PDA

View Full Version : Carry in Cleveland National forest?

MAD SVT
01-07-2010, 9:58 PM
Would it be ok to carry in Cleveland National forest? Specifically the Holy Jim, Blue Bird, Cocktail rock areas...

I dont plan on using it of course.. I run up there and would prefer not to become dinner for some of the local wildlife..

Anyone?

AndrewMendez
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
MAD, i asked this same question a couple months back for the Angeles Nation Forest, and did not get a solid response. I called sheriff, fish and game, and Angeles Forest Service, all which requested I call another agency.
Are you planning on Open Unloaded Carrying or Concealed? Do you have a CCW?

MAD SVT
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
No CCW.
I'll take it however i can... unloaded & open? fine with me... as long as i can have a loaded mag on me.
Concealed would be more convienant for me so i can just put it inside my hydration belt, loaded or unloaded is fine again.

cmth
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
You can certainly UOC in National Forest land, but you can only LOC if the location where you intend to carry does not prohibit the discharging of firearms. Has the county (Riverside or San Diego) made it unlawful to discharge a firearm there? Has the Forestry Service posted a target shooting closure? Do you possess a valid California hunting permit?

The hunting permit solves a lot of problems, since hunting is almost always allowed in National Forests, even when target shooting is not. Just be sure that whatever game you are hoping to hunt is in season (coyotes are always in season, and no bag limit) and the ammunition you are carrying is legal to use (softnose or expanding projectiles only, no FMJ, and no lead in Condor Zone, but that's not in Cleveland NF). Concealed carry is legal while hunting as well. It is also only legal to hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, but you should be at your campsite during that time, so unloading your firearm may not be necessary.

cineski
01-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Take a look at a 6-7" knife. If something's going to attack you, it'll be from behind, and slamming a mag and cycling a round isn't very conducive if you're being attacked while UOCing. That's not saying don't carry a gun in these areas.

Cokebottle
01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Riverside County portions would be a "no" for loaded carry.

MAD SVT
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
hmmmm... so i was to get a hunting permit for coyotes, then i can concealed carry loaded?

I'll have to check the exact areas of the trails i run and their hunting/discharging firearms limitations.

just FYI, i dont actually plan on shooting a coyote, i've ran into them several times, along with bobcats, rattlesnakes.. scorpions etc. Im only afraid of the Cougars that roam that area.. the yotes just look at me like "wtf you doing running? whatevers chasing you, i want away from also" and they bail.
I have yet to run into a Cougar on my escapades, but i run weekly in Newport beach hills area..... nothing dangerous out there, but i do run the hills off Ortega Hwy also...

MAD SVT
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Take a look at a 6-7" knife. If something's going to attack you, it'll be from behind, and slamming a mag and cycling a round isn't very conducive if you're being attacked while UOCing. That's not saying don't carry a gun in these areas.

I carry a 3 7/8" knife on my camelback strapped to my chest for easy deployment.
I have a holster with a mag slot in it, so its 1 pull 2 items, 1 second.... loaded.
If i get attacked, i'd rather spend 1 second longer and do more to eliminate the threat

besides.... i run with a partner.. theres only a 50% chance I'M the one thats hit LOL!:p

cmth
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
If I ran into a coyote I would most definitely shoot it. They're pests, are overpopulating, and can be quite vicious. Don't forget that female hiker in Canada who was killed by a pack of 'yotes last year. They are not to be underestimated.

MAD SVT
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
If I ran into a coyote I would most definitely shoot it. They're pests, are overpopulating, and can be quite vicious. Don't forget that female hiker in Canada who was killed by a pack of 'yotes last year. They are not to be underestimated.

well im sure they could hurt me if i ran into a pack of them, but everytime i run into them (pun intended) theres 1 MAYBE 2... i could easily kick one to the moon if i needed to, heck, my feet carry me 20-25 miles on these little trips, they sure as heck could handle a 40 lb retarded dog.

anyways... all the more reason to try and get these details worked out.. if i did get attacked by one up there, i would just shoot it (or at least try to in a panic!)

cmth
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
To answer your question, yes, with a hunting permit you can conceal carry loaded if it's legal to hunt there.

Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

AndrewMendez
01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I would try contacting Fish and Game, they probably have the best idea.

MudCamper
01-08-2010, 8:50 AM
Would it be ok to carry in Cleveland National forest? Specifically the Holy Jim, Blue Bird, Cocktail rock areas...

Short answer, yes. Loaded or unloaded vary by location. See this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) for the long answer.

MAD, i asked this same question a couple months back for the Angeles Nation Forest, and did not get a solid response.

Really?! See Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

cineski
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
This length knife will do nothing for you. Get one that's at least 5" long. 6-7 is better. My reason for this is, if you're attacked by a Cougar, it will be from behind. It will be viscous, violent, and will probably knock you silly. Point being, you won't see it coming. If you can fumble with a gun during this, you are better than I ;-). A knife is there to allow you to fight to get your gun. Personally, when I'm on the trail, I won't be there without both of these items. I've only seen tracks (in the SM mountains) and my buddy crossed paths with one. That's funny about running with a partner. My hiking pal and I argue sometimes as to which one gets the back....aka Cougar bait! LoL.

I carry a 3 7/8" knife on my camelback strapped to my chest for easy deployment.
I have a holster with a mag slot in it, so its 1 pull 2 items, 1 second.... loaded.
If i get attacked, i'd rather spend 1 second longer and do more to eliminate the threat

besides.... i run with a partner.. theres only a 50% chance I'M the one thats hit LOL!:p

Rule .308
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
well im sure they could hurt me if i ran into a pack of them, but everytime i run into them (pun intended) theres 1 MAYBE 2... i could easily kick one to the moon if i needed to, heck, my feet carry me 20-25 miles on these little trips, they sure as heck could handle a 40 lb retarded dog.

anyways... all the more reason to try and get these details worked out.. if i did get attacked by one up there, i would just shoot it (or at least try to in a panic!)

A coyote is far from a retarded dog and if they killed and ate you it would not be the first person to meet their fate in such a way.

chip3757
01-08-2010, 1:13 PM
There is no shoot time for yotes. Best time to hunt them is the middle of the night, light em up and they freeze long enough to put it on them.

simsinca
10-26-2010, 3:33 PM
Agree with post 11 above by CMTH... page 36 of the below link on CA handgun saftey

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

Crom
10-26-2010, 3:40 PM
Agree with post 11 above by CMTH... page 36 of the below link on CA handgun saftey

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

Welcome to the forum! :) Just so you know, this is an old thread...