PDA

View Full Version : Springfield MC Operator 1911 Grip Size?

MasterYong
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
So I just bought one of these. Felt I needed a full-size 1911 and this was the one I picked. I already have a Kimber UCII, and I seem to recall when I purchased mags for that gun I bought "compact" mags.

While my Operator is in the 10-day jail, I figure I should get some mags and other stuff for it. When I try to purchase mags, I get the options "compact," "government," "commander," etc. Anyone know off the top of their head what grip size this gun has? I'm familiar with 1911 handguns to a small degree (can assemble/disassemble and such) but I'm not familiar with the sizes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

halifax
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Government (i.e., full size)

Ducman
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Government (i.e., full size)

what he said :)

MasterYong
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks fellas. Wasn't sure if gov't or commander were the full-size.

wamphyri13
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Govt or commander. Same size.
Govt = full size frame + 5" barrel/slide
Commander = full size frame (shorter dustcover) + 4.25" barrel/slide
Officer/compact = smaller frame + shorter barrel/slide
Long Slide = Awesomeness!
Ryan

civilsnake
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Govt and Commander use the same mags I believe.

Just FYI: From what I've experienced and heard from others, MCOs don't like Wilson Combat mags. All others (including the standard SA ones) seem GTG.

halifax
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Just FYI: From what I've experienced and heard from others, MCOs don't like Wilson Combat mags. All others (including the standard SA ones) seem GTG.

My MCO does just fine with Wilson Combat mags. Can't speak for others though.

civilsnake
01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
My MCO does just fine with Wilson Combat mags. Can't speak for others though.

Mine didn't like them, and after some research that seems to be a common problem for them. Of course there are always going to be ones that are great with everything mixed in there :D

Chief-7700
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

My TRP Operator has no problems with the Wilson 47D mags.

MasterYong
01-07-2010, 1:02 PM
hmmm... and Wilson was what I was going to buy (bought them for my Kimber and they're great).

Guess I'll have to order a couple and see.

Odd that Midway sells mags for government and commanders like they're different... that's what confused me about the whole thing- I knew the MCO didn't take the compact mags but Midway and a few other sites led me to believe that government and commander mags were different.

Sweet.

tacticalcity
01-07-2010, 1:11 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I love Springfield 1911s.

MasterYong
01-07-2010, 1:19 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I love Springfield 1911s.

Thanks! I've never had a SA 1911 (just an XD .45 Tactical and an M1A Scout) but I'd heard that they're pretty high on the list before you get into real custom handguns. I think I'll be pretty happy with it. I really like the balance, but I may change the grips I'm not sure. I like the gunner grips a lot of folks put on 1911s but I also like the extra meat the pachmayr grips add to the front of the frame.

civilsnake
01-07-2010, 1:47 PM
Thanks! I've never had a SA 1911 (just an XD .45 Tactical and an M1A Scout) but I'd heard that they're pretty high on the list before you get into real custom handguns. I think I'll be pretty happy with it. I really like the balance, but I may change the grips I'm not sure. I like the gunner grips a lot of folks put on 1911s but I also like the extra meat the pachmayr grips add to the front of the frame.

Unless it's for cosmetics I would leave the Pachs. They're actually really grippy IMO without being painfully sharp on the hand. They're not soft like Hogues or hard like G10.

MasterYong
01-07-2010, 2:45 PM
Unless it's for cosmetics I would leave the Pachs. They're actually really grippy IMO without being painfully sharp on the hand. They're not soft like Hogues or hard like G10.

It wasn't for cosmetics... when I was in the shop I still had a winter coat on, and my hands were a little sweaty. Basically, the grip felt a little slippery when wet. I'd imagine that G10 is similar. Just thought I'd experiment. I have a similar issue with the factory grips on my Kimber- slippery when wet.

wamphyri13
01-07-2010, 2:48 PM
Grips are cheap. Try as many as necessary.
Ryan

Black Majik
01-07-2010, 3:58 PM
Micarta grips may be a good option, some of those from VZ, or Larry Davidson are really aggressive for great traction. Simmonich's Gunner grips are just as well.

Magazine wise, CMC Shooting Stars, Powermags, Wilson's ETM, 47Ds, or Tripp's Cobramags are all fantastic magazines.

Have fun with that MCO, I'm sorta jealous. :cool2:

MasterYong
01-08-2010, 9:13 AM
Have some power mags on the way, 8 and 10 round flavors to mix up the 7-rounders the MCO comes with (I think they were 7 round... stupid 10-day wait).

Thanks Majik!

MasterYong
01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Alright, so took her out to the range for the first time yesterday...

400 rounds with zero malfunctions of any kind using 5 different mags (2 7-rounders that came with it, 2 10-round power mags, 1 8-round power mag).

This thing shoots WELL. WAY better than I do. I've never shot a pistol that was so smooth and accurate. Least recoil I've ever felt in a .45 too.

All I can say is WOW.

DEFINITELY worth the money.

Imma need to stock up on some more .45 now...

FailedAngrMgmt
01-19-2010, 1:42 AM
thanks for posting ur after range report as well, I've been interested in the MCO for a duty weapon, I think I'm sold...

MasterYong
01-19-2010, 8:23 AM
thanks for posting ur after range report as well, I've been interested in the MCO for a duty weapon, I think I'm sold...

No problem.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have an XD 45 Tactical, G19 9mm, Browning Buckmark Camper, Beretta 92FS, S&W 386, and a Kimber UCII 45, and I've none of them even come close to this weapon. I'd highly recommend it. I've never shot a .45 with so little recoil either. Absolutely amazing. With HD rounds the recoil felt reminiscent of a .22 mag LOL

Crazed_SS
01-19-2010, 4:38 PM
Mine didn't like them, and after some research that seems to be a common problem for them. Of course there are always going to be ones that are great with everything mixed in there :D

I have two Wilson Combat Mags for my MCO. They work great, but when I first got them, one of them wouldnt fall free from the gun when you hit the mag release. I returned it and the replacement mag falls free.

EDIT: I also used the "loaded" coupon that comes with the gun to get a bunch of the cheapie Springfield mags. They work perfect. Got a 10rd mag too and it works fine.