busy I haven't had time to look into much. Magento is a pretty powerful setup and I'm just trying to learn to exploit its benefits.

I was thinking of getting in touch with the high school and getting a co-op person in here for minimum wage to just to data entry. They can sit there and sync the customer list and receipts manually. I get stuff done, sure it costs money, but I give a young adult valuable life skills that can make them excel in the future and benefit society.