PDA

View Full Version : TLR-1? TLR-3? TLR-1? TLR-3?

NorCal E
01-07-2010, 7:14 PM
I've got a G23 and im debating between the TLR-1 and TLR-3. The TLR-3 is shorter, brighter, and runs on 1 battery, it looks a little wider though. The TLR-1 is made of aluminum?, has been around for a while, and has a longer run time. I just dont want the TLR-1 to be too bulky on the compact frame. Any feedback would help-Thanks

smittty
01-07-2010, 7:57 PM
I only have experience with the TLR-3, I bought it for my G19 but ended up moving it onto my rifle. I found that it's postitioned a little farther forward on the rail than it should be. I even modified on of the other keys which moved it farther back. Do a google search for images of the TLR-3 on the G19 and you will see a large space between the light and trigger guard. Then do a google image search for the TLR-3 on the XD and you will see how a light should fit on a gun.

Seamaster

plan-b
01-07-2010, 8:40 PM
TLR-1 (135 lumens) is brighter than the TLR-3 (90 lumens). I have both. You'd really have to see them back to back in order to know the difference though. The TLR-3 can fit on larger guns but the reach to the toggle switch might be a bit far.

PutTogether
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I have both the 1 and the 3. The TLR-1 was my surprise purchase of the year. I couldn't believe how nice it was. Tough, well made, super bright, and fit every gun I put it on like a glove. I couldn't believe that for half the price of the surefire, you got such a nice light. This led me to believe that the TLR-3 would be a good purchase. I was wrong. I hate the damn thing. It is flimsy (especially by comparison) and jiggles on every rail I mount it, no matter what key I use. It randomly decides to light up only half way, and in general, feels like crap. To be fair, I'm only as dissapointed as I am because it cost $70. Had it been $20, I would think it was awesome.

In short: The TLR-1 is about a hundred bucks, and feels like it costs more. GREAT.

The TLR-3 cost $70 and feels like it should cost $10 - SUCKS

The TLR-2 (which I don't own) is supposed to be the same as the TLR-1, but with a laser.

Edited to add: The TLR-1 will fit the frame of the G23 perfectly. Won't be too bulky at all.

Saym14
01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
answer: TLR 2 !!!!

ZepoL
01-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I have both the 1 and the 3. The TLR-1 was my surprise purchase of the year. I couldn't believe how nice it was. Tough, well made, super bright, and fit every gun I put it on like a glove. I couldn't believe that for half the price of the surefire, you got such a nice light. This led me to believe that the TLR-3 would be a good purchase. I was wrong. I hate the damn thing. It is flimsy (especially by comparison) and jiggles on every rail I mount it, no matter what key I use. It randomly decides to light up only half way, and in general, feels like crap. To be fair, I'm only as dissapointed as I am because it cost $70. Had it been $20, I would think it was awesome.

In short: The TLR-1 is about a hundred bucks, and feels like it costs more. GREAT.

The TLR-3 cost $70 and feels like it should cost $10 - SUCKS

The TLR-2 (which I don't own) is supposed to be the same as the TLR-1, but with a laser.

Edited to add: The TLR-1 will fit the frame of the G23 perfectly. Won't be too bulky at all.
I agree.
Just have to add that after just a few rounds from my P220, the TLR-3 would turn off. The cap would become loose from the recoil. The TLR-1 would not do this. I've held both side by side and the TLR-1 is slightly brighter. It is just slightly proportionately bigger for the G23 than I would like but I can live with that.

+1 for the TLR-1

smittty
01-08-2010, 12:34 AM
My friend has the TLR-2 with the laser and neither of us feel that the laser was worth the extra cost.

The laser is useless outdoors during daylight but does work OK indoors during the day and of course works good during the night but so does the light. The beam is concentrated enough that simply lighting up your targer puts your sights in the right spot, just like a gigantic wide beam laser.

Also, the laser is only accurate for close distance, 25 yards is too far. It's definitely not accurate enough got a rifle. But I've not found any laser to be accurate enough for a rifle.

I recommend the TLR-3 or TLR-1.

bigchelis
01-08-2010, 1:22 AM
Hi,

I wanted to let people know that the TLR-1 is among the best bang for the buck and you actually get more than what you pay for.

Here is what it actually did in a Calibrated IS Sphere. That Sphere tests lumens for real OTF lumens by MrGman. I have used mine on my G32 with a couple hundred rounds of 357sig to see if it would still function and it did. I also put it on a G35 and G17 and it holds up really well. I would only purchase the Surefire variant because I would and can switch it to a 500 lumen one off custom, but this TLR-1 doesn't allow for such modifications. Last, you can't use rechargeable 3V li-on cells, it only takes primries:rolleyes:

Streamlight_TLR-1_Rail Mount_2X_CR123,_____________________159.8______1 sec
Streamlight_TLR-1_Rail Mount_2X_CR123,_____________________159.2______5 sec
Streamlight_TLR-1_Rail Mount_2X_CR123,_____________________147.9_____30 sec
Streamlight_TLR-1_Rail Mount_2X_CR123,_____________________145.7_____60 sec
Streamlight_TLR-1_Rail Mount_2X_CR123,_____________________146.4____120 sec

JJ1911
01-08-2010, 1:40 AM
I picked the TLR-1 and am very glad I did. I got it for $100 brand new, and it is worth every penny.The only thing is there is no quick detach like the surefires, if that is something you're looking for.

SanSacto
01-08-2010, 1:43 AM
TLR-uno :D

DVLDOC
01-08-2010, 1:49 AM
+1 on TLR 1

PutTogether
01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I forgot to mention. I've had my TLR-1 on both a Glock 21 and a 1911 for a couple of hundred rounds each, 500 or 600 rounds total. After about the 100th round in a single session, the lens is BLACK from carbon build up, but the damn thing STILL shines bright right through it. No, absolutely NO effect from recoil.

I've also had it attached to two different twelve gauges for a grand total of maybe 50-75 rounds of buck and slugs, just to see how it would work. Again, no effect from recoil. It doesn't even wobble.

Saym14
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
just got my TLR 2 - LOVE IT!!!!!!!

dragonbait1a
01-10-2010, 8:54 AM
I really like my TLR-1 with one minor quibble. Getting to the batteries feels like breaking into a bank vault. the upside is that CR123s are good for about 10 years if you don't use them and that battery cap is NOT coming loose during walking, running jumping falling etc. The bad news is that you are NOT going to be changing those batteries on the go. If/when they start to go, you'll need to have a backup light to change to.

This isn't a huge problem, I see two primary users for the TLR-1. Police and Security-type officers who will have a backup light and home defense guns that will sit on nightstands until needed. Neither will have too much of a problem.

RGB

Richie Caketown
01-10-2010, 11:41 PM
TLr 2 :p

Full Clip
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I had a TLR-1 on my XD45 for about a year and thought it was great, but I recently migrated that light to a carbine and bought a TLR-3 as a replacement. Smaller and lighter (no pun), it's a perfect pistol light. That said, the TLR-1 is great.