PDA

View Full Version : Carmel Woman Spots Three Mountain Lions

acegunnr
12-16-2005, 5:51 AM
Carmel Woman Spots Three Mountain Lions (http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/5538566/detail.html)
Big Cats Seen On Genista Way

CARMEL, Calif. -- A Carmel woman said she spotted three mountain lions outside her home and now she wants to make sure other residents are aware of their presence.

The big cats were seen above High Meadows, near the top of Hatten Canyon. The mountain lions were seen walking down a driveway on Genista Way.

State fish and game officials said it is possible that three mountain lions were spotted together, and that they were likely a mother and her cubs.

Carol Garcia said she spotted the animals about 7 a.m. Sunday. She immediately called neighbors to warn them.

"My whole thing was to contact people and make them aware and especially because there were three -- not two, not one -- there were three of them," Garcia said.

Officials said anywhere there are deer there are likely to be mountain lions, so it is unwise to feed deer near your home. It's also against the law.

Mountain lions have been spotted in the area above Hatten Canyon before, but few people have reported seeing three at a time.

Roboshred
12-17-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a mini ranch on Lake Oroville and ran into a small mountainlion
on it a few months back. It was young with spots and ran into a
tree when I froze up. This wasn't a big deal until 2 weeks later when my
neighbor watched a mature mountain lion jump over a 6" fence with a 50lb.
goat in it's mouth. I ended up calling the DFG biologist for the area
and his words were "if your seen by a mountain lion, your on the menu"!
He wanted to know if I wanted a predation permit but I declined.They
won't relocate the animals that predate because of liability issues and
they don't want the animals in an around parks/trails (both of which
are near my spot). He said they can clear the public to harvest the
animals on private property well before anything can be done on public land.
I used to carry a 66 4" until I ran into a bear last month. Now I carry a
44 mag. I won't hike around there without a firearm as a safety measure.

jtv3062
12-17-2005, 5:27 PM
I respect your decision in not taking the permit to harvest the lion. most people (the enviro's libs) love the outdoors buying house near predator habitat and when they see or hear there's bear lion or wolves are near by the want to kill them so they'll be safe. I use to subscribe to backpacker mag they did a article on this about wolves and half of the response mail will to eliminate the wolves. it's always not in my back yard syndrome

JAFGO
12-17-2005, 8:11 PM
I wish I could see a mountain lion in my backyard. I'd shoot it for sure!!!

WITH MY CAMERA! :D

All I get to see in my yard are those boring black bears, coons, grey fox and skunks.

capitol
12-17-2005, 8:24 PM
I ended up calling the DFG biologist for the area
and his words were "if your seen by a mountain lion, your on the menu"!

A DFG Officer told you that? Pretty irresponsible comment if you ask me. How many animals have you encountered that are hunting you?
The state of California needs/will allow hunting of Mountain Lions sooner or later.
Trust me

outfittu
01-09-2006, 3:01 PM
I would have shot the Moutain lion. Then again im a security/EP guy and were paid not to take chances.

icormba
01-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Carmel Woman Spots Three Mountain Lions (http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/5538566/detail.html)

Officials said anywhere there are deer there are likely to be mountain lions, so it is unwise to feed deer near your home. It's also against the law.

DOH!! ;)
http://icormba.com/pages/Pictures/9_19_2000carmel/doh.jpg

Fjold
01-11-2006, 9:55 AM
What's the right club for deer, a 2 iron?

NRAhighpowershooter
01-11-2006, 1:37 PM
aaahh.. yes... 17mile drive in Montery :-) I love driving there once a year... I DROOL verry heavily when seeing some of the BIG bucks that show up at sinrise.....