PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Handguns

ugimports
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
When doing dealer to dealer shipments of handguns do we HAVE to use Next Day service? Whenever I order from distributors they are using 2nd Day (unless I request otherwise) and everything seems smooth.

I read the policies of both FedEx and UPS and both say it must be Next Day.

I am going to ship an item for a customer to an FFL and don't want them to get reemed on next day pricing if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

paul0660
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
FFL to FFL can go USPS slow boat. You have to fill out a form.

Form 1508 to be exact.

freakshow10mm
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
UPS will allow 2nd day air for handguns. They don't post it on their site though.

ugimports
01-08-2010, 1:08 PM
FFL to FFL can go USPS slow boat. You have to fill out a form.

Form 1508 to be exact.

Does form 1508 go inside the package or do I present that when going to the post office?

paul0660
01-08-2010, 1:17 PM
file it with the local post office, according to http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

jksupplyco
01-08-2010, 1:37 PM
USPS.

Fill out the 1508, present it to the Postmaster. I always take a copy of my FFL, and your CFD sheet from the DOJ. If you are shipping within Ca, USPS often gets there faster than UPS or FedEx, and theft of mail is a Federal Crime! Its the only way to go for Dealer to Dealer Firearms.

ugimports
01-08-2010, 1:39 PM
USPS.

Fill out the 1508, present it to the Postmaster. I always take a copy of my FFL, and your CFD sheet from the DOJ. If you are shipping within Ca, USPS often gets there faster than UPS or FedEx, and theft of mail is a Federal Crime! Its the only way to go for Dealer to Dealer Firearms.

I'll have to start doing this going forward.

Thanks,

kemasa
01-08-2010, 3:35 PM
Often, firearms will fit in the flat rate box. You need to check to see if the flat rate box is cheaper or more expensive than the other priority mail boxes (depends on weight and distance). You can also ship it first class, but priority is often around the same price.

Also, if you ship an expensive firearm, registered mail can end up cheaper since the insurance cost is lower, but you have to use paper tape to package it.

rbetts
01-11-2010, 8:30 AM
Be prepared to educate your post office on the procedure. They may not know and always bring the container open. The must/should be checking to see that the handgun is not loaded. I always go registered and it is still way cheaper than UPS/Fedex. Prefill out your paperwork and you'l be in and out in a jiffy.