PDA

View Full Version : AR15 home tool list?

glock_this
12-16-2005, 6:43 AM
so, what are the general 'everyday' tools (do not want to be a pro gun smith - just home shop) needed to work on an AR15 so that a home user novice can install the uper to the lower and add and remove general pieces (handles, sights, stocks, hand gaurd, etc.) doing general work?

From what little I see:

- 3/32 punch (or drift punch set)
- tele stock wrench
- some sort of combo wrench (like Bushmaster sells)
- barrel wrench (for flash suppressor and receiver extensions)
- Receiver Push Pin Tool
- small jewlers flat head screwdrivers

(what am I missing)

-hanko
12-16-2005, 7:16 AM
I would add a set of roll pin punches and an upper receiver vise block. Headspace gauges are nice to have.

-hanko

delloro
12-16-2005, 7:40 AM
you should have a pin punch set anyways, they are not much, get a good one, like sears.

roll pin punches are super nice to have, Lyman has a reasonable set, it's the smaller ones you will use most.

if you get the big combo wrench, that's fine, but it does not work for free float forends. for those you need a strap wrench.

if you mean barrel vise, I guess, but you can make your own.

you will need a big screwdriver for the buttstock. you will need a receiver block, too.

don't touch barrel extensions, why would you? they are set by the barrelmaker. unless you will be doing some serious barrel work, you won't ever need to touch one.

receiver push pin tool? just get a nylon drift, they are otherwise useful.

BigAL
12-16-2005, 2:01 PM
The above folks pretty much got the tools covered. But I would also recommend you keep spare parts on hand as well. A complete spare bolt is a nice idea but at least have a spare extractor, set of gas rings, extractor spring, firing pin, and a few firing pin retaining pins.

xsquid
12-17-2005, 8:57 PM
If your going to do any re-barreling your going to need a good vise and a torque wrench and some of the other tools already mentioned. A handguard removal tool is handy too - when and if you ever get it back from friends who borrow it.... ;)