PDA

View Full Version : help with XP: PROBLEM FIXED

Blackhawk556
01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
PROBLEM FIXED HERE IS WHAT I DID[/B]

[B]Open regedit from filesystem

1.C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe (!!!! A backup of your registry is recommended before doing this in File -> Export. you will need to highlight any text and copy it so you can paste in a filename since your keyboard doesnt work :) )
2.Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> HARDWARE -> DEVICEMAP -> KeyboardClass
3.In the righthand pane you will something like “\Device\KeyboardClass1 ” double click on this and a small window will open up named Edit String.
4.From this point you will see a text field labeled “Value Data” with something like “\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\K bdclass” with your mouse highlight Kbdclass, Right-click, select “copy” then hit “cancel“.
5.After you have copied the text “Kbdclass“, select the Edit -> Find -> from the toolbar, paste the text “Kbdclass” that you copied in and hit “Find Next“.
6.Your results if everything has been going as planned should display several registry entries. We are only concerned with one of them and the name is UpperFilters. Double click on UpperFilters and make sure that Kbdclass is the only entry in that window. if there is another entry in the window highlight the entry with your mouse, Right-click -> “cut“. This will remove the entry/entries.
Reboot your computer

UPDATE: ok under device manager code 41 went away i really don't know what i did. it say device is working fine but the keyboard doesn't work though

keyboard (PS/2) stopped working the other day so I thought it just died out or something. I ended up getting another keyboard (USB) and plugged it in and it didn't work either. I went on microsoft's website to download the drivers and still nothing worked. I've tried reinstalling, disabling, and everything I can think of and nothing.

I get a message saying something like this:

windows as installed the drivers correctly but can not find the hardware code 41.

I looked up code 41 and it says it has something to do with the drivers not installed correctly but i know i got the right one. I've tried different usb ports and still nothing and I've tried the new keyboard on another computer to make sure it works.

anyone know how to fix this problem. PLEASE

thanks in advance

NaughtyMonkey
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
So the mouse works in another computer? Do you have any other USB device to plug into the USB ports to see if that device will work? Its possible your USB ports are bad.

Blackhawk556
01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
So the mouse works in another computer? Do you have any other USB device to plug into the USB ports to see if that device will work? Its possible your USB ports are bad.

the mouse???? I'm not sure why your bring up the mouse.

I'm currently using a usb mouse and that works but not the usb keyboard.

IsaacGlass
01-06-2010, 11:52 PM

What type of computer is this, laptop, desktop? make, model? With the old PS2 keyboard in place, can you access the computers BIOS? and does the keyboard work then?

Blackhawk556
01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
What type of computer is this, laptop, desktop? make, model? With the old PS2 keyboard in place, can you access the computers BIOS? and does the keyboard work then?

the usb keyboard works when i entered bios so i know the computer does recgonize it there.

its a desktop hp pavilion a1620n

nick
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM

Try accessing the BIOS at startup with that USB keyboard. Also, if it's a Dell, try plugging it into the FIRST USB port (you'll find the first port by just plugging it into various ports, or by reading the service manual, Dell has those on their support site). Some Dells (and a few non-Dells) have that issue. Or get another PS/2 keyboard.

I presume you've restarted that computer at some point after plugging in that new keyboard, right? :)

Blackhawk556
01-07-2010, 1:13 AM
Try accessing the BIOS at startup with that USB keyboard. Also, if it's a Dell, try plugging it into the FIRST USB port (you'll find the first port by just plugging it into various ports, or by reading the service manual, Dell has those on their support site). Some Dells (and a few non-Dells) have that issue. Or get another PS/2 keyboard.

I presume you've restarted that computer at some point after plugging in that new keyboard, right? :)

i've tried accessing the bios with the usb keyboard and it works. it's not a dell. when i check the keyboard in device manager/properties the location says "0" Is that normal?

IsaacGlass
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
i've tried accessing the bios with the usb keyboard and it works. it's not a dell. when i check the keyboard in device manager/properties the location says "0" Is that normal?

IRQ should be 01. Have tried rolling back the driver? and if dont work uninstall driver, unplug KB from USB port, reboot computer and then plug KB into USB allowing Windows to search for new hardware.

Blackhawk556
01-07-2010, 1:30 PM
IRQ should be 01. Have tried rolling back the driver? and if dont work uninstall driver, unplug KB from USB port, reboot computer and then plug KB into USB allowing Windows to search for new hardware.

I haven't tried rolling back the driver, I've just tried the new driver from the microsoft hardware website. I've tried what you mentioned but the problem is that windows says it found the right driver but now the keyboard just doesn't work. they weird thing is that the calculator button on the keyboard works but nothing else. the lights on the keyboard don't turn on either.

I've been checking online and some people say that a registry line is the problem. I've tried everything I found online and still nothing

any other suggestions?