PDA

View Full Version : 10News Story T Jefferson Parker Anti Gun Novel

lumwilliam
01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Anybody see the story in tonight's evening news on the new novel "Iron River" by Sam Diego author T. Jefferson Parker? It's about us evil americans supplying all the arms for the Mexican drug wars:

http://www.10news.com/news/22178915/detail.html

Local Author's Novel Puts Focus On Cartel Guns
Guns From U.S. To Mexico Is Subject Of T. Jefferson Parker Book

SAN DIEGO -- A best-selling novelist from San Diego County is taking on the issue of guns traveling from the U.S. to Mexico where they are used by drug cartels, 10News reported.

T. Jefferson Parker's new novel, out this week, is fiction but based on a grim reality.

Parker has written 17 novels, has won several awards and has been on best-seller lists. He enjoys the Southern California lifestyle at his Fallbrook home, but he became increasingly concerned hearing about the drug violence in Mexico.

"These are all murders by gun. Where are they getting the guns? You can't buy them in Mexico. You can't go to a store and buy a gun," said Parker.

Parker said he found most of the guns used by Mexican drug cartels -- some say 90 percent -- come from the U.S. along what is called the Iron River, running from San Diego to Corpus Christi, Texas. "Iron River" is the title of Parker's newest novel.

"Our countries are in this together, and I think their problem is our problem and I don't know more people don't look at it that way," said Parker.

10News has reported on the flow of guns into Mexico, and in a previous report, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms special agent in charge Shawn Hoben summed it up for 10News anchor Kimberly Hunt: "Drugs go north. Guns and money go south."

Parker said he has great respect for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and its agents, but they have their hands full. He thinks his novel may open some eyes nationally.

"That would be my fond wish, that people would read this book and their eyes would be open a little bit and they would say maybe we can do something about this … at least write our congressman," said Parker.

Parker said he's always been an outdoorsman and respects the Second Amendment.

"I don't think we should collect and destroy all guns or stop making guns, but I think the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms does not cover the right to sell arms to cartel people. It doesn't work that way," said Parker.

An estimated 7,600 people were killed last year in drug-related violence in Mexico, and Parker said something needs to be done.

Parker, a former newspaper reporter, said Californians and westerners seem to know about the problem but people in other parts of the country either don't know about it or try to deny it.

"Iron River" is in bookstores this week.

nick
01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
By the same logic, you can't buy a gun in the US if you're a felon. How's that working out?

ZombieTactics
01-08-2010, 7:20 AM
excerpt from the author's website (I added boldface):
This time around, Hood is running the California-Mexico border with the ATF, searching for the iron river – the massive and illegal flow of handguns and automatic weapons that fuels the bloody cartel wars south of the border. Gunrunners by nature aren’t exactly ethical, but the lengths they’ll go to, and the innocent lives they’ll risk, are shocking even to Hood.

Note the sensationalist tone of the text. Has anyone documented a "massive" flow of handguns and automatic weapons from the U.S. to Mexico? Is it the the guns which fuel these wars ... as though the weapons are the cause? Isn't it rather the case that drugs/money fuel these wars.

Sloppy, melodramatic drivel at best.

Hopi
01-08-2010, 7:28 AM
excerpt from the author's website (I added boldface):

Note the sensationalist tone of the text. Has anyone documented a "massive" flow of handguns and automatic weapons from the U.S. to Mexico? Is the the guns which fuel these wars ... as though the weapons are the cause? Isn't it rather the case that drugs/money fuel these wars.

Sloppy, melodramatic drivel at best.

No, it's prohibition that fuels these wars.

not-fishing
01-08-2010, 7:47 AM
Never heard of T. Jefferson Parker.

I'm not going to buy any of his books.

He sounds like the kooks I used to have to deal with at UC Berkeley Free Angela!!--well she is free and a professor at UC Santa Cruz

Werewolf1021
01-08-2010, 7:51 AM
"You cant buy guns in Mexico."

