PDA

View Full Version : your opinion of EOTech 512 scope (on Ar15)

glock_this
12-17-2005, 12:50 PM
So, I am looking alot at these EOTech 512 scopes. what do you think. have you uses them. seem popular, but have not really sen reviews of them and of them on an AR15.

colossians323
12-17-2005, 1:12 PM
So, I am looking alot at these EOTech 512 scopes. what do you think. have you uses them. seem popular, but have not really sen reviews of them and of them on an AR15.

Suhweet, very quick acquisition of targets, as the ar has very light recoil, and you can repeatedly hit whast your shooting at easily shot after shot.

glock_this
12-17-2005, 1:26 PM
any 'quirks' one would want to know about it that you learned about it after actually buying and using it?

glock_this
12-17-2005, 1:31 PM
BTW, I was thinking of getting this 512 and mounting it on an RRA Tactical upper seen here http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/uentry.gif BUT, do you HAVE to use their special EOTech Dominator mount? or can you put it on the tactical carry handle seen in the image?

82a1
12-17-2005, 1:34 PM
Not sure about the EOTech 512, but I use an EOTech 552 on both my SU-16CA and Benelli M4. (I think the difference between the two optics is the fact that the 552 is night vision compatible) Very easy to hit targets with an EOTech, but I just wish it had more magnification.
Once I hopefully get a non-neutered AR, I'll probably mount another EOTech or an ACOG.

Pulsar
12-17-2005, 2:23 PM
I just put a 511 on my FAL, the 511 is only different in that it uses N batteries instead of AAA's like the 512. I talked to a buddy of mine who was in the marines and posted in Iraq, he had one for his AR and one for his SAW, he said he stuck with the N batteries cause the AAA's were heavy enough that after a couple thousands rounds of recoil they would destroy the contact springs for the batteries. Not really an issue for us target shooters, but something to keep in mind, and also the 511 is about an inch shorter than the 512 because of the different batteries. Also keep in mind that those batteries last a really long time, your probably only gonna need to change em maybe once a year, you can probably get away with every two years. Is it really worth it to spend an extra $30 just to save a couple bucks every few years.

They are really great sights, make for very fast target acquisition, as you don't have to get your eye into position to line up the sight with the gun, whereever that dot is one, is where the bullet is going. They seem really well made, everything is made of aluminum, I don't think there is plastic anywhere on it.

Gunner1
12-17-2005, 2:54 PM
The department that I work for uses the 552 on a flat top Colt. Very nice for cqb work. I have to admit that until the last carbine class that I attended I was not a big fan of the EO sight. I was a die hard Aimpoint user. But after using both sights out to 300 yards side by side I do think the Eotech 1moa dot is much more condusive to long range accuracy. The 4 moa dot is just too large for shooting past 200 in my opinion.
As far as battery life goes, I cannot comment on the Eo but my aimpoint ML2 is on its first battery still and it get ALOT of use compared to most civilian users will ever use. (8+hrs a week in practice and callout duty)

Either will suit you fine,

Gunner

Mute
12-17-2005, 3:22 PM
It's an excellent optic. Very fast for in close. The Dominator or any other raised mount is only needed if you find the front sight post too distracting. Otherwise you can do just fine without it. Also, if you mount directly to your flat top rail (not on the removable handle), you can use the Eotech with the Aimpoint 3x magnifier to extend the effective range of your optic. Just some food for thought.

glock_this
12-17-2005, 4:50 PM
I just put a 511 on my FAL, the 511 is only different in that it uses N batteries instead of AAA's like the 512. I talked to a buddy of mine who was in the marines and posted in Iraq, he had one for his AR and one for his SAW, he said he stuck with the N batteries cause the AAA's were heavy enough that after a couple thousands rounds of recoil they would destroy the contact springs for the batteries. Not really an issue for us target shooters, but something to keep in mind, and also the 511 is about an inch shorter than the 512 because of the different batteries. Also keep in mind that those batteries last a really long time, your probably only gonna need to change em maybe once a year, you can probably get away with every two years. Is it really worth it to spend an extra $30 just to save a couple bucks every few years.

They are really great sights, make for very fast target acquisition, as you don't have to get your eye into position to line up the sight with the gun, whereever that dot is one, is where the bullet is going. They seem really well made, everything is made of aluminum, I don't think there is plastic anywhere on it.

great stuff!!!!! this is exactly what I was looking for. some real world feedback. I was thinking of the 512, but your logic has me rethinking the 511.

BigAL
12-17-2005, 5:32 PM
Take a look at an aimpoint M2 or M3 series also. Similar to the EO tech but the dot is a lot simpler. The M3 series also ofers a 2MOA dot if you want a little extra precision, but the 4MOA fits my purposes fine.

here is a not so good photo through my Aimpoint ML2.
http://members.cox.net/abussard/IMG_0083.JPG

Pablo
12-17-2005, 5:56 PM
+1 on the "N battery" models...
I sold my "551" for the much smaller "552" it just fits perfect on my Scout! http://www.hunt101.com/img/355389.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=355389&c=500&z=1)

glock_this
12-17-2005, 6:35 PM
shouldn't that dot be floating right above the front site :) seems off to the left?

glock_this
12-17-2005, 6:45 PM
I have also read one of the benefits if the 512 with AA batteries is that the 1 second lag time between adjusting brightness is gone and operates longer at lower temps.

BigAL
12-17-2005, 6:51 PM
The dot co-witnesses fine. It was just shot at an odd camera angle. The other thing the aimpoint has is the brightness is adjusted using a rotating dial, so it gives a tactile feel for when it's on, unlike the button adjustment on EOTech. There is no lag time on brightness adjustment either.

glock_this
12-17-2005, 7:24 PM
The dot co-witnesses fine. It was just shot at an odd camera angle.

I was just kiddin about that.

Anyway, I found a pretty good - 1 year old, so likey E revision - but comprehensive law enforcement review of the EOTechs here http://www.commtechreview.net/firearms/eotech.htm It is for the 552 - which is only different becuase of the night vision abilty than say the 511 or 512 I like - so it still really holds true otherwise. They give it high praises,and they do not review the better F revision, as do like 99.9% of the other posts I have seen elsewhere.

capitol
12-17-2005, 7:41 PM
I have and use both the EOTech and Aimpoint M2. My M2 rides on my Socom and I love it. The single dot is so simple, but they say the 65 moa circle in the EOTech helps focus the eye to the dot. I use my EOtech on my slug gun :)
From what Ive been told and seen the military in Iraq use mostly Aimpoint. When watching Best of the West all the SWAT guys use EOTechs.

Mute
12-17-2005, 7:42 PM
There's been more than enough rough usage of 512 and 552s in the field that I think the ruggedness is not an issue. It's really your own preference as to whether you prefer the longer battery life at the expense of size and weight.

FYI, in AA you can get lithium batteries which, I believe, gives you 1000 hrs. on the brightest setting. Some have found that Energizer AA Lithiums seem to give the longest life.

If you're patient, you can often find used Rev. F 512s over at the AR15.com equipment exchange for under $300. I got a used one that was LNIB for $275.