PDA

View Full Version : Help me with the 1 in 30 rule

Artery
01-08-2010, 4:31 PM
I know that the 1 in 30 rule doesn't apply to ppts, but if I have bought a handgun in the last 30 days (actually about 55 minutes ago) can I go out and do a ppt still (as the buyer)?

yes I've tried searching but i dont really know how to phrase my question for the search, any help would be appreciated.

Hopi
01-08-2010, 4:33 PM
Yes. Consignments are also exempt.

Vin496
01-08-2010, 4:34 PM
Yes you can PPT. As you stated the 1/30 rule has no affect on PPTs.

There are a few exemptions, in L.A. you can only PPT 1 gun every 30 days. This is easily circumvented by driving outside L.A. to any neighboring city.

IrishPirate
01-08-2010, 4:35 PM
yup, you're good to go with consignmet and other PPT guns. There's no limit to the number of those you can buy in a particular period of time.. if you get a C&R FFL and a COE you're exempt from the 1 in 30 rule for new handguns too.

Artery
01-08-2010, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, only on CG can I get two great answers in three minutes!

I was just worried that the "exemption" just meant you could do multiple guns through a ppt at once. The CADOJ faq is really poorly written and I didn't go to law school so interpreting the PC is difficult...

Cokebottle
01-08-2010, 5:36 PM
It's not "poorly written"... it's "intentionally ambiguous" to make you think that 1-30 applies to all transfers just so you won't.

five.five-six
01-08-2010, 5:53 PM
Yes you can PPT. As you stated the 1/30 rule has no affect on PPTs.

There are a few exemptions, in L.A. you can only PPT 1 gun every 30 days. This is easily circumvented complied with by driving outside L.A. to any neighboring city.

FTFY, think about how you say things IRL

juicemansam
01-08-2010, 7:37 PM
There is also something about purchases within 5 days. I was inquiring a similar question at a gun shop and was told that I could buy both a 1-in-30 gun and a consignment gun, but that if it was within 5 days, he would have to add me to government "watch list." I don't know if it applies to just purchases from the same dealer (as in the person is obligated to), or if it's part of the electronic system. Maybe he was just messing with me, but I never looked into it, 'cause I usually have to save up for a purchase anyways.

Cokebottle
01-08-2010, 7:41 PM
if it was within 5 days, he would have to add me to government "watch list."
That's just FUD... he doesn't want to do PPT because he only makes $10 on them.

You can buy as many guns and as often as you can afford.

ke6guj
01-08-2010, 7:55 PM
That's just FUD... he doesn't want to do PPT because he only makes $10 on them.

You can buy as many guns and as often as you can afford.

Its not FUD. If a non-licensee buys 2 or more handguns from a dealer within a 5 day period, the dealer must report the purchase to ATF and local law enforcement. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

ATF has been known to contact the FFL and/or the purchaser to make sure that the purchaser isn't acting as an unlicensed dealer.

littlejake
01-08-2010, 7:56 PM
Yes. Consignments are also exempt.

Consignments are in essence a PPT. That's why a dealer can take an off-roster handgun on consignment and sell it.

louscamaro91
01-08-2010, 8:59 PM
Or get a wife and you can get TWO new a month

ke6guj
01-08-2010, 9:54 PM
C&R+COE would be cheaper :D

louscamaro91
01-08-2010, 9:59 PM
True it would be cheaper but think of how lonely you and your guns would be

Mikeinblack
01-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Did it tonight at Turners! Went in to meet a Calgunner to do a transfer on a Smith 629, and while I was there, ran into a guy that was looking to dump a visibly perfect Springfield Mil Spec with beaver, mag well, and trigger Mods plus extra mags and upgraded grips for what ended up being less than $450 after Dros... Both get out of gun jail on the same day...

raymartrading
02-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello CGs,

On Tuesday, I will be paying FFL/DROS fees on a gun purchased from out of state. I understand that this is a "store purchase", and I will have to wait 30 days. However, can I do a PPT purchase during this thirty days?

Does this make sense? :confused:

raymartrading

ke6guj
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Hello CGs,

On Tuesday, I will be paying FFL/DROS fees on a gun purchased from out of state. I understand that this is a "store purchase", and I will have to wait 30 days. However, can I do a PPT purchase during this thirty days?

raymartrading

already answered, Yes you can PPT. As you stated the 1/30 rule has no affect on PPTs.

yup, you're good to go with consignmet and other PPT guns. There's no limit to the number of those you can buy in a particular period of time..

Cokebottle
02-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Hello CGs,

The FFL transfer from out of state would indeed be considered a "dealer inventory" purchase and subject to the 1-30, since the FFL receives it into inventory and then DROS's it to you. Confirming this is that it must be on-roster (whether from inside or outside of CA), and PPT/FTF transfers are roster-exempt.

The good news for you is that the 1-30 only applies to guns from dealer stock (including FFL transfers other than FTF/PPT or consignments).
FTF/PPT and consignment guns are exempt from the 1-30, on both sides of the equation... Executing a FTF/PPT today does not prevent you from beginning DROS on a store purchase next week, and a store purchase today does not prevent you from beginning DROS on a FTF/PPT next week.

raymartrading
02-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the help. A shout out to all for the good information received.