HAH! That's a laugh. The freaking government auctions off all of the confiscated firearms and the drug cartels buy them back. Or they buy them off the corrupt/poor soldiers who just claim they "lost" their weapon. I knew a guy who lived in Mexico who said with $50 USD and about an hour of time you could easily get and fully automatic AK-47.

ipser
01-08-2010, 7:54 AM
Who's up for writing a pro-RKBA novel?

vantec08
01-08-2010, 7:58 AM
yes werewolf . . . . I know a guy that bought an off-the-boat-real-AK47 for less than 500 in mexico.

GrizzlyGuy
01-08-2010, 8:04 AM
Who's up for writing a pro-RKBA novel?

No need, Matthew Bracken did a fantastic job with his trilogy (http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/book.htm). The second of the two (Domestic Enemies - The Reconquista) is about a similar subject, but takes an entirely different view.

Bracken had to self-publish his novels since they were deemed too controversial by the traditional publishing houses. Apparently T. Jefferson Parker had no similar issue with his. :rolleyes:

schnellfeuer300
01-08-2010, 8:47 AM
If "T" stands for "Thomas," the real TJ is spinning in his grave.

shooting4life
01-08-2010, 8:55 AM
This time around, Hood is running the California-Mexico border with the ATF, searching for the iron river – the massive and illegal flow of handguns and automatic weapons that fuels the bloody cartel wars south of the border. Gunrunners by nature aren’t exactly ethical, but the lengths they’ll go to, and the innocent lives they’ll risk, are shocking even to Hood.

So it is illegal already, nothing more to see here, move along, move along

ipser
01-08-2010, 8:56 AM
No need, Matthew Bracken did a fantastic job with his trilogy (http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/book.htm). The second of the two (Domestic Enemies - The Reconquista) is about a similar subject, but takes an entirely different view.

Nice, but at first glance (judging from the proverbial covers) these would probably appeal most to those who already love guns and freedom. I was thinking about something that would appeal to "soccer moms".

There are, actually, many pro-gun storylines and some even make it into film. One movie that made a big impression on me was Marathon Man, in spite of the hollywood ending.

GrizzlyGuy
01-08-2010, 9:16 AM
Nice, but at first glance (judging from the proverbial covers) these would probably appeal most to those who already love guns and freedom. I was thinking about something that would appeal to "soccer moms".

Ahhhh... Yeah, do not, I repeat DO NOT hand those books to soccer moms who are leaning the other way. You'll have to write a new novel for them.

But if they're leaning our way, good to go, the hero in the first two is actually a heroine. ;)

GoodEyeSniper
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
wow, reading his comments on it is almost IDENTICAL to what the scumbags in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged spew on a constant basis. Just not about weapons in particular... Kind of funny to me.

Corbin Dallas
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Last time I checked cocaine, mj, heroin and a host of other drugs were illegal in Mexico. Glad to see where the priorities stand down there.

Hopi
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Last time I checked cocaine, mj, heroin and a host of other drugs were illegal in Mexico. Glad to see where the priorities stand down there.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN28349522

lumwilliam
01-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Parker gets even worse in an interview he gave to the OC Register:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/parker-228313-says-guns.html

He finishes the article claiming to be a shooter who frequents San Diego Gun Shops. If he stepped into El Cajon Gun Exchange, I have to believe his scalp would still be hanging on the wall! Then he goes on to complain about people buying large quantities of bullets:

As the story took shape, Parker traveled south, visiting gun stores along the border. It was familiar territory.

"I come from a gun family," Parker says, describing how family home, in Tustin, included a gun room with rifles and ammunition.

"I still trap shoot. I have a trailer out in the desert with a bunch of other gun nuts."

Most of the shops he visited were of the mom and pop variety, and most operated within the law.

"And that's what's really hard," he says. "It's a legal business. And if you play according to the rules, you should be able to do it. But the fact is, it's pretty easy, in some states, to get around the rules."

