PDA

View Full Version : 45 ammo feeding issues?

rogdigity
01-07-2010, 4:16 PM
I just got a couple boxes of hornaday TAP 45s.anyone ever have feed issues with them?

gwl
01-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Nope. No issues out of my 1911s.

rogdigity
01-07-2010, 7:40 PM
cool. im going to keep these loaded up in mags in my safe for home defense and i want to make sure they are pretty reliable.

i have also heard of people having lots of feeding issues with 1911s and needing feedramp work done. anyone have experiance with that

Alex$
01-07-2010, 8:50 PM
IMO, any ammunition you are going to bet your life on you should test and practice with in the firearm it is intended to be used with.

All ammunition behaves differently in different guns, it can pattern and feel different across manufacturers as well.

If you are going to use it as your HD ammunition you need to practice with it at the very least one range trip and put several mags worth through your gun as you would expect to use it in a HD scenario.

littlejake
01-07-2010, 8:50 PM
the original design of the 1911 pistol was made for 230 Ball ammo -- i.e. - round nose FMJ. 1911's required a ramped barrel and frame to feed semi-wadcutters popular among target shooters.

I have found hollow points fail to make the transition from magazine, up the ramp and into the chamber.

I wouldn't consider a round for defense that I had not run through a couple of hundred rounds without a single failure to feed.

My 2 cents is to stick with the 230 grain Ball -- it's a big bullet with plenty of stopping power. And the least likely round to fail to feed.

FeuerFrei
01-07-2010, 9:38 PM
Teat your HD ammo before you need it to save a life.
Please!

rogdigity
01-08-2010, 6:44 AM
ya, i planned on it. just got it yesterday after work and am going to the range with it this weekend

gwl
01-08-2010, 8:18 PM
Sorry, I should have added rto test it in your own handgun. Just because it works with my handguns it may not work with yours.

Ducman
01-08-2010, 9:42 PM
+1 on testing your HD ammo, in time of need, you don't wanna say " No Bueno" ??? :TFH:

38super
01-08-2010, 9:52 PM
Throating your barrel will let just about any bullet profile chamber. Throating widens the existing throat chamfer. Search for a guy named BlindHogg, his site has excellent how-to's. One of the few times a dremel comes in handy.

Rob454
01-09-2010, 8:39 AM
I have a Ruger p90 and its a 45. Shot all different kinds of ammo from ball to reload to hollow points ( and a few times i loaded a combo of all different rounds with different casings ( steel alluminum and brass) in one "clip" and it fired all rounds without any problems or misfeeds or anything. i did that with 4 mags one after the other. Granted its not a 1911 but I woudl try out some of the ammo before you depend on it. Either that or learn to quickly clear and rechamber rounds