PDA

View Full Version : CA Law prohibiting importation, sale, or possession of FA FCG parts?

SP1200
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
In reference to this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3607498#post3607498

I was under the impression when I lived in CA that it was a state felony to have any FA FCG part installed or not. Does anyone have the PC for this?

bwiese
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I'd not do it (underlined emphases below are supplied by me)

12200 PC The term "machinegun" as used in this chapter means any weapon
which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically
more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The
term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed
and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended,
for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from
which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under
the control of a person. The term also includes any weapon deemed by the federal
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms as readily convertible to a machinegun under
Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.

Looks to me like the key FCG parts smell quite bad. $$$$$ of lawyering and you might have some minor wiggle room. The selector switch & disco/sear would be the worst offender. Hammer & trigger alone might be slightly more defendable but certainly not worth it, and the worry could vary with rifle type/architecture.

This also clearly creates CA-level [i.e., in addition to Federal level] 'constructive possession' for a collection of parts that could get into MG status. I'm not even sure that they'd even worry that the receiver had to have "happy holes" drilled in it if the other parts were hanging around.

IMHO, anyone buying 'parts kits' from a vendor should place the order in writing and insist, in writing, that fire control parts (and the usual single hicap magazine accompanying most kits) are removed from the kit prior to shipment.

There's no need for these parts anyway since on AKs, FALs, etc. you replace 'em with US semiauto parts for 922(r) / 27 CFR 478.39 'domestic rifle compliance'. And on ARs you're buying regular US semiauto parts anyway.

SP1200
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks! That's what I was saying, but people were still saying "just destroy the parts" but the possession starts when the package lands on your door step!

SP1200
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Thank Bill.

Sniper3142
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, the general rule is to avoid FA FCG (Fire Control Group) parts.

FA BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) parts however are fine.