Parker says he reached an epiphany while trying to figure out how one of his characters could get 50,000 rounds of. 32-caliber Automatic Colt Pistol ammunition. He called a friend, a former police officer in San Diego, and asked what kind of crime it would be for a private citizen to own so many bullets.

None, he learned. It's legal. (Well, it was; the law since has been changed.)

And Parker's ATF buddy referred him to an online dealer who could hook him up.

Though the dealer didn't have 50,000 rounds in stock, Parker did get a quote roughly $19,000 and was told he could use his credit card to get it shipped to his door.

Though Parker still supports gun rights, he said researching "Iron River" and learning how gun violence has grown has led him to favor stronger rules about how guns are sold.

"There is a big difference between a constitutional right to bear arms, and selling guns to people who you know are going to take (guns) down to Mexico and sell them to cartel people," Parker says.

"That isn't a constitutional right."

bigcalidave
01-09-2010, 1:03 AM
What the hell is the guy spewing? Write your congressman? Ok "please mr congressman, stop the flow of guns into mexico." Wow, that does as much as gun laws here do already!

At least people should be able to deduce that when he says "buy my book to learn about the flow of guns into mexico and get inspired to call your congressman" that really means, skip the buying the book step, call the congressman, and find out that they don't care.

Money saved!

Roadrunner
01-09-2010, 7:28 AM
Easy solution.

1. Encourage all law abiding Americans to arm themselves.

2. Make every illicit drug available to the morons that want to do them.

3. When drug addicted criminal commits crime to support his/her habit, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

4. Encourage law abiding Americans to defend themselves against violent drug addicts.

I think this solution will end several problems we have with society. You eliminate the incentive to sell drugs on the street by selling them over the counter, you eliminate the morons who commit crimes to maintain their habit, and you make the bad side effects more public, because people will see friends and relatives going to jail or dieing because of drugs. This will discourage intelligent people from using drugs because of the consequences that hit closer to home. End of story.

B Strong
01-09-2010, 7:31 AM
From my perspective.

Last year, I became aquainted with a fairly well-known author, through a common interest in firearms.

The guy collects, shoots a bit, and absolutley knowns almost nothing about firearms past what he'd like to buy.

In his novels, the guy has 10 gauge Ithaca pumps (in the 1940's and 50's) cans on wheelguns, Cheap "Jap" copy "Tommy Guns" (in the 60's) and so on.

He was shocked to learn that cans really don't work very well on wheelguns...

I don't know the author referenced in the op, but most every auther other than John Ross and Stephen Hunter have no idea about anything they write about firearms, other than looking through catalogs and websites, and maybe talking to a LEO (FUD central)

I'm not making any excuses for this Parker cat, but he's only following in an established tradition.

The problem is that some individual reads the stuff and thinks it's the genuine arrticle.

B Strong
01-09-2010, 7:32 AM
Easy solution.

3. When drug addicted criminal commits crime to support his/her habit, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

4. Encourage law abiding Americans to defend themselves against violent drug addicts.

I think this solution will end several problems we have with society. You eliminate the incentive to sell drugs on the street by selling them over the counter, you eliminate the morons who commit crimes to maintain their habit, and you make the bad side effects more public, because people will see friends and relatives going to jail or dieing because of drugs. This will discourage intelligent people from using drugs because of the consequences that hit closer to home. End of story.

I like the way you think.

SkatinJJ
01-09-2010, 7:44 AM
Easy solution.

1. Constitutionally there already, the 2nd.
2. Not prohibited in the Constitution, up to the states, yet a person's personal protection from government intrusion in the 4th should cover their right shoot smack.
3. They still hang horse thieves, don't they?
4. see the 2nd again...a person is obligated to defend themselves and their family.

We need to get back to the Constitution and what it really means. For the namby-pambys who are afraid to keep and bear arms because they are afraid of what they'll do - who cares. there will be a settling in period, then it will smooth out to a politely armed society.