PDA

View Full Version : newbie confused about A2, A4?

glock_this
12-16-2005, 6:32 AM
So, I read references to A2 and A4 that often imply "characteristics of the M16A2 or characteristics of the M16A4".... but WHAT are the exact 'characteristics' of an A2 or an A4?

The reason this really comes up is that I was looking at the Complete Upper Halves (like at RRA) and I see you could pick "A2 or A4 uppers" but I cannot see/understand a difference?

Also, on a side note, what is the diff between an "elite" and "tactical" upper?

fal_762x51
12-16-2005, 6:43 AM
The A2 has the carry handle forged on the upper, the A3/A4 has 1913 rails on the top for detachable: carry handle, scope, red dot, mall ninja tactical lasers, etc. Go to Model 1's website, they have pictures :D

glock_this
12-16-2005, 6:45 AM
guess that clears it up. so, A4 is more modular in the long run?

-hanko
12-16-2005, 6:45 AM
So, I read references to A2 and A4 that often imply "characteristics of the M16A2 or characteristics of the M16A4".... but WHAT are the exact 'characteristics' of an A2 or an A4?

The reason this really comes up is that I was looking at the Complete Upper Halves (like at RRA) and I see you could pick "A2 or A4 uppers" but I cannot see/understand a difference?

Also, on a side note, what is the diff between an "elite" and "tactical" upper?
An A2 upper uses a rear sight attached to a carry handle; the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.. The handle is an integral part of the upper receiver.

An A4 is a flat top upper, designed to mount an optical sight; it may use a removeable carry handle that can utilize the A2 sight.

Both 'tactical' and 'elite' uppers are functionally identical, both are marketing terms designed to add $$ to the manufacturer's sales line. I guess it depends if you see yourself as either tactical or eleite, or maybe a combination of both. :rolleyes:

-hanko

BigAL
12-16-2005, 2:43 PM
If you are going to mount any kind of optic get the flat top upper. The A2 is the way to go if you are sure you will stick to fixed sights.

"Tactical" and "Mil-spec" are all terms that are thrown around in the AR industry. You have to be careful what you believe as many unscrupulous companies will advertise the crap they sell using these terms. Kinda like Vulcan saying they make the "machine guns of the special forces". Total BS.