PDA

View Full Version : S&W spitting

plankowner
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
okay gentleman I have a Smith And Wesson 586 that I have had for quite a while and have not shot it in years but I would say it has had about 800 or so rounds maybe more of mixed 38 and .357 and the last time I took it out I fired .357 out of it and it spit out and burned my arm and also the neighbor next to me. is this the timing ? and if so do you have any recommendations as to a smith who can fix this and maybe how much would it cost and how long would it take? I am planning to go to the range and would reallly like to drag this thing with me when I go.

Argonaut
01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The timing is off.......A simple fix by most smiths. The factory would probably fix it for free, they will check and upgrade the entire gun at the same time.

9mmepiphany
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
i send all my S&W revolver work to Randy Lee at www.ApexTactical.com

liketoshoot
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes it is timing, call S&W, they make it better.

paul0660
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
It also just may be dirty. Clean the heck out of it.

Snapping Twig
01-07-2010, 4:01 PM
In addition to timing, the forcing cone may need to be dialed in. A gunsmith can do this quite easily.

I shoot lead, so I get mine cut to 11 degrees as opposed to the factory 18 degree cut.

WINGEDSWORD
01-07-2010, 4:22 PM
From long experience, If you live in Los Angeles I can highly recommend two shops. Both do excellent work. Gun Kings Armory in Glendale and Bain and Davis in San Gabriel

huckberry668
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I used to shoot PPC and Bianchi withe SW revolvers. We go 1,000 round before cleaning sometimes. Dirty didn't seem to cause spitting problems.

Timing and forcing cone can both cause the problem. I've see revolvers with spitting problems caused by bent yoke/ejector rod causing the cylinders to be wobbly. The user had a habit of snapping the cylinder shut with 1 hand holding the gun. That's why when I buy a revolver, I use a range rod to check cylinder alignment.

DougJ
01-08-2010, 7:22 AM
S&W should take care of this for you, I agree it's probably a timing issue. Before you go there however, have you given the action a good cleaning? If it's been sitting for a long time it might be all gummed up.

g17owner
01-08-2010, 9:18 AM
What model 586 is it? If it is a no dash model then s&w will do a mod to it and stamp an M next to the serial on the inside of the crane. I cant remember what exactly it is at the moment but most s&w purists dont like it and it hurts the collector value. These L frames will one day be collectable. Most who are into revolvers already know these were probably the best combat magnums ever built. Strong, small framed and fixed the forcing cone issues the K frames had.

Timberwolf
01-08-2010, 9:25 AM
Agree with the rest - many moon ago I was a S&W armorer - if its got a lot of rounds through it my money is on it being out of tune, a common thing with usage - its a simple and common fix for most gunsmiths that have experience with S&W revolvers.

plankowner
01-11-2010, 5:35 AM
What model 586 is it? If it is a no dash model then s&w will do a mod to it and stamp an M next to the serial on the inside of the crane. I cant remember what exactly it is at the moment but most s&w purists dont like it and it hurts the collector value. These L frames will one day be collectable. Most who are into revolvers already know these were probably the best combat magnums ever built. Strong, small framed and fixed the forcing cone issues the K frames had.

mine has the M stamped on it and I bought this thing when I turned 21 it was my first handgun ,I am 43 now so this has been with me for awhile it is in beautiful shape and it has been sitting for awhile as I got onto other things and forgot about having to work on it, so thanks to all the replies I guess it's time to get get some tlc.

g17owner
01-11-2010, 7:58 AM
I see an earlyy convert. Makes sense as that time period is when the recall went out. At that time you had alot more of these in the hands of LEO and the gen population. Great guns and i'd return it to its home for the repairs.